PDA

View Full Version : My A4 Arrived

WindinBoy
Sep-27-2008, 10:49am
Just got my 1918 A4 in the mail, but unfortunately had to work today, so I'll have to bond with it later. What a sweet tone, and great for people like me who usually play unaccompanied. If anyone cares, I'll post pics. It had a repaired crack, but I am not sure if this would affect the tone at all.

Got it on my B-day!:grin:

John Rosett
Sep-27-2008, 10:54am
What a nice birthday present!

WindinBoy
Sep-27-2008, 11:01am
What a nice birthday present!

Yes, one to myself. A new friend. It was purchased off Ebay, and I think the buyer was 100% on with his description and presentation of the instrument.

Dano Reible
Sep-27-2008, 11:06am
If we care!! Of course we want to see your new baby. Please post pix.

Jonmiller
Sep-27-2008, 4:11pm
If anyone is interested??-naw we just check the Cafe 2-3 times aday for NOTHING!!!
Looking forward.......

WindinBoy
Sep-27-2008, 9:23pm
Thanks, charging my camera now. It is a bit soft-spoken compared to my Kentucky A model, not lot's of volume but a very nice tone, much more woody on the low strings. It is a more complex sound, much more "lutelike"

Are some much softer than others? Maybe the action is TOO low, it is so close, but not a buzz anywhere....

I usually play BG type tunes, on this mandolin I find playing chords and melody more satisfying (in an old-timey way), and the chop is not the strong point, but open chords are definitely sweeter.. I am letting the mandolin show me what it wants to do in a way, it is not a BG mandolin, I sense this much, and need time to understand its voice or how it might be improved.

here they are....
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc311/stevejspins/a4_3.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc311/stevejspins/A4_2.jpg

somebody scratched it above the sound whole, that's some strange pickin...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc311/stevejspins/A4_1.jpg

lenf12
Sep-28-2008, 9:37am
Was it refinished? I don't remember ever seeing a blond A4. Lots of the red sunburst variety and a few of the blond F4s but.....Curious.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Dano Reible
Sep-28-2008, 10:10am
That is beautiful, you should be proud of that one foe sure.

WindinBoy
Sep-28-2008, 4:44pm
Was it refinished? I don't remember ever seeing a blond A4. Lots of the red sunburst variety and a few of the blond F4s but.....Curious.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

You are correct, it was. Does this diminish the value?

Oliver R
Sep-28-2008, 5:12pm
Who cares mate!
It's a beaut that I cant imagine you will be parting wih.

markishandsome
Sep-28-2008, 5:33pm
A refinish cuts the value anywhere from 10-50%, depending on the circumstances. On your instrument, the new finish is itself pretty torn up, and the bridge is also non-original. Paddlehead As aren't really at the top of the collectible ladder however, so these issues might not impact the value too greatly.

As for the volume issue, raising the action isn't going to buy you anything but blistered fingers and the potential to damage the top, which has apparently experienced damage in the past. The bridge doesn't look like ebony from here, a nice Steve Smith or Randy Wood adjustable bridge might make a big difference, or you could go with a period-correct one-piece bridge. Do you know what the new finish is? Is it excessively thick? A lacquer dip refinish might be stifling the mandolins voice. Depending on how much $ you want to sink into this, you could have it redone the right color and thickness. I'd put a real bridge on it first though, and as you say, get to know the thing a little. New strings? Be sure to keep your belly off the back plate! Enjoy!

acousticphd
Sep-28-2008, 5:45pm
Don't worry about value re: the refinish. I have two, and that's one of the last best ways to get a really great bargain. I remember what you ended up paying for this, btw, but I won't tell if you won't. I think you got a great deal. I had been watching this auction for a few days, but fell asleep on it the day it ended.

Could be this one has been asleep for a long time, and will wake back up a bit once it is being played.

mandopops
Sep-28-2008, 7:01pm
WindinBoy, Love your A-4.
I love this model & era. I've got a '17 red A-4. I got it in the late 70's for between $300 or $400. It didn't have a pickguard or a case (I took it home on the subway in a paper bag). It has some wear on the finish where the pickguard would have been. It did have the one piece bridge, but I had an adjustable bridge put on. In others words, it is not mint w/ all original parts, but I loved it then & I love it now.
I think these are very versatile Mandolins. They may not be the perfect "Bluegrass" Mandolin,(yet didn't Red Rector play one), but I like it for fiddle tunes, I like it for blues (Del Grosso plays one.). I like it for swing stuff & I like the way it sounds for Classical as well(maybe a little bottom heavy). They can sound both sweet & funky, single notes or chords.
I agree w/ the others a great choice, this is a Mandolin you can grow old with.

WindinBoy
Sep-28-2008, 8:43pm
Thanks for all the advice and kind words. I might just look into a bridge later.

I think there is something to be said for not refinishing, but this mandolin looks nice.

Zigeuner
Sep-28-2008, 11:44pm
Thanks for all the advice and kind words. I might just look into a bridge later.

I think there is something to be said for not refinishing, but this mandolin looks nice.

I wouldn't worry about the finish or refinish. It's all about the playing to me. I have a 1917 A-3 and it's had some refinish touchup here and there. It make absolutely no difference to me since I inherited it from my Uncle and I won't be selling it.

As far as I know, A-4's are a rather rare instrument. I've not seen too many of them for sale. Yours looks just fine to me. It also has the Fleur-De-Lis inlay like my 1923 TB-4 Gibson tenor banjo. My '17 A-3 has what is commonly called a "Seahorse" inlay. It's all good.

Enjoy it! :)

Jonmiller
Sep-29-2008, 9:50am
Last year I purchased a new F4 from a Euro maker-got a great deal at $3k+ but every time I played it, I wasn't thrilled, it just wasn't the sound I had wanted-but had already spent my cash. I was in Buffalo bros. a bit later with my wife and I played an old Gibson A4, at $1,200 ( maybe it was $1,700, can't recall now) also with a repaired top crack-we both looked at each other and said "We should have bought this"-it was superb and the perfect sound!
I later traded the F4 for a MT2, but someday-an A4

WindinBoy
Oct-01-2008, 9:28pm
Funny thing happened-

I lowered the action on the bridge (which was already low!)
and expected buzzing etc.

Well , not only is it louder and better playing, but it feels like an electric guitar. I am amazed there are no rattles or buzzes anywhere and the action is sooo low.

In this casem, lowering the action improved the tone greatly, I suspect some looseness in the metal thumbscrew wheels or some other defect.

I'd like to get a sound sample up later, perhaps a before and after, I hear a definite ring and resonance that it lacked before this very simple adjustment. I wonder why the previous owner had it raised, maybe he strummed harder than me, dunno :)

Anyway, I think bridges are really important, and am starting to believe the nut and bridge can turn an ok player into something dreams are made of.

I want a one piece bridge, but lack the skills to install one, and believe it was the the bridge, not the refinishing which affected my A4s tone,

Bernie Daniel
Oct-01-2008, 10:55pm
That is a really neat mandolin. I've never seen a blonde A4 so you have a really unique mandolin and a great looking one as well.

I wouldn't worry about resale --unless you have to sell it in a rush some time you can take your time and eventually you'll probably get your price anyway.

I like the idea of trying or find a period correct one-piece bridge and then have a good luthier who really knows mandolins (as opposed to electric guitars --smile) fit it up at the action height you like.

On the other hand a good ebony adjustable but Cumberland Acoustic or Wood Guitars --properly fitted would work as well and probably be a bit handier.

Nice axe.

Larry S Sherman
Oct-03-2008, 7:10am
am starting to believe the nut and bridge can turn an ok player into something dreams are made of.

I'm coming to the same conclusion after hearing some vintage repair guys tells stories. My TG-50 completely changed character for the better after a new nut and bridge shaping.

Bernie Daniel
Oct-03-2008, 12:08pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindinBoy
am starting to believe the nut and bridge can turn an ok player into something dreams are made of.

Larry S Sherman: I'm coming to the same conclusion after hearing some vintage repair guys tells stories. My TG-50 completely changed character for the better after a new nut and bridge shaping.

I definately agree.

If you have old Gibsons like that you can almost take it to the bank that they were carved right -- workers in those days certainly had great work ethic (not a poke at anyone most workers today are fine too I'm sure).

So assuming there are no structural issues like separations, unrepaird cracks, or a warped fingerboard -- then the nut, the bridge, and the strings are all that is left between you and a great sounding instrument.