PDA

View Full Version : King Chanticleer on my OME Tenor Banjo!

Ken Olmstead
Oct-06-2008, 12:15am
I hope you don't mind.:redface: I just couldn't help it, all this time as "tenorbanjoguy" and not one tenor banjo video. I recently dusted off this tune. It is my favorite to play and the hardest one I play. Could have smoothed it a little more but it is close enough. Hope you enjoy it or at least not brow beat me too hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o7qgzwE3hs

Chris Biorkman
Oct-06-2008, 12:20am
Sounds great!

sgarrity
Oct-06-2008, 12:38pm
Seriously nice pickin' there Ken. The four string tremolo and the triplets always amaze me in jazz tenor playing. You obviously have a good command of the style.

I'm originally from Oklahoma and attended the Guthrie Jazz Banjo Festival a few times. You'd think I would have learned my lesson the first time I went. But oh no! LOL I coulda made a small fortune selling ear plugs there. And the banjo orchestra.....let's just say it was unique!

I broke down and bought a tenor banjo this year. I play Celtic and fiddle tunes on it. My jam buddies LOVE it when I break it out! LOL

JEStanek
Oct-06-2008, 12:45pm
Wow! Nice playing and that was fun to listen to.

Jamie

Ken Olmstead
Oct-06-2008, 2:20pm
Thanks you guys! I agree Shaun, a little banjo goes a LONG way and a banjo orchestra, well that is just too far for me to travel! However, people love it when sprinkled into a set with more...mmm...listenable music. The banjo really only makes people smile...or run!! :)) Obviously I love the instrument, but I went to mandolin to get a dynamic that was not possible on the banjo...at least for me. If you put a violin mute over the bridge, it has a beautifully sweet sound but I have never found a convient way of making it stay on. It always vibrates off! :grin: Thanks again for the kind comments!

DENNY7P
Nov-01-2008, 12:25pm
After listening to that,I'am tuning my 5 string to tenor,Sound like Earl S on a tenor!SOUNDS GREAT