PDA

View Full Version : new user with old mandolin

twinwill
Sep-17-2008, 9:19pm
Hi there..
I've been reading most of your posts and believe you all have the knowledge to help me.
I recently inherited what seems to be a Tipo B, Anno 1920, N. 132A Embergher. I have no idea how my father (from Swizterland) got a hold of this mandolin that I found in it's own soft case in the attic, in a corner.
It seems to be in pretty good shape, considering age. There are 2-3 sepatations in the bowl, all but two strings are missing/broken. One of the mother of pearl inlays on the edge is missing and the piece of wood the strings sit on (bridge?).
I got a hold of an Italian restorer and told him about it. The very first question was "Do you want to sell it and how much".
Egads, what have I got here?
Someone please help me.
thanks

Jim Garber
Sep-17-2008, 9:38pm
Emberghers are among the more desirable among the Italian bowlbacks and are generally more scarce than the other two big names (Calace and Vinaccia). Your restorer prob knows what you have. Is his name possibly Carlo, Marco or Claudio? Are you in Rome or Naples?

The separations should not be too much of a problem, nor should creating a repro bridge, but there may be some other things that need adjustment. Emberghers have bar frets and these sometimes come loose over time and need to be reseated. Does it have the original tailpiece and cover? Also, is the bowl rosewood or maple?

I suppose you have looked at the usual sites that come up on Google which is how you know yours is a Tipo B? Both of those sites are run by contributors of this site.

I am sure we can help you. Be careful on which restorer you choose. Some may be more judicious and respectful than others.

Bob A
Sep-17-2008, 9:58pm
I don't know where you are, but I would second the concern about caution. As mentioned, Embergher instruments are much sought after, and you might be taken advantage of if you act without circumspection.

There are restorers who regularly post on this site. I suspect that posting comprehensive photos of the instrument would make it possible to get a rough idea of what would need to be done to put the mandolin into playable condition. Of course, we'd like to see the mandolin anyway; it's always a pleasure.

If you plan to sell it, you would be wise to consider an international auction site such as ebay. There is always interest in Embergher instruments, and you would be assured of competitive bidding. Depending on the repair estimate and the extent of damage, it might even be worth considering to auction it "as is", saving yourself the time and expense of restoration. (If you were to do this, be aware that you will receive many emails from potential buyers, begging and demanding that you sell the instrument outside of the auction venue, to them, immediately.)

On the other hand, you may wish to keep it yourself. Doubtless it would be a pleasure to have around, if you are, or should become, a player. If you are in the US, I'd advise caution when replacing the strings. We here are used to heavy, Gibson-style mandolins, but bowlbacks require rather light gauge strings; the neck joints especially are subject to stresses that could result in the destruction of the mandolin were you to use too heavy a set of strings. Certaiinly in its present condition you would not want to string it up, even if you did have a bridge.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I hope you will keep us informed, and use this board as a source of advice and information as the situation develops.

twinwill
Sep-17-2008, 10:58pm
Wow..thanks for the quick replies.
The frets seem to be stable, the tail piece and cover seem to be original. How can I tell if not?
Marco Onotari..familiar?
I'm in Bend, Or, USA but the Mandolin came from Switzerland.
I don't have enough information to make a practical decision, altho I don't have the gift of music and seems it would be wasted with me.
Hope the pictures come thru.
thanks again

twinwill
Sep-17-2008, 11:20pm
more pics

twinwill
Sep-18-2008, 10:00am
Good morning ..
LOL..got an email from Marco this morning. He said he's be interested in buying it for around 700 US. Is that ball parkish or way off?
I did some more research and found one just like mine in Japan for sale for about 750 US, one on ebay/europe for 550 E and somewhere yesterday, can't find it now, one for 9300? (that one was a 1930's model, but not a studio).
Ain't learning wonderful?

Bob A
Sep-18-2008, 12:49pm
Sounds like a wholesale price. He won't have to do much to double his money, I think. But I could be wrong - not been in the market for a while; I'm out of touch.

Tailpiece and tuners look original.

twinwill
Sep-18-2008, 4:43pm
Thanks Bob..
I appreciate every one of your comments. Learning IS wonderful
Marianne