PDA

View Full Version : Tenor guitar

marcusmd
Aug-18-2008, 1:51am
Hi there everyone,
I was stoked when I found this part of the Cafe.
I have just fallen in love with a TG and bought it. No musical experience, down in Australia and looking for some advice on where to source some on line info and a few songs to play.
Have been to TG.com as well
All help accepted!
Marcus

OzMando
Aug-18-2008, 5:25am
check out the tab section on this site. And welcome, I'm no TG expert but it's great to hear of someone else in oz tuned in 5ths http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

marcusmd
Aug-18-2008, 5:38am
Will do!

Just had 1st lesson and can play a whole scale!

What did they say "Run Forrest Run!!!!"

JeffD
Aug-18-2008, 9:29am
How are you tuning it? I tune mine C-G-D-A so I come in like a mandola.

One consequence of my fooling around with tenor guitars is that my mandola playing has really improved.

marcusmd
Aug-18-2008, 8:59pm
CGDA is the way it is tuned at the moment.
Will fool around once I am more confident.

Funnily enough the Mando was the other choice of weapon so pretty happy that they are so similar because I love the sound.

M

Bernie Daniel
Aug-20-2008, 8:38pm
Welcome Marcus,

Yes TG's are great fun and as was mentioned are great trainers for the mandolin and mandola and you have to work the pinky and also move up the neck more.

Not to chase you from the Mandolin Cafe but do you know about the tenor guitar site?

tenor guitar site (http://www.tenorguitar.com/)

Martin Jonas
Aug-21-2008, 3:54am
Also, given the scarcity of instructional material or teachers for tenor guitar, you should probably look for books/DVDs/teachers in tenor banjo. Same tuning, similar scale length, and most things are readily transferable. The main difference is the different sustain, which results in some things sounding good on banjo (e.g. fast picked triplets) but not so good on tenor guitar, and vice versa.

Martin

marcusmd
Aug-22-2008, 7:41pm
Thanks Martin,
Have just pcked myself up a Tenor Banjo for Beginners book (pretty rare in Aus as well) and now have something to go on!
Will keep youall in the loop with stupid questions once I get to page 2