PDA

View Full Version : Beginner mandolin info

cclawrie
Jul-13-2004, 12:29pm
I'm looking to start playing the mandolin, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone tell me what a good, beginner-level (read: not expensive) mandolin would be? Any info you could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheyenne.

August Watters
Jul-13-2004, 8:10pm
Welcome to the mandolin community! Most of us find the mandolin pretty addictive. . . .

There are lots of OK beginning-level mandolins out there. I think it doesn't really matter which one you get, as much as it matters which dealer you buy it from. Most dealers don't bother giving beginning-level instruments a decent setup -- a real problem, since most of these instruments are more or less unplayable the way they come from the factory. But with a professional setup, many of these low-cost mandolins will get you started until you figure out what kind of sound you want to have. Start saving now for your trade-up; most beginners will need one within a year or two of buying a beginner's instrument.

Two of the big, reputable dealers who do mail order and will set up your mandolin right are Elderly Instruments and Mandolin Brothers. There are a few others in this community you'll find -- but what you don't want to do is buy from one of the big guitar chains that have a few mandolins -- you can bet they haven't bothered to set them up right, or in some cases even check to see if they're in good condition.

Hope this helps!

August W

fatt-dad
Jul-13-2004, 9:02pm
I you are anywhere near richmond, virginia I could sell you a beginning mandolin for under $225.00 with a hard shell case. I guess I could ship it for $20.00 more.

I have some older Ibanez and Kentucky mandolins that are real nice a-style (f-hole) instruments. They are nice looking and you will be pleased with any one of them. I could send you some photos.

I learned using a book of tabulature that also had a recording with it (at the time it was a plastic record, but now they come with CDs). Many in this community prefer learning from notes, which is probably better - it's just that I took the easy (simple) way out.

I play on the front porch, so I learned mostly fiddle tunes, which entertain me and sometimes folks on the street - ha. I am now trying to learn some of the "breaks" that bluegrass folks use. This requires playing with others, which is my problem.

Playing the mandolin is a real nice hobby. Collecting them is a different story - ha.

fatt-dad
fatt-dad@richmond.com
www.fatt-dad.com

8ch(pl)
Jul-14-2004, 5:49am
Check the classifieds, for the bruno, Washburn and other makes that Thomas Flood has listed. Good prices if they are still available.

cclawrie
Aug-21-2004, 5:18pm
Thanks all for the info... I haven't been able to reply as I've been on the hiking trail! Your posts helped a lot. My only trouble is that I live in Canada, so sometimes finding a good deal across the border isn't such a good deal after customs gets their hands on it! I will heed all advice!

~C.

FrankenMouse
Aug-21-2004, 5:35pm
Cheyenne,

A Mid-Mo M4 was just posted in the classifieds, for $400. These are perfect beginner mandolins. For the same price, there's also a refinished teens Gibson: These are GREAT mandolins:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin....trieval (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=10616&query=retrieval)

I'm in Canada too, and I share your frustration with customs. But it's really no big deal; there's no duty on American-made mandolins like the Gibson and Mid-Mo. So you'll just be stuck with the GST and PST, which you'd have to pay at home anyway (unless you find one for sale privately).

Mike

pathfinder
Aug-21-2004, 9:23pm
Hi Cheyenne, and welcome to the Cafe. #I did a search for you, just in case you want to actually try out different mandolins. #If you're in New Brunswick, here's three Maritime stores you can call. #Check them out, confirm what they have in stock, and schedule a visit to actually play a selection.

There's an authorized Weber Mandolin dealer in Halifax called "The Music Stop". #They can be reached at 902-496-6900 and their website is www.musicstop.com/

Halifax also has an authorized dealer for Mid Missouri Mandolins. #It's called "The Halifax Folklore Centre" and their number is 902-422-6350.

Or if you're close to the U.S. border, you can drop by Ezzy's Music Shop in Van Buren Maine (right on the border with New Brunswick). #They do a lot of mail order business, but also have a store (I got their catalogue for several years and they had a good selection of economy-priced mandos). #Their number is 207-868-2838.
#
Personally, I like the Webers and the Mid Missouri models. #New or used, they're quality instruments for a beginner, and hold most of their value on resale when you decide to trade up (and you probably will). #Happy shopping. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif