PDA

View Full Version : Good movie music for the mandolin

surfcow
Oct-20-2008, 3:10am
I recommend "Everything is Illuminated". Eastern european-ish sound-track. Sometimes I tune up my mandolin and play the movie. Every song in the film plays well on the mandolin.

Is this true for any other movies? Any recommendations?

=brian

Bertram Henze
Oct-20-2008, 5:52am
There are two I do regularly with my OM:

- "Into the West" (sung by Annie Lennox at the end of Return of the King); vocals and OM with fingerstyle

- Main title theme of "Harry Potter" with lots of weird double stops

Bertram

AlanN
Oct-20-2008, 6:44am
Not a movie (well, maybe it is), but the theme from M*A*S*H makes for good tremble practice.

Bill Snyder
Oct-20-2008, 8:35pm
Not a movie (well, maybe it is), but the theme from M*A*S*H makes for good tremble practice.

Started out as a movie starring Elliot Gould and was later turned into a TV series.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-21-2008, 2:47am
The main theme from the film "Dr Zivago" - 'Laura's Theme',otherwise known as 'Somewhere My Love', is a great tune to play. Another is the theme from "The Godfather",
Saska :cool:

Mike Snyder
Oct-21-2008, 3:03am
Actually, Elliot Gould had a co-star who probably should get equal billing, Donald Sutherland.

Bobbie Dier
Oct-21-2008, 4:44am
I agree "Everything is Illuminated" is a very good movie. The music is great. I wish I could catch it again on one of the movie channels. The story is great too. They had it listed as a comedy. There were a few funny parts but I didn't think it should be listed as a comedy.

Bertram Henze
Oct-21-2008, 5:16am
The main theme from the film "Dr Zivago" - 'Laura's Theme'

With lots of tremolo, I suppose? :)

Bret Roberts
Oct-21-2008, 5:27am
Started out as a movie starring Elliot Gould and was later turned into a TV series.

If you thought that the TV show and the movie was funny, go back to the beginning and read the original book written by Richard Hornberg (aka Richard Hooker) in 1968.

Marcus CA
Oct-21-2008, 10:00pm
How about Wizard of Oz? You can practice your tremolo on the ballads, and work on fills on tunes like "If I Only Had a Brain." The Munchkins probably sang in mandolin range, as well.

tango_grass
Oct-21-2008, 11:49pm
Yes, I agree about Lara's Theme. ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-22-2008, 1:32am
Hi Bertram - Laura's theme is wonderful to play with tremolo & can be made so expressive using faster /slower tremolo speeds & playing softer / harder. I suppose for authenticity,we should all rush out & buy ourselves a Balalaika & tremolo our first fingers to rags. The Godfather theme - well,what can i say ?. When i play that (try to), it takes me back to old Napoli. When i say 'takes me back',i've never been to Naples,but i think you know what i mean (?),
Saska :mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Oct-22-2008, 1:58am
...When i say 'takes me back',i've never been to Naples,but i think you know what i mean (?)

I know exactly what you mean (as said by Morpheus to Neo in "Matrix" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVi8bZNl10)). :grin:

Bertram

lenf12
Oct-22-2008, 1:47pm
"King of the Gypsies" has a musical score by some guy named Grisman. Check out "Tipsy Gypsy" from the Table Edit archives at Mandozine.com. Some might good stuff.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

bobby bill
Oct-22-2008, 2:32pm
I was blown away the first time I saw (and heard) The Third Man. I had no idea what instrument was playing the score and it turned out to be a zither. Seems like it would work well with mandolin. And the lighting in those underground sewer scenes is pure art.

Avi Ziv
Oct-22-2008, 5:58pm
I agree "Everything is Illuminated" is a very good movie. The music is great. I wish I could catch it again on one of the movie channels. The story is great too. They had it listed as a comedy. There were a few funny parts but I didn't think it should be listed as a comedy.

I just watched it (Netflix to the rescue) and it's very good. However the book is MUCH better. In fact more than half the book (critical material too - an entire dimension) is missing from the movie.

Still good movie and music

Avi

Perry Babasin
Oct-23-2008, 6:15pm
I guess it depends on what style you play but "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" is always a lot of fun...

-Perry

Bobbie Dier
Oct-24-2008, 4:36am
Thanks for the tip about the book. I'm going to look for it.I have been looking for the movie to run again on the movie channels about every day. I hope to catch it this weekend. I agree, a lot is usually lost when they turn it into a movie.

I've been on a kick reading about arctic and antarctic explorers for about a year. Reading something different will be a nice change. Imagine this little guys teeth chattering. :grin:

I just watched it (Netflix to the rescue) and it's very good. However the book is MUCH better. In fact more than half the book (critical material too - an entire dimension) is missing from the movie.

Still good movie and music

Avi

Martin Jonas
Oct-24-2008, 12:25pm
We have played both "Lara's Theme" and "The Godfather Theme" (as a medley with the Godfather Waltz and a Tarantella) in concert. The Third Man is arranged for mandolin in Sheri Mignano's wonderful book and works well, too. Come to think of it, we've played Edelweiss (from The Sound Of Music) in concert, too, accompanying a bunch of singers, but maybe the less said, the better.

Two standard sessions tunes started life as TV theme music, too: The Dark Island and Ashokan Farewell. The Trumpet Hornpipe went the other way when it was used as the Captain Pugwash theme.

Martin