PDA

View Full Version : Big Muddy has fret buzz?

frankmsu
Oct-25-2008, 8:11am
I just bought a new Big Muddy M-4 and the "G" string has fret buzz. Since the bridge has no adjustment what are my options for stopping the buzz?

Thanks

Steve L
Oct-25-2008, 9:16am
When the company was called Mid Missouri, they used to include 3 bridges of varying heights to compensate for things like this. If you can, have a luthier take a quick peek to see if anything is going on with the instrument and if not, contact Big Muddy and see if they'll send you a higher bridge. They tend to be really, really good about things like that.

frankmsu
Oct-25-2008, 10:22am
I talked to Mike at Big Muddy about it and he is sending me other bridges to try. Great guy to deal with, and I am really enjoying my Big Muddy mandolin!

bobashforth
Sep-05-2019, 10:21pm
I'm getting ready to place an order with Mike for an M-17 mandola... accumulating the funds. :-)

I'm a guitar player, and researching all thing mando during my wait. I've seen many bridges that have adjustment thumbscrews; is this something a few makers do, and is there a reason that it's not on Mike's mandos?

Bob
(Newbie appreciative of the hive mind's wisdom)

CarlM
Sep-06-2019, 12:17am
I'm a guitar player, and researching all thing mando during my wait. I've seen many bridges that have adjustment thumbscrews; is this something a few makers do, and is there a reason that it's not on Mike's mandos?

His are flattop mandolins. Flattop mandolins generally do not have adjustable bridges because the neck angle and string height do not allow room for it. Much like on guitars where flattop acoustic guitars have non adjustable bridges while archtops have adjustable bridges. Though unlike a flattop guitar, mandolin bridges are rarely fixed in one spot glued to the instrument. Some archtop mandolins have nonadjustable bridges also where the neck angle and string height are lower, particularly oval hole instruments with the fretboard laying on a ramp on the top rather than having a violin style elevated fretboard.

There are always exceptions though and if you look far enough you will find an odd instrument where the luthier chose to violate these norms.

EdHanrahan
Sep-06-2019, 6:33am
... is there a reason that it's not on Mike's mandos?

Considering that fixed bridges existed for centuries on stringed instruments, whether lute, guitar, etc., before Mr. Loar designed the adjustable type (a disputed point), I tend to think of it the other way around:

Adjustable bridges are on archtops because arches are more responsive (swelling, contracting) to atmospheric variation than are flattops.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-06-2019, 8:17am
If anyone ever has a problem with a non-adjustable bridge there is always this (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Mandolin/MandoShim/mandoshim1.html) option from Frank Ford's www.frets.com.

Another piece of history from Frank's site (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Museum/Documents/Gibson/Action1914/action1914.html).

Martin Jonas
Sep-06-2019, 8:45am
If anyone ever has a problem with a non-adjustable bridge there is always this (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Mandolin/MandoShim/mandoshim1.html) option from Frank Ford's www.frets.com.

In the context of this thread, worth noting that the instrument in Frank's photos appears to be a Mid-Mo/Big Muddy so that the example transfers directly to the OP's situation.

Martin

Sub-optimal_Mando
Sep-06-2019, 11:27am
I bought an M-11 from Mike a little over a year ago and I would add that it came with three different bridges of different heights. The middle one was what was installed. I’m sure you could talk to him about your action preferences and he will accommodate. Terrific to work with.

pops1
Sep-06-2019, 11:35am
For something that has a flat top and non adjustable bridge I will use a piece of maple vernier for a shim. I don't glue it in, but use it in the winter when it is drier and take it out in summer when it is humid. It can go under the bridge as the top changes with humidity. If your environment is stable then I would glue a piece to the bridge.

bobashforth
Sep-07-2019, 7:30am
Thanks all!

Mike Scott
Sep-07-2019, 9:47am
I bought a Big Muddy from Mike a few months ago. It came with 3 bridges and instructions (on web site?) for use and installation. He said he always sends the extras for differences in preferences an humidity. My second Big Muddy. Great mandolins from a great guy (NFI).