PDA

View Full Version : Lefty MAS

ab4usa
Jul-09-2004, 11:08am
I know everyone says go play them all and then decide but if you are a lefty, there are few if any to play. I'm going to be able to spend less than 2K. As I see it, my options are MK or custom built A Style. I have identified 4 builders who will do an A style in my price range (Newell, Old Wave, Silver Angel, Muth). I would be interested in any comments about their mandolins and also if you think I have missed any builders.

John Flynn
Jul-09-2004, 1:01pm
I can only say what I would do. I would order a lefty Collings MT, which Collings' website says they will do. IMHO, that is the best sounding A style under $2K. It plays great and also looks great in a "no-frills" way, which I like. You probably would not have to wait as long as your would for a full custom build.

Moose
Jul-09-2004, 2:18pm
Wow!! - A mando player... with MAS(!) AND a "lefty" to boot!! - I'm gonna' light an extra candle for ya'.. Anyone care to guess what the ratio of right-handed vs. left-handed instruments built!?? - Although I do have a "lefty" mando-playing buddy ; he had a luthier "set up"/change the strings and make the related "adjustments" in order to play his r/h'd mando - an "F" no less!!.. ; does look kinda' strange seeing it played. But he's happy with it. Good hunting, my friend. Let us know how it goes. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

BrazAd
Jul-10-2004, 9:40pm
Alan,

Your post has interesting timing for this lefty! I am a guitar player with 2 custom lefty guitars, and have had lefty MAS for the past 4 months. After doing a LOT of homework, I placed an order for a lefty A model with Ron Cole last week. (www.colemandolins.com)

He has been *awesome* to work with, and his mandolins are some of the best out there, from everything I've heard and read. Go to the archives at Comando-List and do a search on "Cole" - there are over 200 hits (including posts with "Nat King Cole" lol), and I haven't read a negative comment yet.

Ron has been building for a long time, is a mando player himself, and knows his stuff. A devoted Christian who plays mando in a bluegrass gospel band, and just a great guy to work with.

Tell Ron that I sent you, and he'll only charge you 5% extra. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Good luck - feel free to drop me a line at homedezignATaol.com, if you wish.

Gary Collier
Atlanta

wolfsong
Jul-10-2004, 10:40pm
I have a Muth A style that I am really happy with. Larry is a great builder and a heck of a nice guy. Everyone who has played my mando has had nothing but praise for it. I took it to the shindig on the green tonight and people were comparing it to mandolins costing a lot more money. I really don't think you could go wrong with Larry Muth.

August Watters
Jul-11-2004, 5:52am
There's another option: in addition to left- and right-handed mandos, there are also symmetrically- braced mandos. Some A-styles are built this way, and turning them into LH instruments is a matter of reversing and adjusting the bridge and nut. I'm no historian, but a good player in my area once told me some of the old Gibson A's were made this way.

This Capek A5 (http://www.galleryofstrings.com/1instruments/CapA5-268.html) has symmetrical bracing and could be easily set up for left-handed playing.

August W
http://www.galleryofstrings.com

doc holiday
Jul-11-2004, 7:33pm
Hello There A.L. As a fellow lefty, here's my $00.02. I have a couple of great lefty Collings guitars and am now about 1.5 years from the top of Michael Heiden's list for an F style. I had a nice Weber Yellowstone varnish lefty which I just sold to put into the Heiden. Gibson sent me a short e-mail saying they wouldn't make me a lefty Master Model. I will be playing a Collings MT until the Heiden is made. Over the years I have had a couple of typical lefty custom, bad sight unseen experiences from both G**** and M****. Both of my Collings ( mahogany and braz. rosewood dreadnaughts) turned out to be terrific instruments. For under $2000 I think it's tough to beat the Collings MT.
Regards
Doc

Bluegrass Boy
Jul-15-2004, 8:26am
I play lefty and I've only owned one instrument that was originally made left handed. Both my collings guitar and mandolin are right handed instruments that I switched over to lefty myself. I seems to work just fine. Some say that asymetrical bracing will affect the sound. Some say it wont. My instruments sound good. Obviously, buying a real lefty is preferrable, but not the only one option.

John Flynn
Jul-15-2004, 3:17pm
FYI, there is a used, factory made lefty Weber Bridger in the classifieds.

danman
Jul-16-2004, 5:28am
A.L.,
As another lefty with MAS,I can relate to the problem. I have owned right handed mandos that were reversed and I have had 3 mandos built by different luthiers over the years. My main instrument is an '83 Hutto Master Model and my back up is an F model built by Bernard Allen. Most major builders and every small independant I talked to will build you an instrument. I don't think the risk of a custom order is that great. I have been very satisfied with the sound and workmanship in all of them. Just use someone you are comfortable with. Best of luck!

ab4usa
Jul-16-2004, 6:07am
TO all who replied, thanks.

Mando Johnny and Doc: I really liked the idea of a Collings MT but their UP CHARGE for a left handed A style was $400!! Puts it out of my price range.

I believe that both the Cole and Capek would also take me over the $2K limit.

As for the Bridger in the classifieds, I currently have a Mid-Mo and would really prefer an F hole for my next mandolin.

The thought of converting a used Collings is interesting but, there is a used MT2 for $1800 which when converted takes me pretty close to the self imposed limit of $2K.

I guess this means I'll have to pick a builder and get a custom made left handed instrument.

CharlieKnuth
Jul-16-2004, 12:53pm
You may want to contact Audey Ratliff - he is in the builder directory here at the cafe. He is a left handed mando player and right good luthier. I have heard his left handed F model and his left handed mandocello. Both induced me to get one each for a right handed player.

doc holiday
Jul-17-2004, 4:40pm
A.L. The answer with the Collings A is to change out the nut and the bridge saddle on a right handed model.

Doc

djeffcoat
Jul-18-2004, 5:44pm
Another suggestion would be to check into Rigel mandolins. They make some A styles under $2K. As a fellow lefty I feel your pain.

Don Jeffcoat