PDA

View Full Version : New board is fantastic

surfcow
Sep-11-2008, 2:29am
Three cheers and great job!

ApK
Sep-11-2008, 9:23am
Looks good, and it's a system I'm familiar with, so one less thing to remember, great!

Are going to still use the mandolincafe.net address for this new forum, or do I need to change all my bookmarks?

Uncle Choppy
Sep-11-2008, 9:39am
I'm loving the easier, quicker searching. It's fantastic that we can now return results as posts rather than threads. I've already found lots of extra interesting stuff from the old forum that I'd missed when using old search facility!

I like the photo album idea too.

While I'm at it, could anybody tell me what the idea behind board friends/contacts is?

It seems that you can group together the people that you know and/or regularly correspond but does it make it easier to keep track of their posts or stay in touch if you use this feature?

Also, what is the difference between a friend and a contact?
I know that a friend will be sent a friendship request (presumably a contact isn't). Any other key differences?

Thanks again for the upgrade. Several years ago, I used to perform data migration on large IT projects (for a US company called PeopleSoft) and know how much effort goes into getting these upgrades right!

Cheers
Brendan

Mandolusional
Sep-11-2008, 2:47pm
Quite right, this a big upgrade in every way so far as I can tell! As a web dev, I can say this was a fantastic transition, thanks so much for the hard work and creating this great community.

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-11-2008, 3:08pm
mandolincafe.net is being retired for now. The old forum will remain where it is for some time though. Users should definitely change bookmarks, links, etc.

Looks good, and it's a system I'm familiar with, so one less thing to remember, great!

Are going to still use the mandolincafe.net address for this new forum, or do I need to change all my bookmarks?

MikeEdgerton
Sep-11-2008, 3:10pm

The old board will remain intact in read-only mode at that address.