PDA

View Full Version : Need info on an old bowl back made in Italy

El Rey del Mando
Oct-05-2008, 12:04pm
I just picked up an old bowl back at a tag sale. it was made in Naples Italy in 1909. It is in good shape and the label reads,Raffaele TIERI Allievo del FRATELLI VINACCI NAPOLI 1909. Thanks in advance for any info.

John

Bob A
Oct-05-2008, 1:00pm
Signor Tiere is the maker; he was trained at the shop of the Brothers Vinaccia, and the mandolin should reflect the Vinaccia design and overall look.

You will want to string it with very light gauge strings to avoid warping the neck or trashing the neck/body joint. GHS makes a suitable set for not much money. Lenzner and Dogal (both European firms) make bronze and steel sets, respectively. These cost more but last forever, and sound better. Bernunzio stiocks the Dogal Calace RW92b set, which is suitable for bowlbacks. Lenzners are harder to find but I've seen them on ebay from time to time.

El Rey del Mando
Oct-05-2008, 2:26pm
Thanks for the come back Bob. I don't play this kind of mandolin. I am a Bluegrass player. Do you have a rough value on this instrument? Thanks,

John

Jim Garber
Oct-05-2008, 5:20pm
Tieri was an interesting maker who eventually came to New York City and worked there from around the 1920s on.I did not know he was one of the countless disciples of the Vinaccia Brothers, but nothing surprises me there. The Italian instrument making community esp in Naples was very incestuous.

While in New York he made some harp guitars, std guitars and mandolins in his shop on Spring Street.

It would be great if you can post some photos.

Jim Garber
Oct-05-2008, 7:02pm
I have not seen any Tieri bowlbacks but have seen other instruments including this harp guitar (onm Gregg Miner's harpguitar site) and interesting mandola harp (on Eric Schoenberg's site).