PDA

View Full Version : Removal of humidifier

mandosonthemarsh
Nov-03-2008, 1:40pm
Humidity in my house is 75-80 Temp 65. I cant really get it down except for opening the windows. The question, which I proberly know the answer to is, Should I remove the humidifier from my case, which reads 75% humidity. I live in a very damp house by the ocean. Also what would be the long term effects of such a climate. Thanks, Bruce. Please no referals to websites,for I read them all and still unclear

John Flynn
Nov-03-2008, 2:09pm
If your humidity is that high, you need to get it down, it will be hazardous to your instrument. You should keep it between 45-55% as much as possible. Two things I would suggest: First, make sure you are getting accurate readings. If your hygrometer has not been calibrated, it could be way off. If the reading is accurate, you can buy some combination of room dehumidifiers and desscant packs for your case.

Just as an aside, if your house is that high in general, you may run the risk of mold. You might want to have that checked by an appropriate contractor.

allenhopkins
Nov-03-2008, 2:27pm
You say " the humidifier from my case...reads 75% humidity." If you have a built-in humidity gauge or hygrometer in your case, that's what's showing a reading of 75%. It's not a "humidifier," just an instrument to measure relative humidity.

You also say "no referrals to websites," so I won't post the link I usually post to the Taylor Guitars "tech sheets." Nonetheless, I've found them very helpful. They do tell how to determine when high or low humidity is actually having an effect on the instrument -- changes in string height, fret ends starting to protrude from the side of the neck (that's caused by wood shrinkage under low humidity), etc.

John F's post is excellent. The reading on your hygrometer is, in the end, only a number. It may or may not be accurate. And, the "proof of the pudding" is whether you're actually seeing effects on the mandolin. My experience is that dryness causes a lot more damage than moisture, within normal ranges, but 80% humidity in October is pretty damp.

One thing to think about: by raising the room temperature, with a given amount of moisture present, you decrease relative humidity. Perhaps putting the thermostat up to 68º or 70º would make a noticeable change in your hygrometer's reading. Don't know what your heating system or fuel budget is, but it's an option.