Jul-15-2004, 7:33am
Here is the finished product

Jul-15-2004, 7:35am
I love this!

Jul-15-2004, 7:36am
Heres the sweet armrest!

Alekos
Jul-15-2004, 7:37am
Congratulations to Mr.Martin Brunkalla, the mando looks really great!

joshags03
Jul-15-2004, 8:09am
What is the finish on this? It looks like a Brunkalla twist on a standard F5. Do you know what he based his design on (i.e. graduations, etc.)? Looks great, can't wait to hear a sound clip!

Scotti Adams
Jul-15-2004, 9:38am
..purty.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jul-15-2004, 10:43am
Nice mandolin but the scroll looks a little weird.. Is that his design?

Jul-15-2004, 11:44am
Yes I believe that is his own style.

mandolooter
Jul-15-2004, 3:14pm
I love the figure on the back, congrat's on your new axe!

Jul-15-2004, 6:16pm
It is visually everything I want in a F style mandolin

gdae85
Jul-15-2004, 7:47pm
Ick .. I dont like the scroll http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jul-15-2004, 7:55pm
Yeah the scroll needs more definition..

neal
Jul-15-2004, 8:02pm
Yeah, and it should be blue. That's a real mandolin, a blue one. This one's so.. so.. oh, what's the word..mandolinlike.

neal
Jul-15-2004, 8:03pm
Nice mando. I bet she sounds like a dream.

jasona
Jul-15-2004, 11:26pm
Congrats! Looks nice, I hope it makes you as happy as the wait did.

I second the question on the finish http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

gdae85
Jul-16-2004, 12:05am
But well ... After all, sound is what really matters IMO. Appart from the scroll and other minor & insignificant details, the beast looks good.

Congrats .. tell us how much you payed!

Bill Snyder
Jul-16-2004, 8:05am
If and when Brunkalla becomes a well known name in mandolins that scroll will let everyone know at a glance what kind of mandolin you have.
Enjoy your mandolin gdae_boy1.

Scotti Adams
Jul-16-2004, 3:11pm
..yea..people said the same thing about that Monteleone fellow and that scroll on that Grand Artist model.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Enjoy your new axe....its a great lookin piece....

Jul-16-2004, 3:19pm
Yeh But scrolls are scrolls when it comes to the tone, I dont think anyone here would deny a montleone if handed one cause of a non traditional scroll. I should hope not.

Scotti Adams
Jul-16-2004, 4:50pm
..my point exactly.....go with it...

Jul-16-2004, 5:32pm
Yes Scotts got the Idea, Its weird I was typing that reply about Montleone and when I looked under the thread one min after Scotti had typed the same thing about Montleone mandolins.

Jul-16-2004, 5:34pm
sorry scotti, not scott

Bob Sayers
Jul-16-2004, 6:38pm
What I like about this mandolin is that it looks like it was made by a violin maker. #The crisp V carving below the peghead, the thinner finish that extends the length of the neck, and the beautiful (I would assume) violin varnish beat the heck out of most high-end mandolins, which aim to copy the appointments on a Loar. #I personally subscribe to the view that even a Loar can be improved upon. #

Bob

dfrady
Jul-16-2004, 7:07pm
In the end all that matters is if you like the mandolin, it's a great looking mandolin and i hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Ya know if the scroll isn't just like a traditional scroll, WHO CARES !!!!!! just because you don't like it doesn't mean that he won't like it. That's the problem with most mandolin pickers, if it isn't traditional looking then it has to be junk and it probably won't sound good. Their philosophy is, if it don't look like bill and sound like bill it isn't bluegrass. And as i just stated, in the end all that matters is if you like the mandolin.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Bob Sayers
Jul-16-2004, 7:15pm
OK, mandoJeremy, I've been taken to the woodshed. But I still would like to see a mandolin with a beautiful violin finish.

Bob

gdae85
Jul-16-2004, 8:15pm
I agree with mandojeremy.

If you are emulating a traditional f-5, then do the scroll as it should be (loar).

If you are innovating with a new design, go for it (ml).

But if you try to emulate an f-5 and your scroll looks korean, then that is a serious turn off. It is certainly an 'Ick' scroll.

neal
Jul-17-2004, 9:30am
Jeremy, you sound angry. Why? It's a beautiful mandolin, I think everyone agrees, but every post from you that I'm reading here just sounds like sour grapes, and I know that's not you. You're a nice guy.

mandoJeremy
Jul-17-2004, 11:22am
Okay Neal, I am not angry at all and just for your sake I went back and deleted all my posts on this subject. #And I am a nice guy....most of the time!!! #I never said I didn't like the mando because I love the color and I would love to see how it sounds. #If you look back over the posts you will see that I wasn't the one to first criticize the mando. #Have a great day Neal and smile!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

neal
Jul-17-2004, 1:27pm
Oh, man, you deleted the posts?! #I'm sorry. # From my eye, and I'm not a professional, nor do I play one on tv, #this looks like a real dreamy mandolin, and yes, the owner did hype it a bit, but, hey, it's a new builder(of mandolins) and an experienced one at that. #This mandolin looks real sweet, and about the scroll, well, someone needs to point out to me what the heck they're looking at to critique it so much. #In my eyes, it, again, looks real sweet. #The color of shading on the top, I can find no fault. #I have to say, that since this fever took hold of me way back in Nov of 2002 ( took a couple months to find this site, believe it or not) #I've looked and drooled over lots and lots and, well, lots more mandolins from any site I can find. And first hand, when possible. #This one is as good, if not better looking than many I've seen.

Now, if this whole thing has been a running joke to fool the novices, and the Brunkalla is just a photoshop project, well, jokes on me.:D

It just seems to me that there's been a lot of "yeah, sure, it's not a real one, though, I see a smudge, a real one wouldn't have a smudge" kind of posting going on. #One guy even said the scroll looked Korean?!?!? #I wasn't aware that we now have nationalities for scroll-work. #I've seen a lot of crappe, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, American, and this, friends, ain't one of them, my opinion of course. #

# To quote me in a few posts back:

"Yeah, and it should be blue. #That's a real mandolin, a blue one. #This one's so.. so.. oh, what's the word..mandolinlike."

Which tried to illustrate where I thought this topic was going. # I mean, heres this guy, a new member on the board, #commissions a fella to build him the mando of his dreams, at probably a pretty good price, I know it wasn't cheap, and some regulars are being really nitpicky. #Enough to make a guy feel bad about his baby.

And speaking of traditional mandolins, there are a few guys here that build mandolins, and do real nice work, are well respected, but have their own look, deviate a bit from the trad look, some a lot, some not so much, but I've never read a post like this about them.

Unless its just a photoshop project, #or you all know this guy and are just giving him a good-natured hard time, then forget everything I just said, and I'll go back to my corner and sit....I'm off on a rant, somebody stop me. # I really do love all the give and take here, and I'm not trying to cut into it, just a little confused at the outpouring of nitpickery in this particular post.

Shoot, Jeremy, I'm always smilin'. Keeps people wondering.

I have a paranoia streak in me a mile wide, but don't worry, I'm not schizophrenic, and neither am I.

man, that's a sweet mando-Neal

neal
Jul-17-2004, 1:34pm
Wow, I just reread the topic, really not much to base my previous post on now, with the exception of a few, but I'll leave my previous post up anyway, what the heck.
Hugs and kisses
Neal

Hans
Jul-17-2004, 5:48pm
A very nice first effort Martin! Keep up the good work.

Hans.

mandoanon
Jul-18-2004, 1:02am
That is a very nice looking mandolin. I really like the color of the finish and the back. I went to the builders website and found lots of info on fiddles but nothing about mandolins. Do you know if he is going to produce more? I would like to hear a sound clip once you have a chance. congrats!

mandoJeremy
Jul-18-2004, 9:43am
I would like to actually let Demetrius know that I am sorry for saying anything. I don't think it was fair of any of us to critique the mando in the way that we did. I do like the mandolin and I hope you are happy with it. We mando freaks tend to be a little nitpicky sometimes when it comes to mandolins but it still wasn't right because I know what it's like to have a new mando and be all excited about. But, for us to rain on your parade was wrong and I do sincerely apologize.

gdae85
Jul-18-2004, 1:27pm
Well, there are 1000 attributes in a mandolin and we were just pointing out the errors on one of those attributes. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad about having spent money on a faulty instrument. Just my personal opinion.

iampeterfonda
Jul-18-2004, 4:04pm
gdae85, why do you assume that the shape of the scroll is an error and not the builder's intention?

Bill Snyder
Jul-18-2004, 7:40pm
It hardly appears to be a "faulty" instrument in the pictures. I suspect that gdae_boy1 will be very pleased with it.

mandough
Jul-18-2004, 8:48pm
I hate when people disguise negativity (with no useful purpose but to put down something) as rightful "personal opinion".
Give me a break!
The mando looks great. Brunkalla is a world class luthier.

gdae85
Jul-18-2004, 11:35pm
gdae85, #why do you assume that the shape of the scroll is an error and not the builder's intention?
let me ask you a question: when you pick up an instrument for the very first time ... do you start improvising and composing music or do you play other people's songs?

The answer is quite obvious. The same would happen when making instruments. The first instrument you make is least likely to bring to life innovative qualities ... it is most likely to imitate rather conservative concepts originally patented by others. In this case, the model tries to copy an f5 model (and we all agree on that).

The flaws in the scroll are very typical among first timers. It is quite impossible to create a perfect instrument in your first time. That is why not everyone can produce instruments and sell them at $25,000 a piece. And that is why most experienced luthiers sell their pieces at such high prices. Gotta tell you, for a #1 this instrument is quite good. At least in the looks, need to hear it.

Just my opinion. Not deliverate offenses (sorry if they were interpreted as such). Plus, I guess when someone posts pictures of a mandolin, they expect criticisms. It would make no sense to post pics and expect flowers and congrats from everyone. There are pros and cons on all instruments. Just clarifying some of the most visible cons.
If someone posted pics and expect 100% good comments ... that would be just bragging.

Walter
Jul-19-2004, 12:20pm
The future owner of this mandolin, has asked over and over again for opinions.

If you ask for options, your going to get them... Some might be favorable, some might not be favorable. So... don't freak-out if someone offers a negitive opinion or impression.

Tom C
Jul-19-2004, 1:18pm
"The flaws in the scroll are very typical among first timers. "
Quite true, Just try drawing it yourself, it's not as easy as it looks.
For a first for builder from fiddle background I'd be psyched to play and hear it. Congrats

Ken Sager
Jul-19-2004, 1:21pm
Good point, Walter. Two issues, though. 1) Nobody freaked out. 2) "Ick", as used by someone else, is hardly descriptive. Who gives a wad whether the scroll deviates from Loar's specs. Who said he was copying the Loar specs anyway? Most folks put far #more stock in a builder's tone than their scroll, and it certainly pays to be kind to anyone who proudly displays their new mandolin regardless of whether anyone liked it or was asked for input.

No harm in being nice.

I also think Jeremy's comment about mandolin and violin builders not knowing how to build other instruments is bogus. One of the best sounding fiddles in my neighborhood was built by Bill Bussman (played by his son Ezra) and Gary Vessel (a renowned local violin builder whose violins sell for 5 figures) has made a couple spectacular F5 and A5 mandolins that have tons and tons of tone. Not so rare, really, that someone can successfully build (and play) both violins and mandolins. Ezra Bussman is a prime example of the multi-instrumentalist who is exceptional at both mando and fiddle.

Joy to all,
Ken

jiffyfeet
Jul-19-2004, 1:43pm
I hate when people disguise negativity (with no useful purpose but to put down something) as rightful "personal opinion".
This is pretty ridiculous. It IS his personal opinion. If you don't want opinions on the look of your mando, does it really make any sense to post a picture of it? Not to mention, hype it beforehand as the greatest mando ever built? There's nothing wrong with telling somebody that you would prefer a different looking "whatever". If people never posted anything "negative," this board would be pointless.

Jul-19-2004, 1:47pm
Yes opinions definetely are welcome, But ick? thats so girly, what does my mandolin have cudies? Not!

oldwave maker
Jul-19-2004, 3:05pm
During my apprenticeship with award winning master fiddle maker R.L. Crawford he made 2 F5s from seasoned european tonewoods, both with exaggerated scroll ridges extending way past the recurve, as he had never actually seen a loar scroll like the one below, and he liked the visual aspect of a pronounced ridge. The tops and backs were too stiff for a lively response, even tho the rest of the recurve was thin. That being said, Ezras fiddle mentioned above has about the worst arching of any fiddle Ive seen, yet he won the utah state fiddle championship last weekend while Ken Sager, a prime example of a multi-instrumentalist, won both the guitar and mando championships!
Anyway, theres more than one way to skin a cat, bumblebees shouldnt be able to fly, and Im sure gdaeboy will grow into his brunkalla as it grows into him. Spank that baby!

Scotti Adams
Jul-19-2004, 3:10pm
...very well put Bill...Im with you...There are very few here that could even come close to that puppy in the first try...Dem..just play it and enjoy it and dont worry about what other people say or think...its a great lookin mando...please post some sound bytes when you get it so we can hear..

Jim Hilburn
Jul-19-2004, 4:00pm
I've been a little shy about saying anything here, and while I'm making no judgements, I'm guessing the original Siminoff mandolin book is involved here. I have 3 prime examples from the early 80's hanging on my wall.

Jul-19-2004, 6:53pm
oh what are the three exmples from the siminoff?

Scotti Adams
Jul-19-2004, 7:06pm
..hes probably eluding to the fact that hes got three mandos he built early on in his career that was built by using the Siminoff plans and perhaps those scrolls look similiar to yours...

Jul-19-2004, 7:10pm
Sweet Id love to see photos, Hey Scotti I emailed you ok!

mandopete
Jul-19-2004, 7:35pm
Well, I for one, think picture #2 is absolutely stunning - really nice work and congratulations!

Brookside
Jul-19-2004, 8:32pm
I think Jim's correct. This is my number one, built with the original Siminoff book. Still I would hasten to add that that is one beautiful mando. (his, not mine http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif ) Wonderful craftsmanship. I personally would be very happy with it.

Jul-19-2004, 9:07pm
I cant get over the finish. Its one of the best I've seen.

Jul-20-2004, 8:40am
Everyone, the Brunkalla mandolin arrives thursday!

Jim Hilburn
Jul-20-2004, 9:41am
Here's my first one, made in '79 with the Siminoff book as the only guide.

Jul-20-2004, 11:35am
Heres one with the armrest!

Jul-20-2004, 2:18pm
Isnt Brunk great looking in that shot?

Jul-20-2004, 2:40pm
I think part of what makes Martins instruments look so nice, is that he's been working with tung oil for so long. That is what he used on his fiddles since the start. He swears by it. Here take a look on his website, it discusses his theory on using this amazing finish on his acoustic instruments.

http://brunkalla.com/FINISHES

Jul-20-2004, 2:55pm
As far as I know and from what a few other resources tell me. Martin Brunkalla is the only one who uses this great tung oil method. Its tricky to work with Martin quotes.

Jacob
Jul-20-2004, 3:35pm
I think the finish is tung oil. (http://waynesword.palomar.edu/tungoil1.htm)

Jul-20-2004, 6:32pm
WHAT IS THIS ENGLISH CLASS? SPELLING B MONDAY ? QUIZ CAFE?
HEHEHE JUST PLAYIN WITH YOU. THANKS A TON FOR THE CORRECTION.

Brookside
Jul-20-2004, 9:05pm
I think that's spelling bee. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

gdae85
Jul-20-2004, 10:36pm
lol http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jul-21-2004, 7:29am
lol gdae85 you havent said much lately, feelin nice?

Jul-21-2004, 2:40pm
it is so close, its just a few miles from here

Jul-21-2004, 7:14pm
just 12 more hours

Scotti Adams
Jul-22-2004, 4:51pm
..ok Dem....tell us about it....you should have it by now...

Jul-23-2004, 2:42pm
OH MY $*&^*&%((&$^%$!!!!!!!!!! God!

neal
Jul-23-2004, 2:48pm
Does that mean you don't like it and are sorely dissapointed? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

phynie
Jul-23-2004, 2:52pm
I think it means he's too busy playin her to reply! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jul-23-2004, 5:36pm
Phynie, you couldnt be any more correct. However as soon as I put Brunk down I'll describe the whole situation.

iampeterfonda
Jul-24-2004, 8:01am
Since Demetrius seems too busy playing to post, I'll pipe up. #I got to play this baby on Thursday. #It's a real sweet looking thing. #All of the points have this really cool flare (flair?) to them that doesn't show up in the pics. #IMHO it's got a nice full, round sound with a good chunk of volume. #I found it quite different from my mando which likes to be played hard for the best sound. #This one seemed to like a gentle touch. #I can't wait to try it again next week after 7 days of heavy playing.

p.s. the one thing I didn't like was the smell of that tung oil. Looks great but i'd take the nice smell of lacquer and varnish any day.

Jul-24-2004, 2:45pm
This mandolin is everything a great mandolin should be. Its the best looking instrument I've ever laid my eyes on. And the sound is something I didnt even knew existed. I thought that tone was only in my dreams. I have much more to say, and soon I will, but I cant even part form it long enough to begin describing Brunk.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jul-24-2004, 4:16pm
I actually think each builder has a little different take on the F-5 design. Not everyone is building to exact Loar standards, and many alter the features intentionally just to make it their own. Monteleone changed it a lot. Others, change the design only slightly. The end result is that you can have an exact copy,ie: the new Gibsons, or you can choose a builder whose idiosyncrasies appeal to you. In this picture of my Lawrence Smart, the ridge of the scroll does not run down the center, but favors the outside of the curve. I know this was something Lawrence did intentionally, as he has built over 160 instruments. This is just a feature he likes at this time. Maybe next year it will be something else. But everyone has their own opinion, and whether we all agree or not, that's what makes life interesting.

Jul-25-2004, 7:42am
I cant stop playing this Brunk.

Jul-25-2004, 12:45pm
Hey Dem, congratulations on your fine new Brunk. I know what a delight it is, I had the honor of being the first person to play it besides the luthier himself. It's a beautiful instrument, has great sound and easy playability. I'm sure you will get many many hours of enjoyment from it!

Jul-25-2004, 1:33pm
Thanks Cindi, It truly is a new classic masterpiece. Ive got to tell you, that this mandolin has literally opened up alot since I got it. I brought it to a blugrass jam the day I received it. Even people I didnt know cane up to me to check this fine mandolin out. It seemed to catch tons of attention. A friend of mine Clayton had a chance to check it out that night. 3 days later I ran into him and he had a chance to check it out. He said I can actually say this sounds better now than it did just three days ago.

I cant imagine it sounnding any better than it already does. I think Martin is a world class builder. I told him what I wanted in a mandolin, and for some reason their was this peace in me about the product he was going to deliver the whole time. I just knew it would be just right for me. Ive had the great luck of playing one of his violins, So that is next on my list.

Lastnight we went to see Mark O'Connor's Appalacian trio #live. So after the show we had a chance to talk a little music with the three of them. Monica Rizzio the owner of a Brunkalla Violin was my date to the event. She doesnt put down her violin very often so it ends up with her every where she goes. So Mark O'Conner saw her case in her hand and asked if he could see what she was hiding in there. she handed the violin to him and the first thing he did was pluck the strings from g to e with his fingers. He stopped talking and same with his band memberes and Marc's eyes opened up wide with this shy but excited grin, and said, Wow that is loud! Someone else walked up to him to ask him a question so Monica waited for Mark to hand back the violin. Mark said would you mind if I talk to a few people for a few? then I wanna try this out. Mark didnt hand back the violin he kept it in his hands while he was photographing with a few people. After words he played a few more notes on it and said this is a reaaaaaaaaallllly great instrument. You have quite the fiddle Monica! And then he made a noise as if he had tasted the best piece of cheese cake. mmmmmmm! I laughed at how he reacted. He quicly looked inside to see the label investigating who the builder was. My guess is that, Brunkalla's violin gave Mark a bit of high he didnt know hes was gonna get when he asked what was inside that small case.
You go Martin!

mandorizz
Jul-25-2004, 9:09pm
Hey there gdae_boy I've got to say that is one of the finest looking mandolins I have ever seen. I loved the way he did the scroll. I would have to disagree with others opinion on the site. I think Martin intentionally did the scroll that way. It looks mighty fine! I hope you enjoy that mandolin.

You said that he used a tung-oil finish. WOW I'll have to say that is one of the nicest finishes I have ever seen on any mandolin. The grain on the top looks really close must be an old top?

Mandorizz

Jul-26-2004, 6:56am
Thankyou I agree, its my favorite instrument ever built. Yes I do feel it is that amazing.

JimRichter
Jul-26-2004, 7:30pm
When will this thread finally die!!!!!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
We all agree, it's a nice mandolin, wacky scroll and all.

Tongue firmly in cheek

Jim

Jul-29-2004, 10:05am
Well Old School Freight Train just performed at my cafe yesterday, what a awsome show. I got to hear them jam on my new Brunk mando. Peter Froste has an Apitius, and we could all admit that Brunk was everything the apitius was. Nate Leath quoted I would really recommend this mando to anyone looking for a loud bluegrass mando! So after the show the aptius the brunkalla and the holoubek hopped in a circle. I have to say Brunk was the loudest, the most bluegrass sounding of the three mandos, and the Apitius and the Holoubek sounded amazing and near identical with one another. They are very similar mandolins, with a Four Thousand dollar difference. So if you want that Apitius feel and sound for much less money, Id recommend a holoubek. And If you want more of that Dudenbostel type of tone Id reccomend a Brunkalla.

Aug-07-2004, 5:31pm
Im lovin this mando so much.

Aug-11-2004, 7:48pm
Heres some cool photos of my Brunkalla.

mandoJeremy
Aug-12-2004, 1:01am
Oh great! Here we go again! Are those sanding discs? If so, sand some more on that scroll.:D

JeffS
Aug-12-2004, 5:35am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif You're bad. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Albert Whiting
Aug-12-2004, 12:44pm
mando jeremy that was hilarious

Aug-12-2004, 1:06pm
ha ha ha lol,
come on its a cool pic isnt it?
but actually thats a weird chair i saw when walking about main st here on the cape.

JeffS
Aug-12-2004, 1:39pm
When I first saw that picture I was trying to figure out how that tail piece cover worked. Took me a while to figure out it was the chair's reflection. Interesting chair, good picture.

mandoJeremy
Aug-12-2004, 1:51pm
I was kidding with you there gdae_boy1! Seriously, I do hope you are enjoying the mando and I still want to hear a recording of it. That is one weird chair!

neal
Aug-12-2004, 2:46pm
I've pretty much ignored this thread, only because, well, what else is there to say, it's a fine mandolin, but I saw Jeremy had posted......good to see you dude.

Aug-13-2004, 9:08am
Look my mando is on fire lol!

JeffS
Aug-13-2004, 9:34am
I really like that pick guard. Is it varnished more heavily than the instrument? What kind of wood is it?

Aug-13-2004, 6:33pm
Hey Jeff,

It is brazilian rosewood, same with the armrest. It has really nice figure.

mandoJeremy
Aug-13-2004, 10:58pm
Hey gdae_boy1, if that thing burns to the ground I guess we won't be seeing anymore pictures! By the way Neal, good to see you also and no I am not angry!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

neal
Aug-14-2004, 7:28am
This one's starting to look like the first BRW thread, though. Do you think it'll hit 20 pages?