PDA

View Full Version : Any mandolins comparable to the Collings MT2?

FrDNicholas
Nov-03-2008, 2:38pm
I am looking to get a new mandolin and my local music store has a limited choice. I played a Collings and loved the sound and the volume. It was a MT2. In case the store is unable to get one, what other mandolins would you all say might be comparable in terms of sound and volume. Also, in reading about them, the one article said the varnish finish tending to have less volume than the lacquer. Has that been any one else's experience? Thanks so much for any help.(I don't see the box to send responses to my email address? Has that changed?)

jan281969
Nov-03-2008, 4:17pm
I owed a 2002 model MT-2 briefly and I can honestly say it was all I could ever ask for of a Mandolin.And to be an A-style.There are several used ones on this site
for less than retail price.Make sure to get the MT-2 or MT-2V. They will be more thorough sounding.And the blonde and black top are SHARP!!!!

Chris Biorkman
Nov-03-2008, 4:21pm
Buy one online. Collings mandolins are remarkably consistent.

Capt. E
Nov-04-2008, 10:26am
If you can find one, try a Weber "Bighorn". I personally prefer it over the Collings MT2 I have tried. Just about the same price. It is Bruce Weber's choice for a personal instrument.

Nick Triesch
Nov-04-2008, 10:53am
Collings mandolins are really something. Every one I have ever tried had the super mandolin sound that we all want. And some of the very best ones were the MT-2 models. I love these mandolins. Both in the way they are made and the way they sound. Here in the San Diego we have many Collings to try and play and they are always wonderful. The sound just pops out and they play like glass to boot! Nick

dchilds
Nov-04-2008, 11:06am
I own a Collings MT-2 and have loved it every second. But before purchasing, I played Gibson A-9 and A-5s, as well as some Webers. The Weber vintage A came in a close second, but I really preferred the neck shape of the Collings. That's just my preference - YMMV. And they are remarkably consistent - the one I bought off the classifieds here feels and sounds almost identical to the others I tried out before purchasing.

treephys
Nov-04-2008, 11:28am
I've owned 2 MT-2's (currently still have one of them as my main mando) and lots of other similarly priced mandolins, including a custom instrument by a well-respected builder. I really regretted selling the first MT2. I play other mandolins but keep coming back to that Collings sound (dry, poppy and fairly balanced). For what it's worth, I prefer the older ones I've played. New ones seem pretty tight to me and they really do take a while to break in.
Dan J

Greg H.
Nov-04-2008, 1:51pm
In the price range the best choices are the Collings MT, the Gibson A9, and a Weber Bitterroot (or maybe a Yellowstone or Bridger on a good price). Any one would be a good choice depending on your personal taste. A friend of mine has an Gibson A9 that's an absolute killer, I know someone else that has a Collings MF that he really likes. I know there are a lots of people that have strong preferences for Webers over Gibbys or Collings.

If it were me I'd be looking at a Gibson. . . .because I tend to like either the Gibsons or some of the smaller builders over anything in particular from either Collings or Weber. So. . ..of course the gibsons are better than all those others. . . .:)). Seriously, try out as much as you can and take what YOU like best, be it Gibson, Collings, Weber, or something else.

On the varnish vs. lacquer I don't think you can say one is necessarily louder than the other (I feel strongly that I prefer the sound in varnish, but both can be pretty loud). In any case I certainly don't think that lacquer is louder than varnish. . . .

red7flag
Nov-04-2008, 3:12pm
I have had 2 Collings, but not an A model. I have played a number of MT and MT2s. I also have a Weber Vintage A. To me the Collings A is more similar in sound to a Collings F model than a Weber Vintage A. They are sharper (not a criticism, but a discription) in attack and more suited to bg and jams. The Vintage A, while it can hang in a bg jam, is not at its strongest there. The Vintage A seems more comfortable in a Celtic/OT/duet type of music. I say this in that to me the Collings A and Weber A, while both outstanding instruments, are really different breeds, inspite of both being A models. I think an A model is less the issue than the Collings A is f holed and the Weber is oval holed. Also, the woods and construction are very different.

John Flynn
Nov-04-2008, 3:21pm
NFI, but there is a sweet looking Old Wave F-hole A at Gruhn's for $2400. I've played one (as well as owning one of his oval A's), and multiple MT2's (which are great also!) I and have to say it's very comparable for a lot less.

http://www.gruhn.com/

Also, there are FIVE MT2's in the Cafe Classifieds!

Hans
Nov-04-2008, 3:39pm
Nuts...loudness has nothing to do with varnish or lacquer.

red7flag
Nov-04-2008, 4:01pm
As far as varnish vs lacquer, I would agree with Hans, no difference in volume. I tend to notice a bit of a warmer sound with the varnish. It is worth the additional price. Tough call. Just my take.

FrDNicholas
Nov-04-2008, 5:37pm
I thank all of you for your suggestions. I should clarify what I am trying to do. We do not have the money for a mandolin. I am trying to trade my A4 '23 snakehead straight across for the Collings. I realize that the sound of the Collings is what I really want. My Gibson has issues, none structural, but I don't have the original bridge, case,pickguard, or tuners. It has had work done where some breaks happened. The work was done by professionals and has not caused any difficulties since being done. I have seen the MTs and MT2s in the classified here and in the other sources of mandolins, but, due to finances, I have to trade mandolins. My music store here in Albuquerque is looking into the possibility of a trade and I will check back with them this Saturday. Again, thanks for all your help.

gibson mandoman
Nov-04-2008, 10:22pm
A 1923 Gibson Snakehead A-4, what a great mandolin to have! I would really have to think long and hard before I traded the Snakehead A-4. If you must have a Collings MT-2, you might consider selling the Snakehead A-4 privately, and then buying a used Collings MT-2. NFI, but there is a used Collings MT-2 for $2,200 in the classifieds. I believe that is the lowest price I have seen for an MT-2. I might be wrong, but I believe your Gibson A-4 Snakehead will bring more money selling it rather than trading straight across for the Collings. Good luck in whatever you decide!

gibson mandoman
Nov-04-2008, 10:45pm
FrDNicholas, there is a Gibson Snakehead A-4 on the auction site right now, current bid at $4,150! Might try selling yours on the auction site, buy the Collings MT-2, and have money left to spend elsewhere.

FrDNicholas
Nov-05-2008, 9:01am
I realize that some of you really love the "blond" look. Is there any chance the wood will darken in color as the mandolin ages? I am thinking of a Martin D-18 I had years ago. When I first bought it new, it was kind of pale looking. As it aged, the wood turned that beautiful golden-orangish color. Will any color change happen for the Collings blonde or honey finish?

brg
Nov-06-2008, 2:32am
This is a fruitful discussion for me. I few days ago a posted a question comparing a few of the mandolins that are descrived here. My interest was peaked for an Old Wave oval verses an MT-2 (oval). Presently I play a Weber Bridger (oval) Based on recommendations I was leaning toward a MT-2and now with the oval out that's the direction I was headed. Also I'm interested in the Weber Vintage A. I'm looking for a wider neck and radius fingerboard vs. the Bridger. The above answers most of my questions. So besides the fretboard how does a vintage A compare to the Bridger? The more information the better. Bruce

Capt. E
Nov-06-2008, 6:15pm
You talk about the Weber "Bridger" and the "Vintage A's", but if I were to get another mandolin I would order an oval hole Weber "Bighorn". Then I'd have a "matching" pair. I really think the Bighorn is an overlooked Weber model and I bet the oval version is every bit as good as the f hole one. I love those two-points.

spenser
Nov-06-2008, 7:21pm
BRG-I have a wide necked Weber F. great sound, but I am having trouble with the neck shape for some reason. All of my mandolins have wide neck, with no issues. I also have an MT2 and seriously will not part with it (knock wood until MAS sets in again). Suggest playing them side by side, if possible, and play the wide neck weber for some time before deciding to insure the wide neck works for you in that shape and or V orientation. Just my 2 cents and experience with both brands.

brg
Nov-07-2008, 3:19am
Thanks good suggestion!

Mandobar
Nov-07-2008, 7:27am
buy that brentrup in the classifieds

PhilTod
Nov-08-2008, 11:06am
Another thumbs up for the Collings. One of the most consistent instrument builders ever.