PDA

View Full Version : Hyburn

Wiles
Sep-28-2008, 7:19pm
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and new to the mandolin as well!

I was surprised about a month ago when I was gifted a hyburn mandolin. I've never really known much about this instrument, so everything is new to me. I practiced with it at first, but moving and starting university stopped me from playing it for a while (all of my callouses came off :()

The top (4th?) strings sound muted while the rest of them seem to ring more clearly. Is this normal on a mandolin?

Also I was curious if anyone knows anything about Hyburn mandolins? I tried looking them up, but didn't have any luck.

Anyway - here's a pic of the mandolin

Bill Snyder
Sep-29-2008, 6:23pm
It should have a made in sticker somewhere on it if it is imported. Looks very much like the imported Johnson brand of mandolins.

mandolooter
Sep-30-2008, 5:35pm
Yes, all strings should ring clearly.

Wiles
Sep-30-2008, 6:27pm
Thanks for the information. It does have a sticker on the inside, but it doesn't say where it is made.

I know it's a hard question to answer without seeing it, but do you think if I brought it to someone who fixes stringed instruments that the top strings could be adjusted to ring properly?

man dough nollij
Sep-30-2008, 8:19pm
The strings just might be dead. A new set of strings would be a good place to start. There are some good threads here at the Cafe on how to do it.

It might pay to have a shop do it, with you watching. Have them take a close look at the nut slots and bridge saddle, and ask them if they think it needs setup work.