PDA

View Full Version : Loving Lydia!

Ken Olmstead
Nov-07-2008, 10:56pm
Working up Lydia O'Lydia from Ted's new book! This is what I came up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SieAo9TNl-Q

Besides being an excellent book for learning all thing jazz mando and beyond, Ted has written some nice example tunes to work from. Check out the REAL pros here! :)

http://jazzmando.com/webtracks.shtml

LKN2MYIS
Nov-08-2008, 6:52am
Beautifully done

Ted's book is phenomenal. Really opening up my mind and fingers.

JEStanek
Nov-08-2008, 8:31am
Great job, Ken. Nice product placement too.

Jamie

F5GRun
Nov-08-2008, 9:06am
Very Cool, and that mando sounds great with that amp!

Bill Auld
Nov-08-2008, 9:47am
Very nicely done all around, Ken - great tone, chording, etc.!

Ken Olmstead
Nov-08-2008, 9:58am
Thanks you guys! I had so much fun taking the music and just creating with it! I tried to emphisize the raised forth as much as possible to give it that lydian lush sound. The extended chord progression makes it very difficult to keep the solo interesting. Ted mentions that in the book. I thought it would be easier from an improvisational standpoint, wrong! It is hard to be interesting over 8 bars of the same chord!! I even thought about making the solo section a series of ii V I chords but I am glad I stuck with it! Really a very enjoyable challenge. Jazz is that way though, you are given a chord progression and the basic melody and you are encouraged to be creative. TOOOOO MUCH FUN!!

Jamie you noticed! :)) Well, when I found Movie Maker on my computer (lucky for you or you would have to see my backside as I walk from the camera to the chair...not a pretty site:)) ) I decided that a little edit here, some credits there and the professionalism of product placement would enhance the movie goer's viewing experience! :grin:

I would love to see/hear what other folks are doing with Ted's songs as you get them worked up!!

MandoSquirrel
Nov-09-2008, 3:34pm
Great job; I loved it, & saved it to my file of Ted's extras for the book, hope you don't mind.
Might be worthwhile for more folks to post vid's or sound clips of what they've accomplished.

Ken Olmstead
Nov-10-2008, 1:13am
Great job; I loved it, & saved it to my file of Ted's extras for the book, hope you don't mind.
Might be worthwhile for more folks to post vid's or sound clips of what they've accomplished.

I am glad you liked it, thanks! I probably should have done it as a close up of my fretboard so I could share a bit of what I'm doing, maybe next time. I'm glad you could save it, wish I knew how! :))

MandoSquirrel
Nov-10-2008, 4:56pm
I'm glad you could save it, wish I knew how! :))

Part of the trick is using Mozilla Firefox browser, the other part is downloading the right plugins/extensions to it. Download Helper sits in the toolbar next to the address bar, & when a page has a media file, usually a click on it will allow saving that media. Works with YouTube & most others.

Elliot Luber
Nov-10-2008, 8:23pm
Sounds good. I may have to get that book.

Ken Olmstead
Nov-13-2008, 1:07am
Thanks Santiago! Ted's book is simply a "must have!"