PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT2 vs. Gibson A5

lsrodman
Sep-14-2008, 8:34pm
I have been barely holding off on buying a new Collings MT2, just long enough to weigh my options. I think I've pretty much decided on the Collings, but how does everyone feel about this instrument in comparison with a new Gibson A5?

As far as I can tell the appointments are pretty similar, but is it just me or is the Collings fretboard radiused and the Gibson is not?

Any and all comments or other suggestions would be really appreciated!

J.Albert
Sep-14-2008, 11:31pm
RE:
<< I have been barely holding off on buying a new Collings MT2, just long enough to weigh my options. I think I've pretty much decided on the Collings, but how does everyone feel about this instrument in comparison with a new Gibson A5 >>

Here are some possible differences to consider:

COLLINGS:
- Red spruce top
- Radiused fingerboard
- Wide frets
- 1 1/8" nut width
- Gotoh tuners

GIBSON:
- Sitka spruce top
- Flat fingerboard
- Narrow frets
- 1 1/16" nut width
- Gibson/Grover tuners

I will _guess_ in saying that the Gibson A-5 is probably carved similar to the (now discontinued) A-5L model, and has "that traditional Gibson tone" (if that can be defined in any way). I've never played a Collings "A" model, but folks here seem to say that Bill Collings gives his mandolins a slightly different voicing than Gibson (again, if that can be defined in any way).

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it), the Gibson tends to give you a "traditional" sound AND feel (with the narrow frets and nut, and flat board), whereas the Collings is something of a "more modern a-model" mandolin. Nothing wrong with either approach, just depends on what you're looking for.

Some other thoughts:
Do you have to buy "new"? If you want a modern-era Gibson a-model, why not look for a late-model A-5L? You might even find a Derrington-signed one in the 2000-2500 range. They can be very nice instruments.

Also, have you looked at Weber's new "Yellowstone A's" and "Fern A's"?

- John

Chris Biorkman
Sep-15-2008, 12:22am
I say go with the Collings and don't look back. In my opinion, the MT-2 is a much nicer mandolin than the F-9. The MT2 has much nicer appointments than the F-9. A much fairer comparison would be between either the MT and the F-9, or the MT2 and an A-5L (although I would take the Collings in both instances). YMMV, of course.

atetone
Sep-15-2008, 12:39am
I have a 1999 A5L and a Collings MT2V widenut.
Both are really nice mandolins but they are different.
I would like to have the tone of the A5L with the playability of the Collings and I would be a happy man.
The Collings is somewhat louder and has a really thick chop but the Gibson has a growl and controlled power that just grabs me. The problem with the A5L for me is the skinny 1 1/16 (barely) width at the nut. It also has a flat board which is ok.
I just wish it were a bit wider because it is really just a bit too tight for me.
On the other hand the Collings wide-nut at 1 3/16 gives plenty of room, but I think that the normal 1 1/8 width with the radiussed board would probably be wide enough.
If I had to get rid of one of them the smart move would be to keep the Collings but my gut feeling is that when it came right down to the crunch I would keep the A5L.

lsrodman
Sep-15-2008, 6:05pm
thanks a ton for the input guys. I didn't even realize the Gibson has a thinner neck. That makes me wish I had a dealer in town where I could try one out. I actually played a Weber Yellowstone and a Gallatin this weekend and wasn't really thrilled with the tone of either. I would go used in a heartbeat if I had something to track down... but at this price range I can't think of anything that tops the MT2 in terms of tone and playability.

Are the Derrington-era A5L's really that much better?

atetone
Sep-15-2008, 7:16pm
Just to be clear on the Collings neck width at the nut, I think that the standard is 1 1/8 but the "Widenut" model like I have is 1 3/16.
I think in retrospect that the standard would have suited me better. Never satisfied!
The Gibsons can be quite skinny,,, I think 1 1/16 is the goal but some might even end up a hair skinnier than that unless you get the "wideneck" model like a Sam Bush or an F5G "WIDENUT".
The difference between a 1 1/16 neck and a 1 1/8 neck, while it doesn't sound like much is quite a bit. Surprising.
As far as the Derrington signed A5Ls go, they changed some build details in mid to late 1999 which supposedly resulted in an improvement in tone. I don't really know a lot about that but mine is Derrington signed and it sounds really good to me.

atetone
Sep-16-2008, 11:26pm
I see that Elderly have a used 1999 Derrington signed A5L with a 1 1/8 inch nut width for $2385.
That is a decent price.

Rick Schmidlin
Sep-17-2008, 12:03am
MT2 hands down!

jim simpson
Sep-17-2008, 10:19pm
I think the neck on the Collings will feel closer to what you are used to if you've been playing a Weber. I don't mind the neck on my Collings as it is chunkier (with a radius fretboard) than the skinny neck (with flat fretboard) on my Daley. I go back and forth between the two and don't seem to notice the difference.

Capt. E
Sep-18-2008, 2:16pm
Have you thought of a Weber "Bighorn"? About the same price as the Collings (a bit less?). Same width nut, radiused fingerboard, sitka spruce top, fully bound, inlaid neck and peghead, cast tailpiece, brekke traditional bridge (adjustable under full string tension). I love mine. It has a different sound than the Collings that I prefer. Loud with a rich tone.

MWM
Sep-18-2008, 3:15pm
Both Gibson and Collings are fine mandolins. The Collings will cut louder, clearer leads with it's red spruce top. It will stay crisp and clean as you pick it harder and the low end will mellow with time. The Gibson will likely have more low end "wuff" for the first few years and a more traditional chop sound. Somewhere between those two mando voices might be a Collings MT with it's Engleman top.

I like A styles. A few years ago I was looking for a Gibson A5L with great sound. I played a bunch on several trips to Elderly. On one of those trips I played a Collings MT2 that really impressed me. I never found an A5L that felt right in my hands & ears. Finally this last spring I came by a used MT2 with an outstanding voice. It has a clear cutting high end yet retains all the mellowness I could ask for. In the fit and finish department Collings wins hands down. You need to play a bunch of both and buy what sounds best to you. As stated: They're both fine mandolins.

David Horovitz
Sep-18-2008, 4:22pm
Are the Derrington-era A5L's really that much better?[/QUOTE]

Almost as good as the Carlson-era A-5Ls! :popcorn:

pjlama
Sep-18-2008, 4:36pm
I've owned both and would highly recommend the Gibson A5 or A5L. The neck shape is much more comfortable and the Gibsons tend to feature the midrange, contrary to the above post I found the opposite to be true when comparing them. I know a lot of folks here a big Collings fans but the neck shape is very uncomfortable to me and the look like they're hatched in a lab rather than built. Of course this is only my opinion and not intended to upset anybody.

woodwizard
Sep-18-2008, 5:01pm
I have a friend that has a nice Collins A model. But It doesn't have that Gibson sound that I like. Kinda wish I still had my old A5L that I bought new in '02. They look so cool.

Rick Schmidlin
Sep-19-2008, 12:53am
This cool dud perfers the MT2:cool:

Chris Biorkman
Sep-19-2008, 1:11am
Collings mandolins might look like they were hatched in a lab, but I think they have really raised the bar in terms of fit and finish. There are a few cosmetic details about Collings mandolins that bother me (the C & C look to the headstock binding, the cheap looking tailpieces, the way the f-holes are cut) but I don't think I've ever seen mandolins so consistently well crafted. Much, much cleaner than your average Gibson IMO. I think neck shape is just a matter of preference. I actually found the hard v on my old MF-5 to be pretty comfortable. To each his own, I guess.

pjlama
Sep-19-2008, 9:20am
You're correct in stating that Collings has helped to raise the bar and set a higher standard. While many (most) Gibsons leave a bit to be desired in fit and finish category I prefer them to to the Collings stuff. So take your pick; hatched in a lab or cobbled together :)):)):))

sgarrity
Sep-19-2008, 9:50am
Aahhh....the Gibson vs. Collings debate. How'd I miss this thread?? :popcorn:

I've played a lot more "good" Collings than I have "good" Gibsons. Not saying Gibson doesn't make some really fine mandolins. Some of the best mandolins I've played have been Gibsons. But then again those were Distressed Master Models.

My opinion (fyi....it's my opinion, so that means you don't have to agree with it) is that Collings makes a more consistently good mandolin, especially in the ~$3k range. Meaning you can order one on-line and have a pretty good idea what it's going to sound like when you get it. If I was buying a Gibson, I'd definitely make sure I got a 2-3 day approval period on it.

woodwizard
Sep-19-2008, 10:07am
My cool A5L I use to have up ...loading pic test :cool:

sgarrity
Sep-19-2008, 10:11am
I'll add that I really do like the design aesthetics of the A5L. I like the traditional look.
I have always wondered why Gibson didn't do a Red Spruce topped, varnished A model. I'd think that would be relatively popular. But then again, maybe I'm worng.....

Bill Van Liere
Sep-19-2008, 11:07am
I'll add that I really do like the design aesthetics of the A5L. I like the traditional look.
I have always wondered why Gibson didn't do a Red Spruce topped, varnished A model. I'd think that would be relatively popular. But then again, maybe I'm worng.....

I have also had this same thought Shaun. Considering that Gibson's pricing is percieved higher than smaller builders it seems that getting the authentic Gibson sound at an A model price would be a good move for them and us. But what do I know, I am the guy that started a thread years back thinking that Gibson should reintroduce a snakehead oval.

The old Collings vs. Gibson showdown; as a group I like the Collings a bit more. If my house burned down today, and I needed a mandolin tomorrow (which I do), I would just drive to Elderly and find the Collings A that I likes the best. Great little workhorse.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-21-2008, 11:29pm
Its pretty simple really if you want the best mandolin and that connection with the great American mandolin tradition -- get the Gibson.

Its just a better all around instrument than a Collings. QED

Chris Biorkman
Sep-21-2008, 11:39pm
I disagree. But to each his own.

mandocaster
Sep-22-2008, 12:40am
It's late and I probably shouldn't post this.

I really want to like Gibson. But if I put more than $2K into a mandolin I expect that a lot of care goes into its construction. I admit I haven't looked at as many Gibsons as some people on this forum. I have handled probably 20 -30 new Gibsons in the last 20 years. My opinion is that about 60% should be marked as seconds - horrible binding, major finish flaws, crude fretwork, etc.. The sound has been very inconsistent as well.

A Doyle Lawson sig at Fuller's vintage in Houston was really nice, and I probably would be happy with it. When it got down to pulling out my credit card, I couldn't quite do it.

I don't mean to say that there aren't great sounding Gibsons out there. I have heard them on recordings and live performances, and the aforementioned Doyle Lawson was quite good (both workmanship and sound). Maybe someone else has had an entirely different experience. I hope so. I am simply relating my experience, admittedly limited, with the brand.

I bought a Collings. I am very satisfied in every respect.

Rick Schmidlin
Sep-22-2008, 1:14am
I bought a Collings. I am very satisfied in every respect.[/QUOTE]

Cool:cool:

lsrodman
Oct-04-2008, 1:01pm
Hello again everyone. Just thought I followed up. Yesterday I bit the bullet. Bought myself an absolutely GORGEOUS Collings MT2-V Blonde with bird's eye maple and tortoise bindings. It sings, its barks, and it play's like a ripe apple picked right from a tree. I sat in the Music Emporium in Lexington, Mass for about 2 hours playing every Collings and Gibson they had, and finally decided on the varnished MT2. It's just a little bit sweeter than the lacquer and it'll certainly be a much bolder instrument in a few years, provided I can keep it safe (knock on wood).

Thanks for the discussion everyone!

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-04-2008, 2:08pm
Congrats, I have my MF5 for three years and it opened better then I ever exspected. Enjoy the ride:mandosmiley:

woodwizard
Oct-04-2008, 4:25pm
Some will like Collings ... some will like Gibson's ... you'll always get that ... Who cares ... as long as it's what you like ... that's what counts. Peace ... enjoy your Collings

Carleton Page
Oct-05-2008, 10:32am
Congrats! I have been meaning to get down to Lexington to play that Mt-2v. I have an Mt that I love and have meen wanting to try the top-O-the line Collings A. Did they have a lot of Collings and Gibson mandos in stock? It is just far enough that combined with my schedule, I have a hard time getting down there. Great store though. Any other mandos you tried and liked before the mt-2v won?

DougC
Oct-05-2008, 11:14am
O.K. I'll throw my hat in the ring too for Collings. I started out playing a friend's 50 year old Gibson A5 and bought a Collings MT because I needed to trade a guitar in the deal. The Gibson had a nice sound and feel but the Collings had much more in all respects.

I played with some friends in Montreal this summer. They had a Webber F5, a Gibson Black Face A4, and a Gibson Pumpkin. Two of these Gibsons are 'collectors items' and they each had a distinctive round, mellow sound. The guy that has the Webber said my Collings was better in all respects. It certainly cut through the Banjo volume and it just had a different voice from the Gibsons.

I went home and put some Tomastik flat wound strings on the MT and guess what, it sounds big, round and mellow and still cuts thru the whole band. I'll have to spend 8-10 thousand dollars to get a 'better' mandolin.

Douglas McMullin
Oct-05-2008, 4:49pm
I would lean strongly for the Collings; I think it gets a sweeter tone, and wins hands down in the playability department. I have played lots of older Gibsons that I thought were incredible, but I have never played a newer one that I that I found to be all that desirable.

Off topic, but I think the same is true for Martin guitars. Sure the vintage guitars are amazing, but I find the current offerings to be uninspiring compared to other newer makers.

lsrodman
Oct-05-2008, 10:40pm
Ctone-
They actually have the largest stock of Collings they've ever had right now, according to Joe, the guy who helped me out. Their Gibson stock is pretty low; two f-styles, a vintage '39 and a 2006 f-style. I sat with the lot of Collings and eventually widdled it down from an MF, MT2, MT2v, and finally went with the V. I've barely put it down since.

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-05-2008, 11:41pm
Ctone-
They actually have the largest stock of Collings they've ever had right now, according to Joe, the guy who helped me out. Their Gibson stock is pretty low; two f-styles, a vintage '39 and a 2006 f-style. I sat with the lot of Collings and eventually widdled it down from an MF, MT2, MT2v, and finally went with the V. I've barely put it down since.

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

Play on:cool:

tatwell
Dec-27-2008, 6:47pm
I realize that this is an old thread, but I happened upon it while searching for info on the Collings A-styles. I have been doing some price checking online, and the MT is over a $1000 less than the MT-2(the exact model was an MT2-O). My question for those who have them, is whether the difference between the MT's and the MT2's price is reflected in a difference in the sound? I want to get a good mandolin in a price range of roughly $2000, or close to it, and have settled on an A. The MT's I have priced are affordable to me, but the over $3000 mark for an MT2 would be a real stretch, and probably not a viable option at this time. I see a lot of good reviews of the MT's here on the cafe, but I am not sure whether the MT or MT2 is what is being reported on. I assumed that unless otherwise specified, when one comments on an MT that it is an Mt and not an MT2, but I could be wrong. Thanks for any information provided,
Terry

fredfrank
Dec-28-2008, 12:06pm
I would think the Collings and Gibson A-models are different enough from each other that you'd have to try each of them out. I had a Varnished Fern for a while that I really liked the tone of, but the workmanship was not quite up to the Collings level. I've also owned a few Collings mandolins (5) and I currently am enjoying my MT2V Birdseye.

I guess you can put me in the Collings camp, too. Oh, and I also own and like my BRW A-model. Totally different sound. Workmanship every bit as good as Collings.

Terry - I've played a lot of MT's that I would be proud to own. I think the only difference is cosmetic, although I thought I had heard somewhere that the MT is the only mandolin in the Collings line that uses a different spruce wood for the top. All the rest are red spruce.