PDA

View Full Version : E. James Combra Mandolin

phantompowerusa
Sep-22-2008, 8:43am
Hello, I am new to the Mandolin Cafe and was hoping someone could help me with a used mandolin I just purchased. It is a E. James Combra #12. I would like to contact the builder at some point to possibly repair the top. Does anyone have any information on the builder? It was made in Rhode Island in 2003. Thank you, Joe

markishandsome
Sep-22-2008, 10:15am
You should try posting this in the "looking for information about mandolins" section. There's also a searchable builders database you can access by clicking on "Builders" in the banner at the top of this webpage.

JEStanek
Sep-22-2008, 10:26am
There was nothing in the Builders database for Combra. A quick Google scan yielded no info on the builder just some of his work on e-bay.

Jamie

Edit: I'll move to the Looking For Information section.

Jim Rowland
Sep-22-2008, 11:07am
Isn't he a sometimes participant on the Cafe? The name rings a bell for some reason.
Jim

amowry
Sep-22-2008, 11:35am
Yep, if it's the same Jim Combra he's here on the 'cafe some. I believe he lives in Texas now. Nice guy-- I'll PM you his email.

Mandoborg
Sep-22-2008, 6:37pm
Joe, i'll drop you a line through the cafe. My AOL account is having trouble for whatever reason, but you should be able to respond to me through the site. This is one of 2 protos built while TRYING to come up with something of a G.A. shape. John Garrity came along shortly after and provided a nice tracing of an actual G.A. to work from. There is also a Cherry one floating around....I often wondered where these are now.

Thanks for all the PMs tipping me off that somebody was looking for info, should check in here more often !

Andrew, i'm still in R.I., but have been building some guitars again so haven't really been in the mando-world. I will send you a link soon to a crazy Doug Irwin/Alembic/ Jerry Garcia guitar i just finished for myself.

Jim Combra
Getarz@aol.com

amowry
Sep-22-2008, 10:05pm
Oops, sorry Jim. Not really sure where I got Texas, now that I think about it...

BeverlyHodsdon
Mar-22-2012, 10:08am
Hello, I am new to the Mandolin Cafe and was hoping someone could help me with a used mandolin I just purchased. It is a E. James Combra #12. I would like to contact the builder at some point to possibly repair the top. Does anyone have any information on the builder? It was made in Rhode Island in 2003. Thank you, Joe

Hi Joe,
Jim Combra is my brother. I happened to get to this website when I was referring my brother to another musician! Jim lives in Tiverton, Rhode Island, his phone # is 401-624-7099, his cell phone is 401-654-3382, you should call him, he is still doing mandolin work.
Beverly

dcoventry
Mar-22-2012, 10:31am
Jim,

We ALL want to see the crazy JG/Irwin guitar you made! Don't play favorites now; we all like wooden producing things.

Bill Snyder
Mar-22-2012, 9:29pm
Beverly, according to his profile page phantompowerusa has not logged in to the Mandolin Cafe since Oct. 2008. Also it is recommended by some that you not post your personal contact information such as phone number or email address in a public forum.
And if you notice your brother had already responded to the thread.