PDA

View Full Version : chanticleer tenors

Charles E.
Nov-08-2008, 5:56pm
After seeing some pics of chanticleer tenor guitars in this fourm I am curious. I tried to find info on the web but came up empty. Does any one know the builders web page or contact info?

Charley

danb
Nov-09-2008, 3:17am
The builder's name is Patrick Arbuthnot. I've replied with his email address via PM

Charles E.
Nov-09-2008, 10:01am
Thanks Dan!

Charley

danb
Nov-09-2008, 11:31am
Thanks Dan!

Charley

No problem. He's also a gentleman, relaxed and easy to work with. I prefer his instruments to the vintage pieces too- I sold my national and gave the money to Patrick in exchange for one of his tenors.

Charles E.
Nov-09-2008, 4:56pm
[QUOTEI prefer his instruments to the vintage pieces too- I sold my national and gave the money to Patrick in exchange for one of his tenors.[/QUOTE]

I currently play a 1931 National Triolian tenor, an instrument would have to be pretty special to beat it. From the photo's however they look pretty darn special!

Charley

danb
Nov-09-2008, 5:12pm
Here's mine in the front, my old national in the back around the time I was borrowing it from Patrick.

Funny story- Where I ended up living is fairly rural in the grand scheme of things, we're out in the countryside in the UK near where my wife grew up. Anyway, I thought I was being fairly maverick by taking an old national tuned tenor into an Irish session to play GDAE like a tenor banjo. A guy in the pub was listening quietly with some friends, then caught me on the way to the bar and said "Do you mind if I have a look at your tenor?". I showed it to him and he said "Oh I make these as well". I thought "No you don't!", but he then went out to his car and produced a tenor he'd made.. which he'd also already set up GDAE Irish-style.

I played it and really quite enjoyed it, so he said "Well borrow it then, you can bring it back next week". Around that time I posted a few pictures on the cafe here, and I don't think it was too much longer that I purchased it.

Anyway, that's still one of my favorite session axes. I take that out and bounce the tuning between GDAD and GDAE several times in a given night.

Charles E.
Nov-09-2008, 6:03pm
He just met you and then gave it to you to borrow for a week?! Amazing. It speaks well of his ability to read people perhaps.

Michael Wolf
Nov-10-2008, 4:29am
I found my Chanticleer in a Banjo collection here in Germany. I didn't know anything about the builder, but it was obviously a very well made and great sounding instrument. I got the info about Patrick later from Sean Moyses, a british Jazz Banjoplayer who lives in Germany. Patrick is a very friendly person and we had some contact since then.
He has also made some tenor bodies and sent them to Andreas Köpke here in Germany who completed them. These are very nice. Last weekend we played a concert in a theatre and we had one of these and my own one in the band. That was very interesting, especially since one is a tricone.

This is the tricone in a single cone body. Neck and assembly by Andreas Köpke http://www.bouzouki.de/index.html, body made by Patrick. The build quality is superb.