PDA

View Full Version : Used Eastman 515 - Anything I should look out for?

Raschied
Oct-16-2008, 10:16am
Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of Mandos. Picked up an Epiphone MM-30 about 4 months ago, and just fell in love. After years of frustration with guitars, bass, and keyboards, I finally found an instrument that just 'fits.'

I started to notice certain things about the MM-30 - like the G string being 'off' around the 7th fret. It's almost a half-step sharp. I also ran into some cash, so I started looking around for something a little nicer.

Last night, I picked up an Eastman 515 from Craig's List. Serial # 500, made in 2006, bought from a local music store. The price has me a little concerned. I got it for $500. It appears to sell new for around $800-900. It's a beautiful instrument, action is low, frets are in good shape. Bridge looks good, and the intonation is good on 7th and 12th frets. Strings are worn from playing, but that's fixable. No visible cracks, body feels much more solid than my MM-30. He even threw in the wall-mount hanger he used to keep it on.

Anything I should be on the lookout for? I feel like I got a great deal, but I'm always concerned I got ripped off, and won't know it for a while.

Marc Berman
Oct-16-2008, 11:27am
I've got a 515 and love it. As for the price I think you got a good deal. I haven't seen any new ones going for $800 but I could be wrong.

Jim Broyles
Oct-16-2008, 11:44am
Raschied, you got a good deal on that 515, if there are no serious issues with it. Did you get a case with it?
FWIW, your Epiphone should be able to be adjusted for intonation. Mandolins are not automatically correctly intonated; many times the bridge position must be changed for optimum intonation. You'll probably have to do it eventually with your Eastman.

imandolinin
Oct-16-2008, 11:56am
I played a lot of mandolins in that range before deciding on the Eastman 515. I liked the fact that it had a radiused fret board and it sounded "punchier" than the Kentucky and the MidMo I compared it to. Now that I've had it for 3 years it has mellowed some, but the tone and volume have opened considerably. The only thing I noticed was that the frets were small. I developed a few good grooves in the first three frets on the treble side within a year. Changed the frets a couple of months ago to jumbo. Seems they should have put bigger frets on it from the factory to me. My $0.02

JEStanek
Oct-16-2008, 12:46pm
That was my only complaint (and not a deal breaker for the future) with Eastmans, the thinner fret wire. That sounds like a good deal on an instrument priced to move. A bit more than the 30% loss from retail sale price but a good deal none the less. Take it to a buddy or another shop to look it over if you're concerned. I think you did well.

Jamie

acousticphd
Oct-16-2008, 3:32pm
The price has me a little concerned. I got it for $500.

More people would sell their used instruments if they priced them right. My guess is that your seller wanted to sell, and not hassle with reposting the ad every few days and taking endless vague email offers (the more usual Craigslist practice). You made a good decision!

My only real beef with Eastmans is their too-narrow neck. I wish they would move into the present and make a 1-1/8" standard nutwidth, and 1-3/16" on their oval hole mandos, like the vintage instruments they're trying to emulate.

Re: poor intonation can usually be improved by first adjusting the bridge position, and if necessary adjusting (using a file) the amount of compensation of the bridge saddles. There isn't a single "stock" or "standard" design, and I have rarely had a bridge that didn't need some fine adjustment to the top piece and some of the individual saddles. Also check from time to time (especially when changing strings) that the bridge/bridge saddle does not develop a forward lean. Your Epi's intonation can probably be improved by adjusting some of these things. I would also bet $5 your Epi's nut slots leave the action at the nut quite a bit too high.

Raschied
Oct-16-2008, 3:43pm
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm really enjoying the Eastman so far.

Any good tutorials on how to adjust the bridge? I did lower the bridge on the Epiphone last night, and while it helped the action, the intonation is no different on the G string, and now it's a little off on D as well (7th fret running sharp by almost a half-step.)

Jim Broyles
Oct-16-2008, 3:59pm
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm really enjoying the Eastman so far.

Any good tutorials on how to adjust the bridge? I did lower the bridge on the Epiphone last night, and while it helped the action, the intonation is no different on the G string, and now it's a little off on D as well (7th fret running sharp by almost a half-step.)

Here (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/MandolinBridges.htm) is a very good, easy to follow tutorial on setting up the bridge and setting intonation.

Raschied
Oct-20-2008, 5:09pm
Thanks again. I'm going to try this out as soon as I get back from this business trip. I'm in Dubai for the week.

Once I get the Epiphone dialed in, I'm going to start taking it with me on these long road trips. I travel a lot, and that was one of the reasons the mando interested me. I'd never consider flying the world with my bass, but the mando is small enough, I could carry it on.

pickgrinlive
Sep-09-2010, 10:15pm
Disregard this, couldn't delete wrong post in wrong thread. Blame me for having multiple threads open in different tabs.