PDA

View Full Version : need a beater

thekingprawn
Oct-31-2008, 1:30pm
I'm trying to get back into playing mandolin again (church band wants to add it on a few songs), but I don't want to take my Eastman (MD-514) to and from work to play during the down time. I have a rogue piece of junk, but I would like something I can stand to listen to while practicing. I'm thinking about either a Kentucky KM-150 or a Michael Kelly A-Solid for the task. Any thoughts or comments on which might be the better choice? Also, since my Eastman is an oval hole, should I consider going the same way for the other, or should I stay with the f-hole idea just to have two different sounds? Thanks! :mandosmiley:

Capt. E
Oct-31-2008, 1:46pm
Get a Mid-Missouri (now called Big Muddy Mandolins). You can find a used one for well under $400. It would be great for a church band.
As far as other brands, I would pick the Kentucky WAAAY before the Morgan Monroe. Maybe a J. Bovier. I've played a few of those and they are pretty nice for the money.

pager
Nov-01-2008, 6:54pm
I think the Kentucky would serve you very well. I have a Kentucky 380s that I use for my 'beater'. It sounds pretty good and it has never let me down.

Payit Forward
Nov-01-2008, 7:40pm
If you want something that "sounds good" instead of a "piece of junk", you're going to have to try some out to see if they meet your standards. In the lower price ranges, one person's "junk" is another person's "good".

My experience is the Kentucky KM250/254 and KM505 are quite good with decent strings. The JBovier A5 is very good. These all cost $400-500+. I don't know if that falls into the "beater" category for you.

Michael Kelly, Morgan Monroe, etc you would have to try. Some are nice, others maybe not.

Payit Forward
Nov-01-2008, 7:44pm
Also, I would look for one with F holes. Variety is good.

JEStanek
Nov-01-2008, 8:20pm
If you could find and play a Stradolin before buying that would be a good option. The all solid wood Kentucky's are good. A used Mid-mo would be good. For 400-500 you can get a used Eastman 505 or 504 and have a "beater" that has the same neck and feel of your main mandolin. That goes a good way between practice and performance. If it was me, and it isn't, I would try and find a used Eastman 505 with f holes to compliment the 514 oval. If I only wanted to spend $200 I would get a Kentucky KM150S and get it set up well. If I only wanted to spend $100 I would deal with the Rogue.

You could also look into a used Weber Sweet Pea or Martin Backpacker mandolin. The main thing to focus on during work practice is playing cleanly. Less expensive (or much smaller bodied instruments) may not have the tone you like but you can tell when you're playing cleanly or not.

Jamie

Ken Olmstead
Nov-01-2008, 8:43pm
Lots of great advice here! I would add one thing to consider. Volume. Depending on your work environment a more quiet mandolin may be the way to go. Let's face it, most folks like mandolin music but few people enjoy hearing "practice!" :)

John Flynn
Nov-01-2008, 9:07pm
Here is a thought that might save you some money. I have done something similar. Take the Rogue POJ, put new tuners on it (Grover Sta-tites, the most cost effective and underrated tuner on the market, $25), get a set up on it ($50) and put T-I strings on it (good for great instruments, but also great for taking the tinny sound out of cheap ones,$35). For $110, you will have a better beater than twice that much will buy you in a new instrument.

Greg H.
Nov-02-2008, 12:35am
I'd recommend either going for the KM150 (as you were considering eariler) or go with a KM172 http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM172.htm if you want something more like your Eastman.

Douglas McMullin
Nov-02-2008, 7:45am
I got a used KM-250 off Ebay for about $100. After swapping an ebony bridge for the rosewood one, and adding better strings, it makes a fine travel mandolin.

Mattg
Nov-10-2008, 3:37pm
I think the Kentucky would serve you very well. I have a Kentucky 380s that I use for my 'beater'. It sounds pretty good and it has never let me down.

I have a 380s also but I quit thinking of it as a beater. I take it to jams now and again and it always turns heads. That puppy really barks. It has a very pretty back and a great finish. I had to mess with the setup and bridge fit so now it's really feeling and sounding good. I feel like I got a heck of a deal on it.

CES
Nov-10-2008, 4:03pm
All good advice above...with all Pac-Rims quality is variable. Some Kentucky, Michael Kelly, JBovier, Eastman and even some RM75s are great mandos for the money...some are duds, so trying before you buy is a bonus if you can. Mid-Mo/Big Muddy can be nice also but don't vary your sound too much since you're already oval holing...

Any of these, as well as a Sweet Pea or Martin (I like the Pea better of the ones I've played) could fit the bill for you...another option to consider if volume and durability during travel are considerations (at work) is an electric mando...I have a Mandobird IV that I take on trips for hotel playing or "don't want to drive everybody crazy" situations. It's different than an 8 string, but is fun to play plugged in also (though it sounds like an electriic guitar), and you could probably find one of the 8 string models fairly cheaply (< 250). NOT an acoustic sound, though...

I have an Applause guitar that I use as my beater and "leave sitting out, even when the kids are around" guitar...it's practically indestructible and doesn't sound that great unplugged (though none of my friends have ever complained about how it sounds), but I mention it because, if you're looking for an A-E to play in your church band it or a little nicer Ovation would probably sound great plugged in (despite the overall cheapness, my Applause really sounds good plugged in), be quieter unplugged, and fits the durability bill. Of course, the "traditional" police may pay you a visit if they catch you playing one, and I'd definitely play before buying, but it's yet another option...

Good luck!

thekingprawn
Nov-11-2008, 4:39pm
After further consideration I think I'm gonna just deal with the gear I have for a while longer. I love my oval hole Eastman, and when I get an f hole I want it to be something worthwhile. Also, the anniversary trip to Vegas might have cost more than expected :disbelief:

On the Ovation comment, I have an Ovation that is the best campfire guitar ever. Its durability is unbelievable and the harder I play on it the better it sounds. If I find an Ovation Mando to play I'll probably fall in love if it sounds anything at all like a Mando.

John Flynn
Nov-11-2008, 6:40pm
After further consideration I think I'm gonna just deal with the gear I have for a while longer. I love my oval hole Eastman, and when I get an f hole I want it to be something worthwhile. Also, the anniversary trip to Vegas might have cost more than expected :disbelief:

On the Ovation comment, I have an Ovation that is the best campfire guitar ever. Its durability is unbelievable and the harder I play on it the better it sounds. If I find an Ovation Mando to play I'll probably fall in love if it sounds anything at all like a Mando.
If you like the Ovation-like concept for a beater, you might look into a Crafter M70. There is one on eBay right now for $225. It's the same idea, wood top with fiberglass back and sides. Probably doesn't sound incredibly "mandolin-like," but probably no worse than some "traditional" mandolins in that price range. I imagine they are rugged as a tank, though, although I admit I've never played one. There have been a couple of threads on them.