PDA

View Full Version : Cropredy

Bobbie Dier
Jul-16-2004, 2:28pm
The Cropredy Festival is Aug 12-14. Anyone here going? I am and I can't wait! Jethro Tull ,The Oyster Band and Fairport Convention are all going to be there plus many others. They will also have a TANKER TRUCK full of BEER that we will help empty(we will do our best, that's all you can do). It is a fantastic festival. Hope to see you.
ima

Django Fret
Jul-16-2004, 4:40pm
Imapickn, where and when is this festival? It sounds great! Is there any Web site that you can post with more info? Also, do you know what kind of beer is in that tanker?

Bobbie Dier
Jul-16-2004, 5:00pm
Hi! Here is the link.

http://www.faircrop.co.uk/index.htm

The beer is Wadworth 6X. They also have Hook Norton (Old Hookey) among other good brews. The festival is north of London About 100 miles (km ?) It's Aug 12- 14 th, 2004

Fairport Convention will be in Black Mtn NC in Oct at the Lake Eden Arts Festival!!
No tanker truck just good music and( maybe some micro brews).

Django Fret
Jul-19-2004, 5:24pm
Imapickn,

Boy, that really sounds like a great festival, and wish it was a little closer. Please post some pics, since it looks like a lot of fun.

Any chance you could talk Jethro Tull into coming to NC? That would be a concert within driving distance. (See about the free beer, while you are at it?)

Bobbie Dier
Jul-19-2004, 5:59pm
Who knows!! Maybe I'll get close enough to Ian Anderson to ask him. I hear you can run into a lot of the performers at the bar right there on the field. Those guys are very friendly and like to mingle with the crowd. Jethro Tull was in NC last summer I believe it was in Charlotte. Don't know if he'll be touring the US again this year. Free beer? He might buy you one http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif .

Django Fret
Jul-19-2004, 6:41pm
Who knows!! Maybe I'll get close enough to Ian Anderson to ask him. I hear you can run into a lot of the performers at the bar right there on the field. Those guys are very friendly and like to mingle with the crowd. Jethro Tull was in NC last summer I believe it was in Charlotte. Don't know if he'll be touring the US again this year. Free beer? He might buy you one #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif .
Boy, would that be an honor from one of my all time favorite rock musicians! Who knew the flute could be such a powerful rock instrument?

See what you can do, and if you see him, tell him that he has influenced more people than he knows...

Bobbie Dier
Jul-19-2004, 8:15pm
If I get to talk to him ,I'll tell him that.

Django Fret
Jul-20-2004, 8:34pm
The Cropredy Festival is Aug 12-14. #Anyone here going? I am and I can't wait! Jethro Tull ,The Oyster Band and Fairport Convention are all going to be there plus many others.
imapickn, I hope that you will try to take some pictures and post them so the rest of us can enjoy them?

Bobbie Dier
Jul-21-2004, 6:01am
I have some pictures from last year, I'll post them a little later(gotta get them together/find them). I am taking a good camera this year. Last year I took some disposable cameras because we were backpacking after the festival. I'm just going to put up with a little extra weight this year and take a good camera. Thanks for your interest. It is fun, I wish I could take everyone with me.
ima

Bobbie Dier
Jul-21-2004, 4:40pm
This is me and a cool guy from the US at the Banbury train station on sunday after the festival. Hey to cool guy if you are on here!

Bobbie Dier
Jul-21-2004, 4:44pm
This is from the back of the field. All of the umbrellas were for the hot sun(heat wave last year). This was pretty early in the day the crowd was still small.

Bobbie Dier
Jul-21-2004, 4:49pm
This is my husband goin in the gate. My mandolin was in the backpack he is carrying. Everything else was in the tent.

Martin Jonas
Jul-22-2004, 3:32am
I'll probably be there. I've been to ten of the last thirteen festivals and will try my level best to be there this year. Only problem is that I may be overseas for work with an uncertain return date.

Martin

Bobbie Dier
Jul-22-2004, 3:51am
martinjonas,
I hope you do make it.It would be so nice to meet you.This is going to be a great festival with the lineup that they have this year. If you do get to go please email me through the cafe and we will try to get together somewhere. We will be camping on the cricket field near the pavillion. It is close to the village and is very convienient to groceries,water etc. We will be there thusday and leave very early on Sunday am.
I just love meeting other cafe members!!
ima

Django Fret
Jul-22-2004, 8:40pm
Imapickn, thanks for posting those pictures. I hope you an your family have a great time, a safe trip, and a very uneventful return.

Bobbie Dier
Jul-23-2004, 4:07am
Thank you very much!!

Bobbie Dier
Aug-06-2004, 12:52pm
Just a few more days now until the festival. I hear it is going to be a sell out.

Every year the #@%$&*+&^%$#@ terrorists start something. Jerks!!! Getting on a plane is scarry enough without that to worry about.

Adare_Steve
Aug-19-2004, 9:16am
Every year the #@%$&*+&^%$#@ terrorists start something. Jerks!!!
What a lovely way to refer to a terrorist. It's a bit like calling Richard Nixon a 'fibber' and Jeffrey Dahmer a 'young rascal'!

I first saw Jethro Tull in 1972, and have been to about 20 of their gigs since. I met Ian Anderson in 1990, and he signed an album cover for me. Unfortunately I've never been to Cropredy once in the many years it's been going. Probably because I've never been a 'Fairport' fan. This despite the fact that I was backstage at a Tull gig when Dave Pegg tuned his mandolin next to me and played it like no one I'd ever heard in my life! Amazing stuff!

Steve Power

Martin Jonas
Aug-19-2004, 10:03am
Probably because I've never been a 'Fairport' fan. This despite the fact that I was backstage at a Tull gig when Dave Pegg tuned his mandolin next to me and played it like no one I'd ever heard in my life! Amazing stuff!
Glad to say that at Cropredy this year, three of the five Fairport band members played mandolin at various times (Chris Leslie, Dave Pegg and Ric Sanders). Leslie played an F5-clone (couldn't see the head stock clear enough to say which one) for most of the 3-1/2 hour Fairport set and for a few tunes switched to a flattop mandola and a solid-body electric. Pegg played a Crafter on one or two tunes and Sanders used Leslie's F5 for one tune. Strange to think that Pegg has only just auctioned off a 1910s Gibson A and two Vandens and now plays a Crafter on stage...

Lovely tone to Leslie's mandolin, by the way. Imapickin: sorry I missed you. I arrived only on Friday (work commitments taking their toll) and didn't make it to the Pavilion until an hour after I said I'd meet you.

Martin

mandobob
Aug-19-2004, 3:25pm
EDIT: Deleted misguided comment about Crafter!
I know Mr. Pegg was selling at the request of the soon to be ex Mrs. Pegg, darn shame.

Bobbie Dier
Aug-27-2004, 11:43am
Martinjonas,

I sent you a private message via this web site. Please let me know if you got it. It said your private message to---- has been sent . I can't tell if it went through.

ima

Richard Singleton
Aug-28-2004, 12:35pm
Hi, I'm very envious of you folks who got to go to Cropredy! Only have been once in 86. The last time I saw Fairport in the states 2 years ago, Chris was playing an Ozark F5 copy. #I'm looking forward to seeing Fairport in October in New York area. I also recently picked up some old Whippersnapper lps, great mando work by Chris!

Bobbie Dier
Aug-29-2004, 10:16am
Richard Singleton,
The festival was even better than last year! I didn't think that could be possible but it was. If you want to see some pictures and reviews see http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php.
ima