PDA

View Full Version : Need another tune like

Nicholas
Jul-12-2004, 4:19pm
I love this tune so much I play it all the time. It is my first break from the note-by-note AABB fiddle tunes. (Yes I'm new!)

Any other tunes like this come to mind? If so please tell me I'd like to hear them so I can learn and play them.

Thanks!

jimini_pickit
Jul-12-2004, 9:58pm
I haven't completely learned Angeline the Baker yet, but every time I hear it, it reminds me of "Handsome Molly"...maybe you could learn Handsome Molly.

John Flynn
Jul-13-2004, 8:52am
The "Angeline" I do is an AABB fiddle tune. If you could be more specific about what you like about it, I will probably have a lot of titles for you. Do you want stuff that sounds similar? The same key? Similar tempo? Same level of difficulty?

Nicholas
Jul-13-2004, 11:13am
Mando Johnny: I like the sound of it mostly. One thing I liked was the hitting multiple strings at once. That seemed to give it a fullness that I found satisfying. In all of the other tunes I know it's mostly a string of single notes with the occasional doublestop. This sounded more "chordy" kind of like rhythm guitar with melody notes - excuse my crude terms I'm not really a musician (yet)!

I don't care about the key so much. I did kind of like the tempo. I didn't find it too difficult. I'd say tempo/overall sound and the fullness/richness of the sound.

Oh - this version that I play is from the Joe Carr "Picking Tunes" book (sorry I can't remember the exact title). It was really the only tune out of that book that blew me away.

Please feel free to give me all kinds of suggestions!

JiminiPickit: Thanks! I'll give Handsome Molly a go... I'm off to locate some tab. Is there a particular version I should look for?

Keith Newell
Jul-13-2004, 9:19pm
Try "little Rabbit"

peterbc
Jul-15-2004, 10:42am
I always put Sally Ann in sort of the same catagory as Angeline the Baker, just a simple but really pretty little ditty.

Nicholas
Jul-15-2004, 11:28am
Thanks, I'll try Sally Ann.

John Flynn
Jul-15-2004, 11:30am
Doing the double-stop rhythm/chord thing is more an indication of the arrangement of the tune, a player's individual choice and the player's ability. You can, in theory, do that with any tune. If you listen to the Buckhannon Brothers, Curtis B. plays every tune that way, all the way through, becoming a "one-man band." If you listen to Clyde Curley and the Oxymorons, Clyde only uses that mode for brief emphasis. He chooses instead to play single notes with incredible timing and precision.

Some tunes, though lend them themselves to the mode you describe more than others. Here a few tunes from my playlist that I think lend themselves at least partially to what your are talking about and also have distinctive sound as "Angleine" does:

Bile ‘Em Cabbage Down (ADAEADAEA)
Horse and Buggy-O (AEA – DEADA)
Little Dutch Girl (AEA – AEDAEA)
Old Joe Clark (AEAEA – AGAEA)
Saddle Up Kate (AEADEA – AEADEA)
Sandy Boys (AEA – ADADAEA)
Stay All Night (AEADAEA – ADAEA)
Bonaparte’s March (Am & G)
Cumberland Gap (DGDAD/DG – DGDAD)
Dry and Dusty (D and A)
Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss (DA-DGDA DGDAD)
John Lovers Gone (D - ADAD)
Julianne Johnson (DA – GDGA/GDGAD)
Martha Campbell (D & A)
Old Molly Hare (DGDA/DGDAD - DGDA/DGDAD)
Paddy Won’t You Drink Some Cider (DGDA both parts)
Shady Grove (D Em G D Em D Em)
Step Around Johnny (DAD – DGDAD)
Lazy John (GDGDG – GCDG)
The Wedding of Nancy Ann (GCGDG – GDGDG)

JGWoods
Jul-15-2004, 2:33pm
Golden Slippers- lots of double strings and easy- the Roland White (http://www.rolandwhite.com/bluegrassmandolin.htm) book has it.
enjoy,
gw

Jeanene
Jul-15-2004, 8:06pm
Angeline the Baker is one of my favorite tunes to
play, it's got such a great rhythm, then you
can improvise the 2nd time around.

On my top 3 list, along with Angeline the Baker,
are Old Joe Clark and Little Liza Jane.