PDA

View Full Version : Classified ad:  if seller posts too low a price?

telepbrman
Sep-03-2008, 5:12am
For a buyer and a sell, what is the best way to handle something like this? I know I hit our classified ads to get a deal; we post here to sell mandolins to our fellow pickers; we take care of one another here on the cafe and a trust is here...so: when someone posts a price for a mandolin that's low, then refuses to sell because they find out it's worth much more, and they wait out for a personal message for the highest amount to arrive, I feel they betray the cafe.

As a seller, I feel the best way to deal with his lack of research, is that he should pull the add, or go to the bay with his mando and not tarnish the brotherhood here...but no, the add still stands, we'll see...

As a buyer, I decided to post here to see how the cafe feels.

So, to recap: How does a buyer deal with a post where the amount is lower than expected, where the buyer jumps on the post, because it's a super deal, and the seller refuses to sell, and waits it out for the highest PM type cafe bid? Thanks, dy.

mrmando
Sep-03-2008, 5:25am
I vote for having the moderators lock this thread ASAP -- and you take this up privately with Scott and the other party. Other threads have shown conclusively that when deals go sour between people who both have access to the Cafe, no good comes of airing the dirty laundry in public. I think it's fair to expect that the ad be edited to reflect the actual asking price -- but it would be better if you dealt with that discreetly, rather than inviting all of us to speculate on the particulars and on the advertiser's motives, yadda yadda.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-03-2008, 5:34am
I totally understand your view,but i don't necessarily agree with it wholely. If the instrument (or whatever)in question, was only a few $ more than the asking price,i'd tend to agree. But if the 'item'(shall we call it,)is found to be worth substantially more,then i think that the seller should withdraw the item from the 'original' sale & then re-post it for sale at the new price with a proper explanation as to why. That way, any prospective buyers are made courteously aware of the circumstances surrounding the sale of the item. That's the way i would do it personally. On the other hand,we don't see many complaints on here when a seller can't quickly sell what we know to be a 'quality'
item & then has to reduce his price to a ridiculously low one,which he knows will be taken up. We all like a bargain,including me,but i apply my personal principles,by asking myself 'do i really want to rip this person off ?' - i usually find the answer is NO.
There is another circumstance,which i know occurs - that of offering goods at a stupidly low price,just to get the interest,& then hiking the price up once prospective buyers turn up. I don't think that our members on here go anywhere close to that - EVER.
The other old marketing ploy,if things aren't selling well at a very low price (because people think that the goods are so cheap they can't be any good) is to put the price UP.
That way people think that the higher price dictates 'superior' quality & they buy the goods - market traders have done this for decades because it works,
Saska