PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Gibson A Project on C-List

F5GRun
Oct-23-2008, 6:04pm
NFI. I just noticed this on the local craigs list. It needs far too much work for me to handle but I thought some one out there on the cafe may want to take a stab at it. I dont remember seeing any vintage Gibsons with that fretboard inlay tho. Edit: I dont see tuner post holes on the headstock...not sure what thats about.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/880986511.html

jefflester
Oct-23-2008, 8:13pm
Some better pictures would probably be required to convince somebody to buy it.

allenhopkins
Oct-23-2008, 11:19pm
I remember the late Eldon Stutzman telling me once that if someone came into his store with the pieces of a Gibson mandolin in a paper bag, he'd buy it.

This one comes close.

Wolfbane Stevens
Oct-24-2008, 1:48am
Not to hijack this thread, but do tell more about the late Eldon Stutzman... As a fellow (but previous) Rochestarian I'd love to know more...And on that note, if you care to comment, it seems like Dave has been selling off the instrument museum bit by bit. I seem to remember seeing a K4 there a few years back and an old F2 three point (in horrible shape), that are not there anymore. Stutzman's has been an institution in the Rochester area for quite a while, no? And, heck, well I'm at it.... please, try and deliver all those old Gibson mandolins from the HOG in Irondequoit to deserving hands!

In any event, that old CL Gibson looks like a fine project, with a sweet pineapple tail piece to boot!

allenhopkins
Oct-24-2008, 10:48am
Not to hijack this thread, but do tell more about the late Eldon Stutzman... As a fellow (but previous) Rochestarian I'd love to know more...

Probably should contact you with an individual message, rather than boring the whole Cafe with Rochestrivia...

Suffice it to say that:
a] I was the first non-Stutzman to work at the old Guitar Center on Jay St.;
b] Eldon died in the '70's, but Dave has carried on quite well;
c] Dave still has many many of the instruments he and his dad collected, including the matching pumpkin-top "plectral choir" of 'teens Gibsons -- mandolin, mandola, mandocello, mando-bass -- harp guitars, oddities (there's a thin-body Larson Bros. guitar that's really cool!);
d] Subject to the vagaries of the economy, Dave appears to be doing well -- here's the store's website. (http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/)

goaty76
Nov-03-2008, 11:09pm
Well, I went for it and picked this one up this week (got a little better deal than the asking price). I'll probably be putting up a post in the Vintage Instruments section about it. Also, regarding Stutzman's, I have dealt with Dave on a couple of occasions and have nothing but good things to say about him. I wish I lived closer to Rochester so I could check out his shop in person.

Phil

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-04-2008, 11:31am
Darwinians say if a grenade went off in a woodworking shop then a Gibson would be produced.... Looks like the grenade was too strong.....