PDA

View Full Version : Marty Stuart & Bill Monroe

JeffD
Nov-05-2008, 10:44am
I guess if your playing with Bill, you let him take the mandolin you take the guitar.

Not that Marty is any slacker on guitar.

Just beautiful, beautiful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NcCgsAMxhs

evanreilly
Nov-05-2008, 6:32pm
I am certain Marty could stand next to WSM with a mandolin and acquit himself just as well!

JeffD
Nov-05-2008, 6:36pm
I am certain Marty could stand next to WSM with a mandolin and acquit himself just as well!

Oh, I agree. But that's just not the thing to do. :))

f5loar
Nov-05-2008, 10:23pm
Monroe over his many years performing has been paired both on stage and in the studio with many other mandolin pickers including Marty.

JeffD
Nov-05-2008, 11:45pm
Monroe over his many years performing has been paired both on stage.

I would love to see that. I saw a video of Ricky Skaggs playing with Bill, but, like Marty, he played guitar.

Oh and Bills microphone stand slipped down in that one too, or is that deliberate?

Timbofood
Nov-06-2008, 11:42am
I am reminded of the famous quote from Lester Flatt when Marty was quite young(13-14?) sharing a show with WSM, "You better play it right, 'Cause he's right over there watchin'" Then, they tear off into a blistering cut of "Rawhide" As I recall, they don't say much after but, I bet they did after the show!

JeffD
Nov-06-2008, 11:44am
I am reminded of the famous quote from Lester Flatt when Marty was quite young(13-14?) sharing a show with WSM, "You better play it right, 'Cause he's right over there watchin'" Then, they tear off into a blistering cut of "Rawhide" As I recall, they don't say much after but, I bet they did after the show!

Ohhh man, to have been a fly on the wall during that one. :))

MadMax
Nov-06-2008, 1:15pm
Continuing the theme of reminiscing, I recall Bill Monroe appearing on Lester Flatt's 5:45 AM Martha White Show on WSM sometime in the middle 1970's. Bill didn't have the Blue Grass Boys with him -- he was backed by the Nashville Grass. Bill played one of his standards (it may have been "Uncle Pen") which immediately sounded different because of the presence of Charlie Nixon's dobro. Somewhere in the middle of the tune, Marty Stuart took a break and put in some guitar hot runs. After the tune was over, Lester jokingly apologized to Bill and said something like, "I hope Marty didn't mess you up with those hot licks. Bill doesn't use hot licks in his music." I would have loved to have heard more of that conversation after the show!

AlanN
Nov-06-2008, 1:31pm

I have that record, Marty throws some very 'non-Monroe' licks in there. He was the Thile of his day :mandosmiley:

Mike Bromley
Nov-06-2008, 2:19pm
There's another version of Bill and Marty doing Southern Flavour, on Bills birthday, where it looks as though Marty has been having a few....he gets up on stage and says "howdy howdy howdy" to Bill, who retorts: "now, play that guitar, boy!"...Marty peels of a lovely E minor run, to which Bill replies, "that's good, boy, you can go home now". They then rip off a lovely version, Bill doing a mountain clog during Marty's solo.

The masters.

Timbofood
Nov-06-2008, 2:30pm
Marty's end lick is a real gas to try to hit, I almost dislocated my pinky trying it! No it's not very Bill like but, I am with you, "let me be a fly..."

evanreilly
Nov-08-2008, 10:31am
Marty was a huge fan of Bill from his early childhood. He had plenty of encounters with Bill while traveling on the bus with Lester. He tells the tale of an early encounter with Monroe where Monroe tells him to learn 'Rawhide'. And then there is Marty relating how he once saw Bill walking down Main Street, like a larger-than-life statue in motion.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-08-2008, 9:46pm
I think Marty Stuart is much more than a great musician -- he is a great human being -- a historian, a peace maker, a photographer, a friend of many, and worker of many charities.

He seems to me to be a cement that holds many friendships togather -- not only was he a friend of Bill Monroe, Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs and other bluegrass players but also John Cash, Bob Dylan, Wayln Jennings, Merle Haggard.

I think he and his wife Connie Smith are very special people. Seach out the interviews of Connie and Marty that Ralph Emery did with them back in 2007. Just great people in my humble opinion. Also a great mandolin player :)

MadMax
Nov-10-2008, 1:38pm
For those who may be interested, Marty has a new book out called "Country Music - The Masters." It comes with an accompanying CD.

june39
Nov-11-2008, 8:18am
Did any one else catch The Marty Stuart Show on RFD TV this past Saturday? Earl Scruggs was the featured guest.

Doug McCash

earthsave
Nov-11-2008, 11:20am
Did any one else catch The Marty Stuart Show on RFD TV this past Saturday? Earl Scruggs was the featured guest.

Doug McCash

I saw that one. Earl can still roll that banjo. RFD has been showing that and Hee Haw, which brings back good childhood memories. Also the Wilburn Brothers show. Good stuff.

GRW3
Nov-11-2008, 12:09pm
I saw the show and loved it. I put it on my DVR's copy list. A little electric, a little acoustic and a lot of fun. Talk about distressed mandolins, take a close look at Marty's.

I hope this show is an RFD hit and keeps going. Another RFD favorite of mine is the "Cumberland Highlanders Show" run by Doc Mercer from Rosine. Sometimes the bands are unknown to me and some times it's a Ralph Stanley or Larry Sparks.