PDA

View Full Version : Wandolin

larrybivey
Sep-12-2008, 8:33am
Hello Everyboday;
I'm new to the site, and I just wanted to post some pics of my recently finished Moongrazer mandolin kit. This is my first attempt at mandolin building. I call it a (Wandolin), the pic on the back is my wife, I wanted to honor her and this way she'll always be close to me.I made a couple of changes to the kit, I added the MOP pickguard and the inlays, working on a MOP truss rod cover.

Mandolusional
Sep-12-2008, 10:16am
Hey congrats on your first build, looks nice! I've never seen a photo on the back of a mandolin, how's you work that out?

John Flynn
Sep-12-2008, 10:30am
This would be a great idea for justifying mandolin purchases! "Yeah honey, I know that Gilchrist I ordered is $25,000, but I'm having him put YOUR PICTURE on the back of it!" :grin:

larrybivey
Sep-12-2008, 1:02pm
waterslide decal paper, you run it thru your printer, just like printing anything else. Then spray 2 coats of clear lacquer over it, let it dry cut it out and soak in water for a few seconds until it releases and apply, then finish out. I have 15 coats of nitrocellous lacquer over it and then went thru the wet sand process.
thanks larry

Mandolusional
Sep-12-2008, 2:44pm
Never heard of that done, and incidentally, I meant "how'd" as in "how did," now "how's you work that out?" Ha, well the new, 3-hour edit time frame caught me this time! Again, good work and I hope you keep at it.

Out in the Woods
Sep-12-2008, 4:33pm
I like it! But my biggest question is: have you plugged it in yet?

larrybivey
Sep-12-2008, 7:50pm
yes, and this thing sounds great. I run it thru a Fender 212R amp, the dual pick-ups were an upgrade that I highly recommend.

steve V. johnson
Sep-12-2008, 10:20pm
Hey Larry,

Nice work!

Now, about the two pickups... how did you come to use two and how did you figure the distance
between them? I gather from your recommendation of the 'upgrade' to two that you've built one of these with just one pickup, is that right? Where did you put that one, nearer the bridge or nearer the neck? ... Or centered?

I'm curious because that's not a lot of real estate to work with.

Thanks!

stv

TomMorici
Sep-13-2008, 3:18am
I thought I should point out that,Larry made some creative modifications to his build by replacing The standard black pickguard with a handmade pearl colored one.
He also custom made a neckplate (cool shape) with the engraved name
"Wandolin". I like the modification he did on the peghead shape.
Nice stylish look. The Inlays just add the final touch.
And what a tribute, to always have the person you love close to your
Heart whenever you play your mandolin.
Great Job Larry!

Bernie Daniel
Sep-13-2008, 5:20am
Beautiful result on this project congratulations on a job well done!

Great ideas for improving/upgrading it too. You mentioned it was Moongazer Kit?

Can you comment on how much an effort like this would cost and how much time you have in on it?

I assume all the extras that you added -- pickguard and inlays add to both the expense and the time.

The result was certainly worth it but I was wondering about the actual cost and effort invloved. Thanks

larrybivey
Sep-13-2008, 7:55am
First of all let me say that this was a kit provided by Tom @ MoongrazerMusic. I can not take credit for all the work, Tom has a excellent kit. Everything is done for you, all I did was a little finish sanding, staining, sealing, more sanding and buffing. The pick-guard material from Stewart-McDonald $50.00, the pic on back was done on decal waterslide paper (10 sheets approx. $6.00) the backing plate was made out of aluminum (1/8" x 2"x 36") purchased at Lowe's ($7.00), shaped and polished. The inlays were the hardest, I forget who I purchased them from, but they were internet purchases (about $65.00) As for as time about (6) total weeks. I'm retired so I really didn't keep track of the time element. Also there was time between finish coats of lacquer. There were some delays and wait time on orders. I would guess total amount of approx. $200.00 to over the kit price. But when I built this I had a vision of what I wanted and that it would stay in my family long after I'm gone (maybe as a family keepsake for my childern to remember me by). Again I would like to say that Tom has a excellent kit and the price is very reasonable for what you get, and one thing you get from him that you don't see much anymore is CUSTOMER SERVICE.

mando.player
Sep-13-2008, 1:46pm
Couple of questions Larry.
If you didn't have the neck plate what would be there? Metal grommets?

Did the fretboard come fretted? How did you finish the fretboard?

If my schedule ever frees up, I'd like to do one of these. That area behind the bridge is would be a cool place for a decal...pinup girl, vintage decal of some sort.

jefflester
Sep-13-2008, 3:58pm
First of all let me say that this was a kit provided by Tom @ MoongrazerMusic.
Since you've made the typo a couple of times now.. it's MoonGAZER. Looking at the moon, not munching on the grass. :))

http://moongazermusic.com/ba5elmakit.html

larrybivey
Sep-14-2008, 7:02am
The fretboard came attached to the neck and fretted, inlay dots were also installed by Tom. I have not finished the neck at this time, I'm not sure I will. There were gromets for the neck attachment provided. My personal preference is the neck plate, and I'm sorry about the (Moongrazer), I had a senior moment. Thanks for correcting me, I also apologize to Tom. The only screw holes I had to drill was for the tuner attachments. The headstock also comes standard with the snakehead profile, which you can alter if you want. You really have to check out the (kit), it's like I said before the only thing I had to do was my inlays, picture, staining and sanding and finishing.