PDA

View Full Version : Gardelli

michaell
Jul-13-2004, 10:03am
Howdy:

Are you organologists familiar with the Gardelli name?

Michael

Alex Timmerman
Jul-13-2004, 10:34am
Goedenavond Michael:

If you mean Federico Gardelli, yes.

He was a Neapolitan mandolin maker active in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century who made mandolins in the Vinaccia Neapolitan style.
There is a fine example for sale in the US at the Mandolin Brothers shop.

Best,

Alex

Jim Garber
Jul-13-2004, 7:18pm
Here (http://www.mandoweb.com/88-1719.jpg) is the one at Mandolin Brothers.

Michael... why do you ask? Do you have one by this maker or are you considering one?

Jim

vkioulaphides
Jul-14-2004, 9:05am
Beautiful! I would love to know more...

michaell
Jul-14-2004, 1:29pm
Hello:

Actually I am going to Mandolin Brothers next week, as I'm in the NY area
for a rare visit. It looked like a pretty good one, but I need verification
from our international panel of experts!

Jim Garber
Jul-14-2004, 1:37pm
Michael:
Take a look at that Vega Special (looks like Pettine Special in all but name) and the Calace they have there. Please report back on your findings.

Do you play other bowlbacks?

Jim

michaell
Jul-14-2004, 2:17pm
I normally play the electric mandolin, but for the past 2.5 years I've been studying domra with Irina Orlova (four-stringed version). It's a Shustoff: a great one! I've been systematically been working through Munier as well as some other violin music. I started as a way to improve my jazz chops, but i do love it for it's own sake!

michaell
Jul-14-2004, 2:18pm
..and of course I'll report on my findings.

vkioulaphides
Jul-15-2004, 7:27am
Hmm... is Irina related to Anastasia? (see: Tamara Volskaya thread)

Bob A
Jul-15-2004, 8:58am
Looking at the "Vega Special", I'd not be surprised at all to find the tarnished backplate actually reading "Pettine Special". It is a dead ringer for mine, even to the tarnish. I'm reasonably sure the plate is silver.

The Calace was sold before the notice of its existence was noted in the bowlbacks of note thread, alas.

The price of the Gardelli seems reasonable; the Vega is priced about the same as the one I got off ebay last year. If they're clean and well set-up, doubtless worth the asking. Despite the unoriginal tuners, the G looks handsome. If it plays as well as it looks in a postage-stamp sized photo, it'd be tempting.

michaell
Jul-16-2004, 5:49pm
Was Sr. Gardelli considered to be a maker of fiine instruments?

RSW
Jul-17-2004, 7:57am
I actually momentarily bought the Vega, the price being quite fair for an instrument in good condition. However, the mandolin needs serious restoration work and I decided to return the mandolin. The fingerboard is heavily worn and needs to be replaced. There is also slight top sinkage but this may not be too serious. There is a nasty chip out of the headstock that could be repaired cleanly but the headstock veneer shows a long crack (not structurally important but apparent). Other than this, the instrument is quite similar to other Vega mandolins of this class. I would love to see this instrument properly restored (fingerboard, vintage style frets, etc.) but I suspect that the instrument will get a fast 'minimal' fix instead. If you have the money (might be able to negotiate a better price from Mando Bros.) for the instrument and probably a $600-900 restoration, this could be a great mandolin. Neck is perfectly straight and tuners work fine. You would pay more for a modern day equivalent.

The other instrument (Giardelli) looked interesting but it is not so clean (replacement parts, etc.).... would love to hear from anyone that actually gets it in hand. Calace has apparently been sold.