PDA

View Full Version : I placed my order!

Bryon Winger
Oct-22-2008, 9:24pm
I made it down to the shop near me today. I went in expecting to order a Weber Hyalite w/ Engelmann and Mahogany. I started out trying the flat tops mostly to get a feel for whether or not I really needed a radiused fingerboard (turns out I don't). Then on to the carved tops, all maple backs. Not bad. Still felt that it wasn't what I needed though.

I had brought my MK Dragonfly along just to see how much better the Weber would sound. I was surprised to hear that my MK's tone didn't suffer too much compared to the Webers - the finish, however, is another story. Yes, the Weber was indeed better tonewise, but my MK wasn't terrible by any means.

I thought of trying a few mandolas for fun. They only had two - another MK and a (used?) Weber Absaroka. WOW. This was the sound I was looking for! Here it was all along just shifted down a fifth! I couldn't put it down. Perfect. More guitar like (the sustain!), more girth, smooth. Even the strings felt great! A little out of my price range, but enough to get me excited about the bigger body and longer scale.

I ended up placing my order for the Hyalite after all. Engelmann top, mahogany b/s, f holes and tortoise binding on the top only. Matte and natural. Nothing fancy for me. Oh and she'll have Weber's armrest / tailpiece as well.

I should have the new 'dola in January. Can't wait! :grin:

Leigh Coates
Oct-22-2008, 10:35pm
Congratulations Bryon; that's great!

I know just exactly how you feel,... as I also ordered a Weber mandolin last week. Mine is a Bitterroot A, oval soundhole, tortoise binding on the top, and matte finish. I also can't wait! It will be a couple of months in coming also.

Bryon Winger
Oct-22-2008, 11:40pm
I had considered the Bitterroot too, but that would have required me to sell more of my guitars than I'm willing to! Congrats to you as well!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-23-2008, 1:41am
Webers - what can i say ?. You've picked a good maker,enjoy your new Mandolin when it arrives,
Saska