Sep-27-2008, 4:34pm
Nice! Please tell us about it.

Jamie

Mike Herlihy
Sep-27-2008, 5:51pm
That is an amazing finish!!!

David Houchens
Sep-27-2008, 7:37pm
Thanks. Its sugar maple/adirondack spruce. The picture of the back is closer to the real color. The top doesn't have quite as much redish tint as the picture.
I finished this mandolin back in December. It was built for someone to endorse for me but he decided he wanted to play other mandolins as well, so I got it back. Long story I won't go into.
Anyhow it is just starting to open up. Being a bass player most of the time, it doesn't get played as much as I'd like. Hoping that changes soon. Its a lot easier to carry than my upright.
I don't really know how to describe the sound. Great chop. Mids are real full. Good E string. Maybe I can get a sound clip up somewhere as well.
Again, Thanks for the kind words

Mandolusional
Sep-27-2008, 11:55pm
Nice looking instrument, is that side bound? I checked out your site and listened to the sound clip and watched the video on your "Artists" page, good stuff! I have to say though, when I try to play mandolins upside down, I don't sound that good!

David Houchens
Sep-28-2008, 7:51am
Yes it is side bound. Ivoroid with ivoroid/ black perfling on top and sides.
Eddie,although left handed, plays mandolin,fiddle, guitar and banjo strung for right hand. I have a hard enough time right handed. A pick is still a foreign object to me.I still have to put bow resin on my fingers to hang on to it. And to my previous post, He is not the artist that backed out of an endorsement. Eddie has been a big help promoting my mandolins. And good friend as well . He has #9 and I believe #28.

Skip Kelley
Sep-29-2008, 6:07am
David, the mandolin looks awesome! I love thr dark burst! Great job!!