PDA

View Full Version : What's this (second-hand MK mando)

Binz
Oct-29-2008, 9:48am
Hi

does anyone recognise this mandolin?
(what model / spec is it; did you own it before I bought it?)
It is dark blue, has 'S' soundholes and inlay is roses and dragonfly.
I bought it a few months ago from a guitar shop in Farnham, Surrey, UK. It's my 1st mandolin and I've never really played any instrument before, but am enjoying trying to learn to play this one.
I did email MichaelKellyGuitars.com but no response.

Binz
(Hampshire, UK)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/Binzoftheweald/Mandofront-1.jpg

JEStanek
Oct-29-2008, 10:09am
Binz, Welcome to the Mandolin Café.

MKs had the option for some alternative colors and soundhole shapes, I think they called them S holes back around 2002-2004 ish. They also had dragonfly or firefly options on the fingerboard inlay during different years around then too. If I remember right (hey, its been a while) those were close to the top of their line back then. Sorry I can't find an exact model name (no label inside to google off of?). Yours looks to be in good shape. Enjoy it!

Jamie

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-29-2008, 10:27am
I think they actually called that model The Dragonfly. (Seriously ;) )

That model also came in a few other bright non-bursted colors, including an emerald-like green and ruby-ish red.

JEStanek
Oct-29-2008, 10:44am
I believe you're correct, Jim.

Jamie

Keith Erickson
Oct-29-2008, 10:58am
Thinking out loud....

....I can't help but think that those sound holes remind me of Dale Ludewig's Emory Lester Model mandolin.

....so can you tell what's been on my mind lately :cool:

Binz
Oct-30-2008, 2:44am
thanks all for the info.
Unfortunately there's no label in it to research. It is in pretty good condition, there's just some tarnishing of the tailpeice and the binding has yellowed; but given the current fashion for distressing instruments I'm surprised they didn't charge extra for that.

cheers

Binz

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-30-2008, 10:26am
And just like that, here is a green Dragonfly (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150306870651&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123) up for auction on the 'bay.