PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac sky

pjlama
Aug-21-2008, 9:37pm
I just got the new Cadillac Sky disc today. I did the preoder deal from Skaggs Family Records. I drove the jeep today with all the windows out but what I could hear sounded great. I love this band, great players, great writting while being accessible and fun. I'll give it a good listen over the next few days but if it's as good as the last one I'll be wearing it out.

Chris Biorkman
Aug-21-2008, 9:39pm
I like them a lot too. I wish they played them more often on XM. I don't buy many cds these days.

pjlama
Aug-21-2008, 9:45pm
Go ahead buy the disc and rip it. I loved satellite radio but it makes you lazy. Sirius screwed me so I've been rocking it old school with the disc changer for over a year, I use the iPhone too but just wearing out a great record is awesome. Over the last year a few stand outs have been; Fork In The Road, Chameleon, How To Grow...

Chris Biorkman
Aug-21-2008, 9:56pm
Ok. I'll buy it, but if I don't like it, I'm holding you personally responsible. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

matt1898
Aug-21-2008, 10:23pm
I love Cadillac Sky. The band I play with, Kickin Grass, and them have performed at the same festivals for several years. Great bunch of guys. Certainly one of the more original bands out there..
I remembered when we played a fest in Kentucky last year.. Kickin Grass, C-sky, Carrie Hassler and Hard Rain, Remington Ryde (i think), Wildfire and others. It says a lot when all of the other bands came out, stood on the sidelines, and watched Cadillac play their set that night. Amazing!

Daniel Wheeler
Aug-24-2008, 12:23am
Bryan and the guys are some of the nicest folks you will ever meet and what an absolutely ridiculous group of musicians. They are probably one of the most...cohesive bands on the scene.

And does anyone else think Matt is the sickest banjo player around!?!

Crowder
Aug-24-2008, 12:55am
Bryan and the guys are some of the nicest folks you will ever meet and what an absolutely ridiculous group of musicians. They are probably one of the most...cohesive bands on the scene.

And does anyone else think Matt is the sickest banjo player around!?!
I agree 100% with all of that (especially the part about how nice and personable the guys are). However I have to say I am somewhat disappointed in the new CD. You can sort of tell that the first album was written over a period of time while the second sounds as if was probably written more hastily, maybe on the road. It seems like there is a C-Sky arrangement formula where a lot of the choruses sound the same to me, and the lyrics are more telegraphed (as in you can see what's coming a mile away). There are many really good cuts, and comparing any record with Blind Man Walking is difficult.

I guess I was hoping for something else. FWIW I feel the same way about the Stringdusters' latest. I guess it's tough when you compare these bands to their debuts, which are consistently phenomenal.

Daniel Wheeler
Aug-24-2008, 8:59am
I haven't got either the stringdusters or c-skys new CD yet surprisingly but I have heard a large portion of both and I know what you mean. I guess with even the best band the formula starts to happen as they become under the gun to get more material out. Akus and a host of others come to mind.