PDA

View Full Version : radiused fret board question

ddshelden
Oct-30-2008, 3:03pm
as a beginning player, will a radiused fret board make that big of a difference? is it worth the extra money? thanks

Ken Olmstead
Oct-30-2008, 3:11pm
Depends on who you ask. I am of the opinion it has more to do with what you get used to. Radius board is very important to me but that is what I have mostly played since I began. You can find pros the prefer one or the other and mandolins at all price points having flat or radius. Personal choice!

Mike Scott
Oct-30-2008, 3:39pm
I am a fairly new player. I have two mandolins. One has a radiused fret board the other is flat. I really don't think it makes much difference. I find them both equally easy to play. I think the neck shape, width, etc makes a bigger difference. Just my opinion. I am sure others will have different ones!

John Flynn
Oct-30-2008, 4:07pm
I started on a flat board, for my first 11 years playing. Then I got a Rigel with a compound radius and rounded neck and it was a revolution for me in terms of playability. I could not have imagined going back to flat. But in retrospect, I think it was just where I was at in my playing at the time. Now five years later, I still prefer a radius but I have come back to center. I have two mandolins with radiused boards and two that are flat and I like playing them all. I would not pass up a good deal on an instrument due to either mode.

But I have to say that a radius just makes more sense to me. I would not want to play a steel string guitar without a radius and I don't know many fiddlers who would want to play a fiddle without one. I do know banjo players who are content without them. Coincidence? I think not!

loardreamer
Oct-30-2008, 4:10pm
I agree with ken it is what you get used to.I f you have been playing a flat fretboard for a while then a radiused one will feel alien to you and vice versa

woodwizard
Oct-30-2008, 4:24pm
I've played mostly flat fretboards and I think I prefer the flat ones but I have played a Monteleone with a radius and I couldn't really tell much of a difference between it and my Gibson. They both felt the same to me because the necks were simular. I do agree that: I think the neck profile makes more of a difference than a radius fretboard. Just my opinion and what I'm use too I guess.

Fretbear
Oct-30-2008, 4:56pm
as a beginning player, will a radiused fret board make that big of a difference?

The difference is subtle, and if the mandolin that you are going to start on is conceivably going to be changed for another one later on, then it doesn't matter and you will easily be able to make the transition after if you want to. There are some heavy players of Loars etc., who prefer (or choose to keep their vintage instruments with) flatboards. The only reason I would worry about it now is if you were going to order something nice to keep forever, in which case you could include that feature, which would cost more to add later on.

ddshelden
Oct-30-2008, 5:04pm
thanks guys