PDA

View Full Version : Where are the smilies?

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 8:16am
I hoped I would eventually figure this out.

I thought about sending a PM.

Maybe someone else is as clueless as I am.

Where are the darn smilies? In the old forum they were right there as you wrote your post. Nice clear emotional smilies. I see people using these somewhat less clear smilies and I want to join in. Please help me. (somewhat pathetically smiling smilie)

Julie

Eric Hanson
Sep-18-2008, 8:27am
If you click on "Go Advanced", you can find them to the right.
:grin::mandosmiley:

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 8:38am
Okay, I feel even dumber.

I clicked "go advanced".

Nothing to the right except gray border. Checked for slider bar, no slider bar.

Obviously I'm missing something.

Thank you playin4fun for the try. (smilie crying and crying)

Julie

Peter LaMorte
Sep-18-2008, 8:54am
Julie,
Look at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" you will see two large boxes. One says "Post Quick Reply" the other says " Go Advanced" if you click on that one a reply box come up with the smiles on the right. Hope this helps.
Peter

Bret Roberts
Sep-18-2008, 9:00am
Or just try not using the quick reply button
and use the regular post reply botton.

I did try both and they do seem to work.

:)

JEStanek
Sep-18-2008, 9:07am
Julie,

When you click the Go Advanced button you don't see this
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34740&d=1221215422

Ignore the green arrow... this is for where you click to attach files (photos) from your PC...

You don't see smilies on the right?

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Sep-18-2008, 10:26am
I'm old school and believe everyone should be able to drive a manual transmission, chop their own wood, clean their own fish, etc.

You can enter text on the screen and it ends up being a smiley when the message is posted. Here is a handy chart that shows the code and the smiley it creates.

You'll have to view the image in it's full size.

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 10:36am
No, Jamie, I don't see the upper tool bar or the side bar with the smilies. Oddly enough I see the lower tool bar "Post icons".

There isn't even room enough either of these. Mine says Message: and then directly under is the white box. Off to the right there is just grayness.

I am using the "Go Advanced" mode and in the past have used the "Post Reply" option instead of the quick reply option. I ain't never seen no smilies! (steam coming out of frownie's ears)

Thanks for working on this, I don't know what the problem is. By seeing the screen you sent I now know it's not something I'm overlooking.

Still puzzled but not feeling quite as dumb.

Julie

mandopete
Sep-18-2008, 10:42am
You can enter text on the screen and it ends up being a smiley when the message is posted. Here is a handy chart that shows the code and the smiley it creates.

I think we need one more...

:Lloyd-Loar:

mandroid
Sep-18-2008, 10:54am
I just tried directly typing in the cue and it worked. :popcorn:

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 10:56am
Hi Mike,

I was posting my reply to Jamie when you posted. Thank you for the list. I can do this.:)

Julie

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 11:00am
YAY! Typing off the list worked! I am no longer smilie-less! :cool:

I am still wondering why I don't get the cool tool bars?

Julie

John Flynn
Sep-18-2008, 11:34am
YAY! Typing off the list worked! I am no longer smilie-less! :cool:

I am still wondering why I don't get the cool tool bars?

Julie
Julie:

This is just a shot in the dark, but you might try a different browser. I'm finding that some browser set ups (not just the browser version) work differently with different sites, especially with some of the newer site designs. There is one site I use that I could not even get to with my version of IE. There are some others where IE won't give me full functionality. I downloaded Mozilla FireFox (free) and those sites work with it.

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 11:52am
Good thought, John, I'll see if the computer ogre will let me do that. I haven't tried replying from home - dial up and all - hmmmmmm...

Julie

MikeEdgerton
Sep-18-2008, 1:04pm
OK, I have the answer. Do this:

Go to User CP. Look for Settings and Options on the left then select Edit Options. Go to the very bottom of that page you'll see Miscellaneous Options. Select Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls then hit the save button on the bottom.

Uncle Choppy
Sep-18-2008, 1:20pm
No, Jamie, I don't see the upper tool bar or the side bar with the smilies. Oddly enough I see the lower tool bar "Post icons".

There isn't even room enough either of these. Mine says Message: and then directly under is the white box. Off to the right there is just grayness.

I am using the "Go Advanced" mode and in the past have used the "Post Reply" option instead of the quick reply option. I ain't never seen no smilies! (steam coming out of frownie's ears)

Julie

You seem to have exactly the same problem that my friend Saska has (see this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43924)).

It might be worth comparing what versions of OS, browser you are both using to see if there's anything in common that might explain the loss of top and side icons (but oddly enough, not the bottom "post icons").

I know that he has tried on another PC and so this might imply the problem is more to do with the individual user ID, rather than system configuration (unless the other PC was running identical software & versions).

Hopefully someone can get to the bottom (and top, and sides) of this one.

Brendan

MikeEdgerton
Sep-18-2008, 1:30pm
Look at my post right above yours, I think it will resolve Julie and Saska's issue. It enables the advanced controls. Chances are they are set to the Basic Editor.

Uncle Choppy
Sep-18-2008, 1:39pm
Look at my post right above yours, I think it will resolve Julie and Saska's issue. It enables the advanced controls. Chances are they are set to the Basic Editor.

Mike

Sorry that I missed your post. (I think I was composing my typically long-winded reply while it appeared.)

I've just checked and setting the basic editor does create Julie and Saska's problem exactly and it looks like you've solved it!

Well done. I had a look through some of the settings and couldn't see anything. I must have had what my wife refers to as a "man look". Thankfully we've got chaps like you here to rely upon.

I've just emailed Saska. He will be pleased.

Thanks
Brendan

danb
Sep-18-2008, 1:46pm
Well spotted Mike. I was able to update settings for saska and Mandojulie, they were somehow the only two users to have that "Basic editor" option set.

Mandojulie
Sep-18-2008, 1:56pm
Okay that explains it. Mike, big kudos!

But I went to my CP and it was already in "extra formatting":disbelief:. So I saved it and thought, that wasn't my problem, that isn't going to fix it.:mad: :mad:

Came back here to check it out and found a new message that Dan had already changed it!

It works like a champ!:grin:

I've always felt an affinity to Saska this must be why.

Thanks bunches,

Julie:mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Sep-18-2008, 1:57pm
Life is good.

JEStanek
Sep-18-2008, 2:04pm
Thanks Mike and Dan. I've been trying to figure this out for Saska for a couple of days now. Great saves.

Jamie

jasona
Sep-18-2008, 5:46pm
I didn't realize I was smilie less until this thread. Go advanced worked for me however. ~:>

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-20-2008, 2:15am
Me & Mandojulie - the ONLY two to be deprived of smilies !!!! - just WHERE & WHEN do we claim our compensation for deprivation ? (LOL ! - it could be the title of a tune coming up,now where did i leave my Mandolin ?),
Saska