PDA

View Full Version : goodnight irene

ira
Jul-15-2004, 11:03am
don't know if folks would consider it an old tyme song, but it has that old tyme and folky feel. just saw it on line and practiced up with partner today. we are gonna try it out tom at our open mic and then hopefully play it next week when we are playin at a summer concert series in a neighboring town
btw- mass. residents- we are playing next thursday (i think the 22nd) in millis right off route 109 from 6:30 - 8:30 family friendly venue- come on down.

anyway, we were thinking of printing up the chorus on seperate sheets of paper and lining up some kids and have one kid walk behind them with a big rubber ball for a follow the bouncing ball thing. should be fun!

anyone else playin this tune?

duuuude
Jul-15-2004, 12:38pm
Yeah, this one always seems to sneak itself into about every big jam I go to, Leadbelly would be proud!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Tennessee Jed
Jul-16-2004, 5:45pm
I just started playing this one and I caught on to it quickly. I believe it was written by Leadbelly. I know he recorded it. It's been recorded since by artists from folk, blues, rock and country backgrounds such as Woody Guthrie, Mississippi John Hurt, Ernest Tubb, Ry Cooder, James Taylor and Joe Walsh, Jim Reeves, the Irish Rovers, Gordon Jenkins and the Weavers, Willie Nelson, Van Morrison, and Jerry Lee Lewis. Do any others come to mind and which versions do you like the best?

doanepoole
Jul-16-2004, 8:49pm
This is indeed a Leadbelly tune. Leadbelly aint Old Time, but if you're not familiar with him, get at least the first Smithsonian CD, and welcome to the world of some great true-blues and some great songs all arounf, many of which can and have translated over to numerous genres, including Old Time.

Mike Buesseler
Jul-16-2004, 9:19pm
Give a listen to Kelly Joe Phelps arrangement, if you can find it. #Dynamite! #My second favorite version after Ry Cooder's.

ira
Jul-20-2004, 9:09am
i guess we are doin the weavers' version (or our version of their version). just made the sheets for follow the bouncing ball tom. night.should be fun!

ira
Jul-24-2004, 12:57pm
so finished with g.n.i. and had kids in front with signs of each word in the chorus and one boy with a big red rubber ball. big hit. everyone sang along and had a good ole time. wont be our last time playin this one.

Jon Hall
Jul-25-2004, 8:45am
I was at a jam last night in Nacogdoches TX and guitarist from Slovakia said that this song was popular in communist Chechozlavackia (sp?) when he was a boy in the '50s. Man, did this song get around quick!

mando bandage
Jul-25-2004, 7:53pm
Even Brian Ferry (of Roxy Music fame) has recorded a version on his "Frantic" album.

R