PDA

View Full Version : Hilburn Mandolins

John Flynn
Jul-08-2004, 6:37pm
I just read the interview with Jim Hilburn in the June edition of Mel Bay's Mandolin Sessions. It has pix of about the coolest looking F-5 I have every seen, IMHO. My MAS is flaring up! I was also interested to find out about Hilburn's connection with the guy who makes Nugget mandos, my ultimate fantasy brand. So, this has probably been discussed before, but what has been anyone's experience with Hilburn mandos? What price range is he in? His website doesn't say.

Here is link to the Mando Sessions article:
http://www.mandolinsessions.com/jun04/interview.html

grsnovi
Jul-08-2004, 7:45pm
I agree that Jim's black-faced F5 with the abalone fern headstock inlay and natural flamed back is GORGEOUS!

Jul-08-2004, 7:54pm
Man I think that is one of the most beautiful mandolins I have ever seen.

Steven Stone
Jul-08-2004, 9:36pm
I've been playing #21 for almost two years. It is a wonderful mando. I've already contracted for #42. Perhaps I'll also put an order in for #84 and #168 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

But seriously Jim is a fine builder, a great guy, and a really good mandolin player.

Fuzzyway
Jul-08-2004, 11:15pm
I've had #24 for a little over a year and it is one of the finer mando's I've had the chance to play. Mando-medic and I have compared #24 to several of the premium Gibson signature models and none of them made me want to trade.

Contact Jim Hilburn for current prices and wait time, but for the quality of work he does, I would say he is undervalued.

Best, fuzzy

Thomas
Jul-09-2004, 6:58am
Sadly for me, but not for Fuzzy, #24 was my mandolin before my vehicle had to have a transmission, which prompted the unfortunate sale. #Jim is a wonderful guy and the mandolin was spectactular. #I'm sure it's gotten even better. #Wayne Benson played it and was mightily impressed. #Of course, he was playing a Loar on stage that day, so I'm sure he was more wrapped up in that than in my mandolin, but he did like it very much. #At the time - a bit over a year ago, it was under $5K for a killer F model. #I would agree that he was/is underpriced for the instrument.

Now I slog along with a Rigel A Natural, but I CAN drive around town. #That's probably best anyway. #I don't play much anymore, probably because I don't have #24, and Fuzzy is the real deal, unlike me. #I rest easier knowing it's in better hands.

Mandolin Enthusiast
Jul-12-2004, 3:23pm
I've already raved at length about Jim Hilburn and his mandolins in other discussion areas... so I'll try to tone it down.... but I've gotta' add how much I respect Jim's artistry and integrity as a builder. #He continually strives to build a better mandolin than the one he just finished.

I have been playing #17 since 2000, and have just recently started breaking in #30 (which is Jim's varnish prototype). #Mary says if I order another Hilburn mandolin, she'll leave me; I'm sure gonna' miss her!
--Drew Horton

ShaneJ
Jul-12-2004, 7:54pm
Holy moly! That is awesome work. I'm sure the tone matches -- I'd sure like to find out.

Jim Roberts
Jul-12-2004, 10:08pm
Drew: #If you buy another Hilburn and Mary leaves you, who's going to cook those great pancakes in the morning at Winfield? #Sorry we missed you for the "Little Bluegrass Festival." #Sure you had a great time, though.

See you in two months at the Walnut Valley Festival!

Scotti Adams
Jul-13-2004, 6:03am
...man..Ive always thought that Jim makes one of the top 5 best looking mandos out there....Ive gotta get my hands on one....I know they have to sound just as good as they look.

Bob DeVellis
Jul-13-2004, 8:02am
I've always really admired Jim's work. His instruments have a correctness fo proportion that is subtle but dead on, to my eye. His attention to detail is exquisite. I'd love to be able to own one of his instruments some day.

Dfyngravity
Jul-13-2004, 1:02pm
jim is making great mandos....you can see the progress of that blacktop mando here on the cafe as many of you know under mandos in progress(pages 3,5,6). i have been put on the list...so now i have 3 years or just under 3 years to make up my mind how i want that baby to look like. i am still blown away by this pic that jim posted hilburn mando (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=7510;st=275). look at the flame on that baby...its killer!