PDA

View Full Version : Locating CoMandos

Gary Hedrick
Oct-17-2008, 9:37am
Is there a way to search for folks that live in specific areas? In this case so that I might send an invitation out to them for a picking session/mandolin expo that I am wanting to host.

thanks

Scott Tichenor
Oct-21-2008, 7:12pm
I think no one answered this because this isn't CoMando. No way of searching by location on this forum, but many users list their location. CoMando inquiries would need to be posted there.

SternART
Oct-21-2008, 7:46pm
Some of us are multi-web-nationalist mandolinists. Unfortunately I'm too far away from IN to go to your session, but I'll tell ya Gary, show up out in the SF Bay Area & we'll put together a Comando/Cafe gathering of the tribes in your honor. My studio has hosted several.

Larry S Sherman
Oct-21-2008, 7:59pm
Hey Scott...didn't someone post one of those google maps where we could put our locations? I tried to search for it but "map" is too short of a search term. It was last year, I think.

Larry S Sherman
Oct-21-2008, 8:12pm
Hey Scott...didn't someone post one of those google maps where we could put our locations? I tried to search for it but "map" is too short of a search term. It was last year, I think.

It must have been another site, or I just can't find it. Must have been my imagination...I thought a lot of us had filled in our locations on a Google interactive map.

Bill Snyder
Oct-21-2008, 8:47pm
Take a look at this map. (http://www.frappr.com/mandolincafemembermap)

Gary Hedrick
Oct-21-2008, 8:51pm
Sorry Scott, I had a senior moment and mixed the two things up.

So there is no way to find Cafe members by their location is what I understand.

bgjunkie
Oct-21-2008, 8:52pm
http://www.folkjam.org/ has a map that will show the people who have activated that feature in their profile. They allow you to post information about jams in your area.

mandolooter
Oct-21-2008, 9:18pm
Folk Jam was the one associated with the Cafe...the link is in the last post before mine.

smclewin
Oct-21-2008, 10:22pm
Folk Jam was the one associated with the Cafe...the link is in the last post before mine.

We still are. Scott Tichenor is a neighbor and friend in the local music community. Shawn and I (the two folks who built folkjam.org) are grateful to Scott for early advice and support in our efforts.

The Musician Map on folkjam.org that is discussed in this thread is here: http://www.folkjam.org/local/users

Add yourself to it.

Scott
1918 Gibson A1

Scott Tichenor
Oct-22-2008, 7:25am

What some of you are remembering is one of our members set up an external Google map where you could add yourself. Problem was, anyone could add anything to the map, and that's exactly what happened. There was virtually no control, no checks and balances. Some pretty inappropriate content got in there really fast. There was no way to give someone editing rights over the map as I recall and it was eventually taken down. FolkJam.org has a nice version of this and way, way more. Great site, and one we support.

mandocrucian
Oct-22-2008, 12:18pm
You may want to start a/some Regional Roll Call thread(s) in under the Regional Jams, Places To Meet Other Players section. Anyone who wished to participate merely posts listing the State (orstate/town) they live in, if that info isn't already listed under their name and join date. In terms of the stylistic interests, that's easily found on the poster's profile (just click on their name/handle)

Below are several ideas for geographical groupings:

Roll Call - Southwest US : (AZ, NM, NV, CO, TX, OK)

Roll Call - New England: (MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME)

Roll Call - Southeast: (FL, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR, NC, SC)

Roll Call - Mid Atlantic : (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV)

Roll Call - US/Canada Pacific Coast: (CA, OR, WA, AK, BC, YK)

NH

Gary Hedrick
Oct-24-2008, 8:25pm
Arthur, I missed coming to the one of your sessions that I was invited to when I lived in Fresno. Those sessions always seem to have a lot of great instruments and pickers at them.

On Nov 8th I am hosting a session and Lynn Dudenbostel, Will Kimble, Bruce Taggart and maybe Don McRostie and Andrew Jerman are coming from the luthier ranks.

I hope to have around 50 mandolins or so for folks to try. We try to have 4 picking sessions going on in different parts of the house so it's a three ring circus of picking.

Any Midwest mandolin folks that would like to come send me and email and I'll get you info.