PDA

View Full Version : Post a sound clip into a posting

Gary Hedrick
Sep-19-2008, 12:16pm
Is there a was that I can post a small sound clip into a posting? I would love to be able to post a specific clip of a certain lick or in the case of a recent post I made...Peter Rowan saying his name and where he was from ....ala Bean Blossom in the 60's.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2008, 1:12pm
Is there a was that I can post a small sound clip into a posting? I would love to be able to post a specific clip of a certain lick or in the case of a recent post I made...Peter Rowan saying his name and where he was from ....ala Bean Blossom in the 60's.

It appears that ability to upload a sound file has been disabled on the Cafe. If I'm wrong one of the other moderators will jump in.

JEStanek
Sep-19-2008, 1:34pm
The only files you can upload are image (jpg, jpe, png, bmp, gif, jpeg) pdf, doc and txt files. Folks have attached links to places where a soundfile was stored but sound files were never suported on the older Café. The max file size to upload was 150KB on the old system and you are restricted to the extensions listed above for this forum.

Jamie

Gary Hedrick
Sep-19-2008, 2:19pm
I guess I would ask why?.....copyright issues? or just the plain ole size of it getting out of hand?

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2008, 2:22pm
Both. You post a clip of yourself playing a copyrighted song. We have a potential problem. You post a clip of an artist performing, we have a potential problem. You post a clip that is huge. We have a potential problem. Scott's pockets aren't as deep as the folks that run Youtube. They've had more than their share of legal issues.

mandopete
Sep-19-2008, 6:28pm
Okay, so how does this work with the MP3 page we have?

JEStanek
Sep-19-2008, 6:55pm
Totally separate server space and software (i.e., the MP3 page isn't part of the forum), and explicit permission from the artists to Scott and the Mandolin Café to host the file.

Jamie

Gary Hedrick
Sep-19-2008, 8:41pm
Thanks for the info!

mandopete
Sep-20-2008, 2:11pm
Totally separate server space and software (i.e., the MP3 page isn't part of the forum), and explicit permission from the artists to Scott and the Mandolin Café to host the file.

Understand. Perhaps a suggestion for a future iteration of this board would be the ability to store sound clips (like the photos) along the same lines as the MP3 page. It seems a shame that there are so many nice photo's here on the cafe, but the sound of the instrument is otherwise missing.

Scott Tichenor
Sep-20-2008, 3:06pm
I'm not saying we'd never allow it, but it'd be impossible to police what could be put out here if we allowed anyone to upload MP3s. You have to be careful, and if someone else posts publicly downloadable copyrighted information, it'd be me that'd be answering to the legal system, not the user. I just don't want to have to listen to every possible MP3 that might get added. It's that simple.

mandopete
Sep-20-2008, 6:05pm
Makes sense, thanks Scott!

mandopete
Sep-23-2008, 11:22am
Okay, here's a thought and I'll let others here tell me if this would be a workable solution.

People could post clips over on You Tube and then link those clips here on the Cafe. I don't profess to understand the ramifiactions of such a process, but if there was something like a "sound links" section that contained the links to these files it might be a possible work around.

Here's an example (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7WeMBX5AU)

Bill Snyder
Sep-23-2008, 9:59pm
Like the post a video thread?http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25016

BTW, with the old forum software giving a link a name was a piece of cake. I have not figured it out with this software. How is it done?

JEStanek
Sep-23-2008, 10:04pm
Bill,
1) Click the button for inserting a link.
2) paste the link into the box and click OK.
3) the software returns you to the box and 1/2 of the text is highlighted. Just type new text in there and replace what's highlighted then move to the right of the [/url] section and type the rest of your message.

Examples

First just paste in the link and move along.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ OK... I didn't modify anything.
This time I'll replace the second h%%p://www.mandolincafe.com/ with Home Page
Home Page (http://www.mandolincafe.com/)

Does that work for you?

Jamie

Bill Snyder
Sep-23-2008, 10:29pm
I have no idea why I did not see that before. That is every bit as easy as the old forum software.
Thanks Jamie.

mandopete
Sep-24-2008, 8:22am
Like the post a video thread

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just wish that more builders (hint, hint) would include sound clips along with photo's of their mandolins. It's great to see what they look like, but to me the sound is much more important.

end.

man dough nollij
Sep-24-2008, 3:01pm
BTW, with the old forum software giving a link a name was a piece of cake. I have not figured it out with this software. How is it done?

You can do it another way, too. Write out your message, then highlight the word(s) you want to make into a link. Then just click the "globe and chain" link icon, and paste your URL into the field. That's the way I've been doing it.

mandopete
Sep-24-2008, 4:32pm
Like this ? (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44216)

You learn something new everyday here on the Mandolin Cafe!