PDA

View Full Version : My new "old time" Weber

Flanagan
Jul-16-2004, 9:03am
I recently received my new Weber Absaroka. Paula Jean and everyone at Weber helped me design this old time mandolin - from the spruce selection for the top, the "aged" binding, rope rosette, oval hole position, and final color selections. The combination of #the spruce top and mahogany back and sides, ( Bruce's #"recipe"), made for a beautiful sweet and mellow sound. I could not be more pleased with the results! #After sending several photos of old mandolins and many phone conversations, the folks at Weber proceeded to build this mandolin for me, calling several times during the process to clarify any issues. #They even called me the day they were doing the color just to make sure we were on the same page with it! #Many thanks to the folks at Weber!

mandoryan
Jul-16-2004, 9:10am
very cool! It looks like an old teens gibson in color but with a modern kick. Very nice.

phynie
Jul-16-2004, 9:49am
sweet!!!!!

keithd
Jul-16-2004, 10:02am
Very nice Flanagan - congratulations! Do show us more. Just curious, what made you decide to go with Weber for this project; there are at least a few other highly regarded builders that make a modern twist on the teens Gibson, or even a close copy. Did you start out with Weber in mind?

It sure looks great, and I'll bet it plays great too. Any chance of you posting a sound clip?

Keith

Russ(String-Alley)
Jul-16-2004, 11:41am
I dig!
the top looks like they added a nice toner to it. looks super sweet. Bet she plays that way too.
congrats!
-Russ

biomando
Jul-16-2004, 11:56am
That's one beautiful instrument!

Flanagan
Jul-16-2004, 12:07pm
Hey Keith,

My relationship with Weber began last December with the purchase of a custom finished Bitterroot F at my dealer's shop. I sold my junk mandos and only played the Weber - 2 - 3 hours every night. As a result the mandolin opened up very quickly, producing a sound that could actually be heard with all the fiddles at the barn dances! Everyone who played or heard it praised its sound.

After researching old Gibson A's on Ebay, Elderly,and here, I realized I might have to buy one "sight and sound unseen and unheard", and also saw the prices rising at auction to unreasonable levels. I contacted Paula Jean at Weber, who spoke at length with me about the construction of an A style mandolin with some old time touches. My loyalty to Ken Tobias, (my dealer in Downers Grove, IL), and the VERY helpful people at Weber made for an easy decision.

I'll post some close ups, but when I attached my photo file I got kicked back with a message stating that my image , (jpeg), was too large. By the time I reduced it enough, it became the tiny photo you see above. Can I post a larger image a different way?

Best wishes

PhilGE
Jul-16-2004, 2:37pm
Flanagan, to post larger pix, try some of the following:

Take photos of the instrument against a solid color background. The more complex the background, the larger the file size (more info to process).

Check your JPEG compression settings. You may have low compression, therefore high image quality. Try setting your software to produce "medium" quality JPEGs.

Here's your image "compressed" to about 28K instead of the 72K of the original.

Wadefox
Jul-16-2004, 3:06pm
That is a beauty. I have an Absaroka with f-holes, but have been thinking of getting an oval-hole instrument. That's mighty tempting.

keithd
Jul-16-2004, 3:16pm
Sounds like a great process. I'd like to get a chance to play more Webers; often they are not well set up in music stores, even the good stores, so it's hard to judge. Was it a lot more costly to make these modifications to the Absaroka? There are actually more photos of your mandolin posted on the Weber website under custom mandolins. Enjoy!

Keith

Flanagan
Jul-16-2004, 6:25pm
Hey Keith,

My dealer, Ken Tobias, has a great working relationship with Weber, Martin, and Taylor. When I ordered my mandolins I was able to call Paula Jean at Weber and request just how I wanted them set up. Ken talks with them frequently and sells MANY of their mandolins in just about any configuration one could imagine. I've seen "F"s without the standard headstock and cedar tops, and a wide variety of finishes on standard models. The folks at Weber love a a challenge. As for the extras, ( rope purfling, custom finish, radiused fretboard, etc.), the cost was very affordable - $100 for the radius, and the same for the finish. I can't stress enough the importance of my relationship with Ken over the past 25 years. Purchases, repairs, consignment sales, etc., and the circle of players I hang out with who ALL deal with him, make for happy times.

Thanks for the tip on the photos - I'll shoot and post some more when I get back to the studio on Monday.

Best wishes

Flanagan
Jul-19-2004, 7:23am
Howdy boys,

Here are those close ups I promised.

Best wishes

Flanagan
Jul-19-2004, 7:25am
Close up #2

jmkatcher
Jul-19-2004, 10:28am
That is such a gorgeous instrument!

ira
Jul-19-2004, 10:42am
simply beautiful! enjoy!

Russ(String-Alley)
Jul-19-2004, 10:55am
Fantastic! another great Weber!
cheers
Russ
(aka: The Weberphille )

Tom C
Jul-19-2004, 11:53am
Beauty. They should make that part of their standard line of mandos.

Mando Andy G
Jul-21-2004, 9:22pm
Looks super old. COOL! How does it sound???

Flanagan
Jul-22-2004, 4:44pm
Hey Andy,

I'm extremely pleased with the sound of this mandolin. Although it does not yet have the volume of my Bitterroot, (which I've been playing since Christmas), I believe it will open up in a few months. When I play a tune with the Bitterrot and follow immediately with the same tune on the Absaroka, the difference in tone is significant. The Bitterroot has a flatter, shallower tone, and the Absaroka has a much more mellow and full tone to my ear. I enjoy both equally, and as my "ear" develops I will probably make my choices based on what type of music I'll be playing, or where I'll be playing. Or I might just say "screw it", and bring both with me everywhere I go!

Best wishes...

Eugene
Jul-22-2004, 5:36pm
This piece is truly groovy. Congrats! I love the fully functional fingerboard terminus without superficial scoopage.

JeffS
Jul-22-2004, 9:28pm
Oh wow. I really like the looks of it. I'd have to seriously consider one of those if it made it to their line.

rixter
Jul-22-2004, 10:09pm
Boy howdy, that just sets my mind on fire with possibilities!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif