PDA

View Full Version : A good deal?

Erik Gran
Oct-16-2008, 5:37am
Oops, I did it again, won a Stradolin jr on eBay! $102 + s/h. Only my second mando, but I do own a few guitars already, so I'm really not short of instruments to play ... ::redface:

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/13/27/f3c0_1.JPG

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/13/27/f4b4_1.JPG

I've seen that some of the Stradolins are considered to be quite good, and figured I'll take a chance on this one! According to the seller the neck is straight, and it seems to be in good condition.

Of course I really can't know if I struck gold or bought a pig in a poke before I have it here in my hands, but what would you think of it from the listing and the pics?

Will be back with the conclusive answer when it arrives and I've learned to know it!

I've seen some Stradolin jrs described as all solid wood, but am not sure if that goes for all. Anyway I hope to get an old mandolin with some mojo to play the blues, and if I'm lucky it might even sound good! ;)

John Rosett
Oct-16-2008, 6:29am
I was watching that one, but I got involved in something and forgot about it. If it's in playable condition it's a great deal. A vintage dealer in California has one exactly like it for $675!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-16-2008, 7:31am
If the vintage dealer gets that then my Strad-O-Lin is a $2,000.00 mandolin. You did OK, it has what looks like a decent period case, the tailpice cover is there, it doesn't look like the tuners are bent or anything and it looks like the top is in good shape. I've spent more for much worse. String it up with some J-62's and see what it sounds like.

Timbofood
Oct-16-2008, 8:14am
That question has always fascinated me, Do YOU think you got a good deal? If you are happy with the outcome, just be happy. There is almost always someone out there that will pay more or would not have paid as much for anything offered. If you like your "find" let the rest "eat cake!"
I would say that you certainly didn't get hurt by it though.

Strado Len
Oct-16-2008, 9:30am
Looks very nice and in good condition. Strads are lightweight mandolins and fun to play. Definitely appropriate for blues. Enjoy!

allenhopkins
Oct-16-2008, 11:25am
For $100 how wrong can you go? Strad-O-Lins are acquiring a certain cachet here on the Cafe ("cachet on the Cafe," sounds like a '30's song). I really like mine.

That said, let's all remember that they were low-end instruments (largely) to begin with. You didn't buy a Lloyd Loar for $100. But if your experience is like a lot of Strad-O-Lin owners, you'll find it's serviceable and well-suited for what you're planning to use it for. Mine is the quintessential "beater," the one I sling over my shoulder when I'm spending an afternoon at a craft show or picnicking in the park. I'll stack it up against most imports below the low-end Eastmans or mid-level Kentuckys, at least as far as sound's concerned. Cosmetics -- well, that's something else. (Note the elegant "Stradolin Jr." stencil painting on your headstock.) But you can't hear inlay when you're picking, right?

Erik Gran
Oct-17-2008, 3:01am
Thanks for your replies, are there any more information about Strad-O-Lins anywhere, seems hard to find by googling? Am I right in assuming that it was a retailers brand and that the instruments may be made by different manufacturers? Any specific known issues to look for when it arrives?

MikeEdgerton
Oct-17-2008, 6:31am
Here (http://www.google.com/search?q=stradolin+site%3Awww.mandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) is a Google Search of the cafe that should give you some information. The Strad-O-Lin name was owned by a company that had the mandolins built by someone else. The same mandolins have been sold under several other brand names. We generally refer to them as Strad-O-Lin genre mandolins. The question of who built them hasn't been answered definitively. Look for the same things you'd look for in any old mandolin, is the neck joint solid, are there any cracks, is the neck straight, etc.

Erik Gran
Oct-24-2008, 11:04am
It arrived today, sadly it hadn't been packed well enough, so the top and back have separated from the sides, which means it turned into a project. Removed the back, and found a stamp saying: AUG 18 1936, so it's pretty old. Apart from the damage, the condition seems good for the age, neck is straight and not much wear. REALLY old strings, so it hasn't been played for a LOOONG time! There even was an old celluloid pick in the case, too.