PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT2V Blonde

lsrodman
Oct-13-2008, 10:56am
This is my brand-new mando, purchased two weeks ago from the Music Emporium. Thanks to them for the great images. I made the switch from F to A, and I'm never looking back. I spent several hours A-Bing every mando in the store, and got down to a MT2 and an MT2V. I had no plans to buy a blonde, but it just sounded too good to pass. Let me know what you guys think!

Mike Scott
Oct-13-2008, 11:27am
Personally, I love the blonde! The back wood on that looks very cool. Congrats on a great looking and I presume sounding new axe!

Mike

250sc
Oct-13-2008, 4:35pm
Too bad it has all those flaws on the back. lol

Seriously, How could you not love a beauty like that. Very nice.

Nighttrain
Oct-13-2008, 4:54pm
What a beauty. I'm sure that it sounds as good as it looks.

lsrodman
Oct-13-2008, 7:01pm
Thanks for the comments guys!

mandolirius
Oct-13-2008, 7:06pm
Every time I see one of those in blonde, I want one. :crying:

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-13-2008, 7:31pm
Same here.

Lane Pryce
Oct-13-2008, 7:54pm
Digging the Birdseye. How do you like the Collings neck profile? I've not played one that didn't sound and feel good in the hand. Nice mandolin for sure. Lp

Mandolusional
Oct-13-2008, 9:01pm
Congratulations, from what I hear about Collings, you should be in for a treat.

Patrick Sylvest
Oct-13-2008, 9:54pm
coveting!

JEStanek
Oct-13-2008, 10:00pm
Wow, to have a sound you love and a beauty like that will keep you inspired for... ever. Congrats on the new mandol!

Jamie

Andrew DeMarco
Oct-13-2008, 10:36pm
drool. drool. drool. Love the tuning machines and binding against the finish.

Jonas
Oct-14-2008, 2:19am
Stunning! What class!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-14-2008, 3:34am
Those Collings mandolins are superb. OK,i like my Webers,but the Collings instruments well deserve the praise accorded to them & that blonde is a beauty & i'll bet it's a joy to play,
Saska;)

Mandobar
Oct-14-2008, 7:52am
joe caruso told me they got in yet another blonde beauty like this last friday.

lsrodman
Oct-14-2008, 3:27pm
Concerning the neck, it's a fairly sharp V according to most of the knowledgeable players I've had held it so far. Although even with the V it's still a pretty substantial neck, in comparison to say a Gibson A5L which is really skinny (for better or worse, who's to say). For me this is my first V-neck period, so it feels like a dream compared to the clunky morgan monroe I was playing before this.

I'm glad people are digging the blondes and that the Emporium is gonna keep em coming in. It's a nice change from the classic Collings sunburst, which by the way was really hard to pass up. I mean how do you decide between the flamed back and the bird's eye... that's why I just had to let me ear decide.

Carleton Page
Oct-14-2008, 10:04pm
I played the burst Mt-2v at the Music Emporium on Saturday and it was great. Are you saying you played them both and the blonde was noticably better? If so it must sound really great! I played a bunch of Collings mandos there and they were all great! Really could see another in my future.:) First time I have ever played an Mf-5:disbelief: Wow! Your blonde is beautiful by the way!

Chris Biorkman
Oct-14-2008, 10:28pm
That's a beautiful mandolin. Enjoy!

Personally, I always found the v shape of the Collings neck to be very comfortable when I had my old MF5. That birdseye looks great. I think the blond Collings models really highlight the quality of their workmanship.

I never understood why Collings doesn't use the engraved tailpiece that yours has on the MT2 and MF5 models. The plain one looks cheap in my opinion and is not befitting of a top quality instrument. The engraved one looks much nicer.

Mandobar
Oct-15-2008, 8:46am
http://www.acousticmusic.org/Collings-MT2-0-p-368.html

here's a blonde you don't see very often.

lsrodman
Oct-15-2008, 9:54pm
Ctone-
I def wouldn't say noticeably better, just appealed slightly more to my ear. To anyone who wasn't sitting and playing one run after another back and forth on these instruments they would all be totally comparable I think.

That Blonde O is pretty. The Emporium has an O in sunburst, but I honestly didn't even try it. Has anyone tried one?

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-16-2008, 1:46am
Here's another lovely blonde Collings for sale at TAMCO in Brighton UK.If it sounds as good as it looks,it should be delicious,
Saska

Bertram Henze
Oct-16-2008, 2:41am
With all those birthmarks on the back, it should be a redhead... :grin:

Bertram

Mandobar
Oct-16-2008, 10:17am
saska, that one at TAMCO looks like an MT. grab that one if you can as there will be no more blonde MT's.

woodwizard
Oct-16-2008, 1:49pm
Wow! That is beautiful. I am very partial to blonds. Love that neck wood on yours. Ofcourse the back is absolutly awesome. Congrats!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-17-2008, 4:16am
Yes,it is an MT - i forgot to put the style # on my post. If i had the cash it would be in my sticky little hands even now - as would a few more gorgeous instruments. Interesting to know that there will be no more blonde MT's - how do you know that ?,not that i'm questioning what you say,but it might be a selling point for TAMCO if it's true,
Saska ~:>

Mandobar
Oct-17-2008, 6:03am
i got that info straight from Alex at Collings. No more blonde MT's or MF's. how do i know this, because i ordered one two years ago and they had the devil of a time getting it "blonde". let's just say that there are a lot more sunburst MT's out there than they planned. they finally delivered a BEAUTIFUL blonde MT to me with a one piece back this past April. i had given up on it and had bought a blonde MT2 from Acoustic Vibes. 6 weeks later Collings shipped my MT. from what i understand it is the last blonde MT. they have since gone to the amber finish.

all the blondes are hard to come by, so if you see one, like it, and have the dough, buy it.

as for TAMCO, I don't think that Trevor is in any hurry to sell it.......he has quite a mandolin "sweet tooth."

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-17-2008, 8:04am
I e-mailed Trevor at TAMCO re.the MT &the future lack of 'blondes'. He wasn't aware of the fact as far as i could tell from his reply. I mentioned it because it could be a selling point if someone's 'hovering' with an intent to buy. Many thanks for the info. & yes ,Trevor does have a 'sweet tooth' when it comes to Mandolins,but don't we all,
Saska :grin: