PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Creek Songbooks

Brandon Flynn
Oct-16-2008, 11:21pm
For those of you that own them or have used them, are the Nickel Creek songbooks pretty accurate? I would think they would be, considering that Nickel Creek sells them on their website. A lot of the mandolin parts are within my technical range now and I would like to have official music rather than have to figure it out by ear or rely on someone else's tab that is usually incorrect.

Mandolusional
Oct-17-2008, 12:15am
Not sure of the accuracy, I would think they should be pretty close. I have them packed in a box somewhere in the garage, but as I recall the books are in standard notation and only the guitar sections are tabbed out while none or nearly none of the mandolin sections are.

Brandon Flynn
Oct-17-2008, 12:30am
They do have the mandolin parts in notation, right? I prefer notation anyways.

Mandolusional
Oct-17-2008, 12:39am
Yes, they have the parts for each instrument in notation for each song. I was just noting that tab is the exception (and just for guitar if my memory serves me), since you mentioned you didn't want to rely on inaccurately translated tab.

GTG
Oct-17-2008, 9:46am
I have the first one (NC). It is good for figuring out the fancy rhythms those kids play. It would be crazy hard to figure our tunes like In the House of Tom Bombadil by ear, even with a slow-downer. The lack of tab is a minor bummer, but if you read notes anyway, then no problem.