PDA

View Full Version : plectra grip

John Bertotti
Jul-11-2004, 7:29pm
This is a question I asked in this thread but decided I didn't want to divert that topic to much "Quills # & # #Plectra, Placed in a more Historical Context"
Alex no rush I haven't received the material yet. I do thank you and have one question in regards to holding these or any picks. The pick I currently use is relatively inflexible and tends to rotate in my grip. It is triangular in shape, in order to eliminate pick buzz I need to hold it lightly but for better tone I must hold it a bit firmer. Is this common of all picks and just something you learn to control with practice? I wonder if putting a cross hatch texture on the gripped section of the pick would help? Thanks John

Alex Timmerman
Jul-12-2004, 1:17am
Hello John,

I don´t think your plectrum being of a triangular shape eliminates the buzzing of it. If it is ´relatively inflexible´ (as you say yours is) ànd thick the best thing is holding it lightly because due to it´s weight it automatically give a better, thicker, warmer and louder tone.

For ff and fff passages or for sudden sf´s the plectrum of course should be held with more grip, but in general the weight of the (Ranieri) plectrum does the job.

Also one must keep in mind that good or perhaps the best plectra go together with the best mandolins. What I mean is this: a fine quality bowlback has a certain sound, a refined ´resonance´ just by itself. One only has to bring this out with a plectrum of equal quality.

It is very similar to the violin: a fine violin needs a fine bow. One with a certain weight that is held very lightly between the RH fingers and one that does the job almost by itself. The main thing is to keep the bow exactly at it´s place on the strings; between the bridge and the top of it´s fingerboard. #

And here I come upon your other question: what to do if the plectrum rotates between the fingertips?
This is something that often happens when a plectrum is held loosely.

But there are ways to correct this while playing. Depending on what direction you want the plectrum to go, it can be done through a bit more pressure between the RH thumb and forefinger on the right or left side of the plectrum. Or - the faster way, if (fast) music requires - move the plectrum in the right direction with the middle finger of the right hand.

I have some old Ranieri tortoise shell plectra with crossed lines cut out in the gripped section. So yes, this can help.

However, I think it is best to avoid these grip engravings, drilled holes or band-aid plasters on your plectra and to really study how to correct the ´rotating´. I am sure that in time you feel much more secure while playing.

Best,

Alex

John Bertotti
Jul-12-2004, 7:01am
I'm looking forward to completing one of your picks I think this triangular shape is a bit hindering in my hand. The top of the pick is to wide and I tend to let the pick extend to far from my fingers, about 1/2 inch, which means I'm gripping the top of the pick. I do have better control here but am prone to tapping the top plate. I don't want that. Thanks for the reply. John

Alex Timmerman
Jul-12-2004, 3:27pm
Hello John,

I placed the pictures of how to make a Ranieri plectrum in the Ranieri Topic.

Best,

Alex