PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on recording

Keith Newell
Aug-28-2008, 10:15pm
I have been getting asked a lot for recordings of my mandolins and would like to make some. Here are my questions.
What kind of mic for my home computer.
What recording program.
How far away from the mic should I be.
How long of a tune can I play ( I tend to ramble on and on).
Are there free websites I can post it too? Is youtube one?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks all,
Keith
http://www.newellmandolin.com

Pete Martin
Aug-29-2008, 1:33am
Take your instruments to a recording studio and do it there. #It may be worth the investment. #

Find out where top players in your area record. #You might consider hiring a top player to record as well. #

Folks may buy your instruments based on what they sound like on these recordings, so get the best sound recordings possible. #It will probably be less cost then a real good mic.

My favorite mando mic is the Royer SF12 stereo ribbon mic, but it is pretty spendy...

Spruce
Aug-29-2008, 11:48am
"I have been getting asked a lot for recordings of my mandolins and would like to make some."

Surely some of your customers already have?

"What kind of mic for my home computer.
What recording program.
How far away from the mic should I be.
How long of a tune can I play ( I tend to ramble on and on).
Are there free websites I can post it too? Is youtube one?
Any advice is appreciated."

So, are you looking for solo recordings of each mandolin that comes off the bench, say to post on your website?
Sounds like a winner....

You could get a little 2-channel interface, a Rode NT4 stereo mic, and download Audacity (it's free)...
You could do a lot of damage with that setup for solo mandolin....

And this will make purists cringe, but the little tiny stereo mic on my MacBook does a damn nice job of recording a solo mandolin. #
Just go into Garageband, hit "record" and you're happening...
Maybe that would be a good wham-bam solution for you.

I have tons of great pres and mics, and that setup sounds pretty good to my ears, and is as easy to do....

I could probably record and post some samples if you want to hear what that setup sounds like...