PDA

View Full Version : Mando Blogs?

GRW3
Sep-28-2008, 8:56am
I use what appears to be the same software on another interest area forum that features blogs from the members. Any thoughts on doing the same here?

Scott Tichenor
Sep-28-2008, 11:39am
At some point we're going to evaluate blogging capability, but I can't yet provide a time frame. For now, there are too many continuing user maintenance issues and questions about how to use the forum to move forward with a brand new feature.

Scott Tichenor
Oct-26-2008, 8:33pm
I'm starting to look into this and think it's likely we'll move forward with it. I see this as a real boon to some users, or would think it would be if they wish to take advantage of it. Say, individual builders, mandolin quartets/orchestras, people interested in researching certain historical instruments, musical styles, lots of other interest areas. I'm really curious how many people we have that are interested. Of course there will be many that have little or no interest, and I'm guessing a lot of people don't know what a blog is, not that it needs to be explained here.

Daniel Nestlerode
Oct-29-2008, 11:39am
Scott,
I'll likely take up a mando-blog. I've been gigging (on mandolin and guitar) more frequently in the last few months and I like to write about the experience of rehearsing for and playing gigs these days. I do it with at least three different sets of people, so I've got a wide range of things to write about.

HTH,
:) Daniel

Scott Tichenor
Nov-26-2008, 12:14pm
Some of you may have seen the announcement on the Cafe home page. The blogging software associated with this forum's features has been installed and is being tested and will be launched in the very near future.

John Flynn
Nov-26-2008, 1:51pm
OK, I am going to embarrass myself here (I guess I should be used to that, LOL!) and ask a dumb question about blogging. First let me say that I know what a blog is, I have visited some blogging sites and I have read about how pervasive the blogging phenomenon is. I also know that once the "lightbulb comes on for me" about blogging, I will probably jump into it with gusto. But I have to say at this point, I don't get it. My question is, what is the attraction of a blog that a good message board (like this one) does not provide? The ones I've seen just seem like some individual's random thoughts. My reaction is, OK, I guess this is someone's diary, but what are they getting out of posting it and what am I supposed to get out of reading it? There is a big piece missing in my understanding here. I hope someone can fill it in for me.

rekx
Nov-26-2008, 4:08pm
I have a blog...I think the address is in my signature. It is basically a practice journal that I have made public on the internet. It is prob. not that interesting for too many people, but I know I would have loved to see a practice journal when I was first starting out. And I know I would be interested in reading the practice/gigging journal of a professional/more experience player.

Scott Tichenor
Nov-26-2008, 5:29pm
OK, I am going to embarrass myself here (I guess I should be used to that, LOL!) and ask a dumb question about blogging. First let me say that I know what a blog is, I have visited some blogging sites and I have read about how pervasive the blogging phenomenon is. I also know that once the "lightbulb comes on for me" about blogging, I will probably jump into it with gusto. But I have to say at this point, I don't get it. My question is, what is the attraction of a blog that a good message board (like this one) does not provide? The ones I've seen just seem like some individual's random thoughts. My reaction is, OK, I guess this is someone's diary, but what are they getting out of posting it and what am I supposed to get out of reading it? There is a big piece missing in my understanding here. I hope someone can fill it in for me.

Blogs are just web sites. There are millions of them, but most of us will only ever frequent a few, and that's because there's something there of interest that continues to draw us back.

They have the potential to provide a wealth of content a message board can't for some very simple reasons. Sure, the technology is similar in ways, but the real difference is the owner or content creator. Someone that writes well, has a compelling message or content to share and is willing to stick with it on a consistent basis can probably blog well. I've seen some incredible blogs, and some I visit on a regular basis. There are many more I visited once and won't be back.

The strength is you can separate your content from that of others, deliver the message in the fashion you seek, and choose whether you wish to let others comment on your postings or not. It's almost like that ultimate pleasure of running your own mini-forum :). Single user input with a focused (on non) message vs. the masses. You can develop individual topics and build on them. It's a personal web space minus the crowd--big difference in a forum with thousands of users.

Sometimes I prefer the sound of a single violin vs. a symphony.

John Flynn
Nov-26-2008, 6:55pm
Good explanation, Scott. That helps.