PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bowlback Endeavors

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:33pm
Well, I've been a little busy in the shop lately, but here are some photos of some recent restorations -- first a Larson/Maurer-built "Champion" mandolin circa probably about 1890. You can hear it here:

http://www.thewildwoodflower.com/audio/champmando.mp3

Those are extra-light strings (024-008) you're hearing, keep in mind.

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:34pm
Here are some more photos...

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:35pm
And more...

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:37pm
And more!

Notice the strangely-repaired small back crack... that must've been done about 100 years ago... it's like someone mixed up tar and wood chips and let it solidify over the compromised joint. No way I was going to take it apart! Rock solid...

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:40pm
Forgot to mention on the above mandolin, these are my resto/repairs:

1. Complete and through cleaning, touching up finish, removing scuffs
2. Three repaired top cracks (on the smaller side except for the one next to the pickguard) -- entirely stable
3. Hardware restoration: those tuners would NOT move and were pitch black... likewise so was the tailpiece... now these tuners are actually some of the better ones I've seen on a mando this old

Okay, next up? A GRINNELL BROTHERS-built "Wolverine" mandolin from Michigan!

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:41pm
And more...

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:45pm
And more!

Did you notice the excellent oak on the back? And the wood inlay on the pickguard? And the nice V-neck?

Figures! Both of these have very comfortable, slim V-necks that are pretty enjoyable. Anyhow, that's that!

The Wolverine had the same work done, minus top cracks... but it did, however, have a really huge white glue blob, that when removed, showed a terrible, terrible, unstable crack on the back. So I got rid of all the glue, and, despite my inclinations to splice in some new wood, simply went with some wood filler and a patch on the inside. Not the most attractive repair, but it's a lot better than the ginormous glue mountain that was there before... and you hardly notice it because it's on your thigh while playing!

labraid
Sep-17-2008, 8:46pm
Nice work, Jake. Was this a top-off restoration?

edit: ahh you posted more while I typed. ;) Were these top-off restos? ;D

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:46pm
Forgot to mention, also... new bridge on the Wolverine...

Jake Wildwood
Sep-17-2008, 8:49pm
Nope... I managed it through the soundhole, thank goodness. They were pretty tight cracks... I use long, light clamps for this work, and after I get the glue into the joints, I wipe off excess from the top, then tape a little glue-covered veneer to the bottom of my clamp, insert it through the soundhole, and clamp it where I want it... this takes a lot of testing to get the right spot before I glue it in... but it works, and avoids a lot of ick!!

JEStanek
Sep-17-2008, 9:41pm
Nice work, and playing, Jake!

Jamie

Jake Wildwood
Sep-18-2008, 9:46am
Thanks, by the way, guys! :)