PDA

View Full Version : Calendar function enabled on a test basis

Scott Tichenor
Oct-09-2008, 9:41am
I'm enabling the forum's calendar function on a test basis. No idea if this is really going to get used or if there's interest, but I think a place for some of you to post your gigs is appropriate. As with other parts of the forum, this is subject to the same posting guidelines and I'd ask everyone to respect this resource and only post items that involve specific mandolin related content.

The link to the Calendar is in the Navigation bar at the top of this page just to the left of "New Posts".

In case anyone asks, this is a *user submitted calendar*. Events that appear throughout the Cafe will not necessarily be listed here, items like workshops and other special events.

JimRichter
Oct-09-2008, 11:06am
I think it's a great idea, Scott. I would love to go out and see many of the messageboard users' bands, but often don't know where or when. It should also eliminate the need to do the "shameless self-promotion" threads to mention a gig, workshop, etc.

Question: How can you view the details of the listed event? The event link takes you to the messageboard user's homepage, not to the event. What am I missing?

Jim

Scott Tichenor
Oct-09-2008, 11:11am
Jim, I think you're looking at birthday links. If there's a little cake icon next to the name, that's an indication of a birthday--those are all listed on the calendar. For an example of a gig, f you go into October, search for my gigs on October 19 or 28 and if you click on that, you'll see the gig details. Remember, this is user input, so the content is only going to be as good as the user that submits the detail.

Scott Tichenor
Oct-09-2008, 11:42am
I just turned off those birthday links. There were too many of them!

JimRichter
Oct-09-2008, 12:58pm
I couldn't make out what the icon was. Should've lowered the screen resolution!

Thanks Scott.

JEStanek
Oct-09-2008, 1:08pm
I like it better without the birthdays (and parenthetical ages!!!). Another thing that's cool with the calendar is when you click on an event to get the details you can also request an event reminder e-mail. You can set the time prior to the event from a few short minutes (you really gotta be at your computer too much!) to 3 days. That's pretty cool (espescially as I noticed how big the parenthetical numbers in the birthday reminders were (sadly mine too)).

Jamie

Scott Tichenor
Oct-10-2008, 7:32am
Here's an added benefit of adding events/gigs/workshops to the Calendar: on the day they occur, it'll appear at the bottom of the message board home page. See screen shot below: