PDA

View Full Version : Vince Gill Concert

chip
Oct-31-2008, 9:30am
Went to see Vince Gill last night in Monterey, Ca. $135 tickets, great seats, great venue but geez...what a disappointment in a way. Not only did he not play his loar era mandolin but didn't even bring it for the tour. Vince has been on our "A" list of most favorite all time musicians and listened to music for many years but geez what a boring concert. I don't know if he wasn't feeling all that good or what but the 2 1/2 hours just didn't generate any electricity or get out of your seat type of response. We enjoyed hearing the slower tunes much more than the electric "fender" songs. One fellow in the audience yelled to play some bluegrass in which Vince played " High lonesome sound" with the tele but it sure didn't sound remotely like any bluegrass we've heard. Great musician, funny guy, and entertainer but the concert just wasn't one that will be that memorable. Rating: C

AlanN
Oct-31-2008, 9:33am
Bet you'll remember the ticket price...wow.

chip
Oct-31-2008, 10:11am
Yep...always wanted to see Vince so we bought the tickets 4 months ago when it was first announced that he would be here. Normally wouldn't spend that kind of dough on seeing anyone except maybe Blue HIghway...
I think I'll stick to buying the CD's next time. Sure had some nice guitars though. His J200 tobacco finished gibson guitar that was formally Chet Atkins was just downright yummo. Just a great sounding guitar in the right hands. This concert was billed as an "acoustic evening" with Vince Gill but when I saw 4 electrics on stage I knew that the evening was going to be far from "Acoustic". Oh well, still a good evening, albeit expensive.

Pete Braccio
Oct-31-2008, 11:04am
Hey Chip,

I just picked up the COast Weekly this morning and saw that the show was last night. I'm kicking myself a bit less that I missed it after reading your review.

Pete
(A fellow Valley person)

musicofanatic
Oct-31-2008, 11:52am
Was Mike Bub on bass? Who else was in the band?

drewgrass
Oct-31-2008, 12:19pm
i saw him at byron berlines weekly show, in guthrie oklahoma last year. he played mandolin a weber fern of byron's to be exact for over two hours and sang nothing but bluegrass. i was 8 feet away with about 30 other people and it cost $10.00 go figure it was awesome. i also saw him at claptons guitar fest in dallas in 2004 he had flux playing dobro with him that was way cool to.

RSomers
Oct-31-2008, 1:15pm
Maybe Vince was thinkin about the 18th at Pebble being this concert was in Montery, he is a scratch golfer after all to make light of your review.
I don't know when I would have gone to see Vince specifically to see him play mandolin. I always considered him a singer first and great strat/tele player. He sure has the means to learn from the best and buy the best of course. But I wouldn't have expected to see him play mando when buying tickets...$135.00 bucks..oh, ouch. I remember pickin him up at the airport with Dawg in the 70's and watchin him play bluegrass for a week with Herb Peterson along. Those were some good nights and he just played rythmn guitar and sang. Nice guy, have total high regard...but I have a hard time seeing anyone for that ticket price.

chip
Oct-31-2008, 7:06pm
In regard to some of the posts:
Yes, Mike Bubb on bass
I didn't go to specifically hear him play mandolin. The concert was adverstised as a "special acoustic" evening with Vince Gill. Naturally I thought it would be such...acoustic, no electric guitars or electric keyboard. The concert wasn't a bust by any means just not up to what I expected. Sort of subduded, sort of perfect playing without feeling in it, great vocals on the ballads, the six string acoustic guitars sounded amazing, not worth the price I paid though. For $135 x 2 I expected maybe too much. A little mandolin would have been nice. I once paid $155 each to see Lyle Lovett and have never regretted it. This one....will have faded by tomorrow. Sorry Vince...just wasn't your best effort.

Troy Mayfield
Nov-01-2008, 2:07pm
I last saw Vince Gill in 1986 at Denver at a FREE concert. He was the warmup act - had some "popular" country star after him - I don't remember who it was. Our seats were about 15 yards from the stage. He and his band played all acoustic that night - I recall several bluegrass songs. My girlfriend at the time was able to get his autograph.

Ken Froman
Nov-02-2008, 8:53am
I saw Compton and Grier at a free concert in Corydon, IN. great show . Have seen lots of good free shows and lots of bad paid ones so its hit and miss. Give me a good old jam to stage shows anyday. whole lot more fun to play than to listen in my book !

lenf12
Nov-02-2008, 11:08am
I was disappointed to read your review of the Vince Gill concert. We have tickets to his show here in Clearwater, FL on Nov.15th. I was really, really looking forward to "an acoustic evening" with the man and knowing the he has a Loar, had hoped mandolin would be a significant part of the show. Oh well, we only paid $79.50 for 5th row tickets.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Barry Platnick
Nov-02-2008, 12:01pm
I gotta say when I've seen his country band he rocked on the guitar with a mandolin cameo and his guitar skill is master level and I was awed.

When I wanted to see him play bluegrass I saw his BG band at the Ryman last July. He was hurting from back problems but was great and as treat he had guests including his daughter and Ricky Skaggs among others

No disappointment here!!

Matt Bowe
Nov-05-2008, 5:28pm
We (spouse and self) sat in $65 Row G seats up on one of the Catskill mountains at the Belleayre Music Tent on August 23d of this year and it all kinda had the same underwhelming effect you described. At least on me, anyway. The ladies can't seem to get enough of this guy...

Mr. Gill sat on a wood chair on stage surrounded by vintage Gibsons and Fenders and Martins, played the same 4 guitars all night and had the Loar hand delivered for one strummed ballad. Mike Bub played bass with two old friends filling in on keyboards and a beat box. He sang beautifully, never took a break or a drink of water and had Led Zeppelin's "Bron-Yr-Aur" and Cream's "Crossroads" as house music before and after the show and mentioned Amy Grant exactly twice.