PDA

View Full Version : I have got to hand it to Gibson!

mandoman4807
Feb-05-2004, 5:55pm
I have been using J75`s exclusively since owning my Sam Bush three months now. I just restrung with Bush monel strings and I have been further blown away by the tone. I was hesitent at first because of the smaller diameter of the E, A D strings. No doubt they have a smooth balanced sound on this mandolin. # # I will be stocking up with huge quantities of these!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell

Scotti Adams
Feb-06-2004, 5:52am
mandojeremy and I have been preaching the praises of the Bush/Monels for along time...Im glad more people are catching on.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoJeremy
Feb-06-2004, 9:05am
Agreed Scotti but it could be bad for us if they do catch on! Shortages of Bush/Monels and then what would we do?

Nolan
Feb-06-2004, 10:31am
One more happy Monel user here! I got a bunch on clearance at guitar center for $4 a set, they're great!
I have one set of Sam Bush monels and the rest are just billed as 'Gibson monel strings'. Do they still make the Bush set with the extra strings? That's a cool feature.

mandoJeremy
Feb-06-2004, 10:41am
The Bush set is the only set you can get now except for the rare leftover stock of monels.

LeftCoastMark
Feb-06-2004, 12:47pm
What are the string sizes on the Bush monel's? Are they a Gibson string, and if not who makes them? How do they compare with the Bill Monroe set that comes standard with new Gibson's?

mandoJeremy
Feb-06-2004, 11:13pm
.011, .014, .025., and .041 I would seriously doubt that a "Gibson" string is a gibson string because there are only a few string manufacturers in the US and Gibson isn't one of them. Try GHS, D'Addario, or Martin. There are a lot of string label manufacturers though!

Steven Stone
Feb-07-2004, 9:57am
[ I would seriously doubt that a "Gibson" string is a gibson string because there are only a few string manufacturers in the US and Gibson isn't one of them. ]

I do not believe this is correct. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Gibson does have a string manufacturing facility in the US.

I KNOW they make guitar strings there, and I suspect that Gibson mando strings are made there as well.

mandoJeremy
Feb-07-2004, 5:33pm
I stand corrected, I didn't know they wound their own strings.

misifus
Feb-08-2004, 12:35am
I believe also that John Pearse manufactures his own strings, as well.

-Raf

BigJoe
Feb-08-2004, 12:44am
Gibson has owned their own string mandufacturing facility for many many years in Elgin Illinois. I believe John Pearce are made by GHS.

G_Smolt
Feb-08-2004, 1:08am
Question for jeremy and scotti, with preamble to set frame in which to answer...

I have picked a few different types of strings, and have settled on j-75's, not for any silly "macho" reason , but because the larger diameter A and E sets. It seems that the tension allows the pick to "pop" off of those strings better than lighter gauge-and-tension strings...so, the question:

Do you find the lighter A of the Bush set sort of floppy?

Oh yeah...TS pick, semi-triangle (halfway between 346 and dawg styles), and moderate attack...not really Bush-esque arm flailing, but definitely not "quiet arm".

Thanks in advance for any discussion you might provide.

mandoJeremy
Feb-08-2004, 10:14am
Believe it or not, I don't have any trouble with the A string and never did. When I first started using the monels about 6, 7, or 8 years ago I would switch out the A strings and use a .016 because I was used to the J75's and I did that for about six months until I ran out of extra A strings. Then I just used what it came with and I got used to it. It is much easier to do pull offs on the A with a .014 actually. I don't think you would have any trouble with them but you might want to wait until the new D'addario FS74's come out and try them because they have a .016 I think and they are stainless steel wound just like the Monel/Bush strings.