PDA

View Full Version : The Fern that sat behind me...

Jonmiller
Sep-22-2008, 5:32pm
I was at a great local BG jam the other evening-small, good players and with some nice harmonies. I was playing my beloved MT2 and a fellow that sat just kittycorner behind me went from guitar /vocals and played a few on a Gibson fern (mando's age??)-I don't know what my Collings sounds like in front of me but as that Gibson thundered behind me, :disbelief:I felt like I was playing a toy in comparison and it had a great woody sound.
Just an observation...........................

MikeEdgerton
Sep-22-2008, 5:41pm
Your mandolin will sound different out front but it sounds to me like the Gibson was speaking to you. :cool:

fredfrank
Sep-22-2008, 5:42pm
I had a varnished Fern that I wish I had kept. It had that huge sound, too. There are a couple of these in the classifieds, just in case you're pining for one.

f5loar
Sep-22-2008, 6:41pm
When I think of a "Fern" I think of an 80 year old Gibson F5.
You should have checked the age.

JEStanek
Sep-22-2008, 7:37pm
I played a friends MT once. It sounded much louder and forceful coming at me than when I was playing it. Like Mike suggested, have a friend play yours in front of and behind you and see how it sounds...

Jamie

Ken Olmstead
Sep-22-2008, 8:53pm
Ah yes, "projection" in action! I have talked with guys that play electric guitars in bands and play with an amp called a Fender "Super Reverb." They say that they have trouble hearing themselves on stage but the audience in the back of the venue is in utter pain due to the way the amp "projects!" The F hole instruments seems to throw its sound so I am sure if he was playing your MT2 behind you, that would have been the one that impressed you. I think this is why oval holes are pleasing to so many players because more sound makes it to their ear...at the audiences expense, so to speak (certainly there are other reasons.)

Be sure to post pictures of the "Fern" when you get one!! :))

Funny, but when I think of "Fern," I think of Weber! Hmmmm.....

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-23-2008, 12:47am
My Fern sounds fairly loud to me even from behind it,but on the 2 occasions when i've let others play it & i've heard it from the front,it IS loud,VERY LOUD !!!. However,it's volume is put into context when playing with a Banjo, Fiddle (s),Guitar & Bass & i have to struggle to hear myself play.
It's not that the other players are playing TOO loud,it's just that even a top quality Mandolin is
relatively quiet by comarison. That's why makers strive to extract every bit of volume they can get
from their instruments. I've noticed that when Chris Thile plays his Dude.(un-amplified),he leans forward over the instrument,obviously in order to hear himself better. I've started to do this when i practice sitting down ,? er - when i practice playing my Mandolin whilst sitting (better),
Saska:)

jim_n_virginia
Sep-23-2008, 7:13am
Hey what can you say.... it's a Gibson! :grin:

mandolooter
Sep-23-2008, 8:38am
Not sure if this is relevant but I was once told by a fellow beloved board member that the further away from me he was the better I sounded!

One thing I've noticed at jams is I'll hear a great sounding mandolin and then when its in my hands it sounds totally different...usually not quite so "great". Skill level aside I think it the relative position of the instrument in relationship to our ears that has a huge bearing on our perception. Of course YMMV.

Nolan
Sep-23-2008, 1:29pm
Next time that happens ask him if he'll play a few songs on your mandolin and see how it sounds in comparison.

Timbofood
Sep-23-2008, 3:53pm
I hear a new song in that opening line!
I know what you mean about the "projection perception" they all sound diffferent from above than "out front".