PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the new Search option.

F5G WIZ
Oct-19-2008, 8:08am
Anyone else having trouble finding things with the new search? So far it is the only thing I dislike about the new message board. For example just doing a simple search for "Poe" comes up with zero hits. Am I doing something wrong?

JEStanek
Oct-19-2008, 8:19am
The short words don't work in the new search functionality. However a workaround I learned from Mike is to use the Google search but include in site:www.mandolincafe.com/forum e.g. "poe in site:www.mandolincafe.com/forum" (don't include the quote marks) gave me these results (http://www.google.com/search?q=poe+in+site%3Awww.mandolincafe.com%2Fforu m&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

Hope this helps you out.

Jamie

F5G WIZ
Oct-19-2008, 8:24am
Hum, that's rather inconvienant. Hope that gets fixed soon. Thanks for the info.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-19-2008, 8:42am
It's not something that can be fixed. This is a canned software product not something Scott wrote.

The search via Google isn't all that hard. In the Google search box enter the following:

poe site:www.mandolincafe.com

You don't need the /forum. If you have Internet Explorer or Firefox with a search box setup for Google it's easier than using the built in search. I did find that if you went to advanced search and used the search term poe* you got hits but the majority of them were Tone Poem hits.

The easier thing would be to link two words using search terms like poe AND mandolin. That may or may not return a hit, I didn't check.

This search engine (as Scott proved to me last week when I thought it had a problem) is much more flexible than the old one. It does have its quirks that I'm still figuring out.

Scott Tichenor
Oct-19-2008, 9:06am
This subject is covered pretty thoroughly by vBulletin's engineers in their support forum, and I'm going to stick with their recommendation of four as the lowest number allowed. While it would be possible to set this to three, they advise against it, and three is suggested as only appropriate for small forums utilizing this software. With close to 600K posts we are not yet in the large forum category according to their benchmark, but are rapidly approaching that size, meaning we're on the high side of medium sized.

F5G WIZ
Oct-19-2008, 7:50pm
Thanks for all the info, maybe Andy should start calling his mando's Driftwoods again. :)